Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a puppy March 2018 that was misrepresented to be American Bulldog/GSD. After a few months I did a DNA test. He’s actually Staffy/American Bulldog/Bulldog and Cattle Dog. I have another 8 year old Carolina Dog who hates everyone and everything except his pack. We had a pretty bad scuffle a few months ago when the Staffy was about 14 months old. The CD corrected him while we were outside and the Staffy attacked my CD, pinning him on the ground in a choke hold. Long story short I’ve been keeping them separated while we are not home. We haven’t had a major problem. I have also continued walking him, working on sit, down and heel. A trainer friend of mine calls him a knucklehead. He also tends to be a bully. This morning (first time) he growled at the CD with intent and tonight at me when I was taking a bully stick away from him. This has never happened before. My trainer friend originally said give him until the end of June to see if all the testosterone was out of his system since we got him neutered late at the vet’s suggestion. She said if that wasn’t resolved to rehome him since I would have two alphas. I don’t let them play rough for an extended period so the fighting won’t happen again while we are outside. It’s mid June and this arises. I’m concerned that this may not be a training issue as my trainer friend indicated. Has anyone else had this type of situation and if so, how was it resolved?

As an aside, my husband reminds me frequently that the CD does not like the Staffy.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had this same problem with my senior female CD and a young female Catahoula. The Catahoula wants to play but when the CD "tells" her no in no uncertain terms, the Catahoula becomes the aggressor and has bitten the CD. We've had to do the same thing - keeping them apart completely - for about 6 months. Then, after that, only together when we're home. It's a bit better now and there's been no fights. I wish I could say there was a better resolution. Funny thing is that the Catahoula and my other male black mixed breed (who knows what) play together without any problems. He corrects her and she backs off. The only thing I can think is that he's bigger and the Catahoula recognizes him as the alpha. Whereas the CD is very old and weak and can't defend herself well against her.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts