Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little bit of background information before getting into the parts I need help with. I work for the local Humane Society which means that I take home the neediest of the dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens to foster when it is needed. We have a housefull of our own rescues which is primarily made up of foster fails (4 dogs and 5 cats). The last two puppies that we kept that the momma gave birth at our house, only one was intentional.... but the one that we had planned to keep (Madison) and the other one that later became ours after being returned when he became sick (Mason) both came across parvo when being spayed/neutered from a dog that was not yet symptomatic but was shedding the virus. They were the only two out of the litter of six that got it. Long story short, this means that our house and yard are contaminated, and will be contaminated as a parvo risk zone, for the next many years. This gives us a unique opportunity to foster the dogs that get parvo (from wherever, usually not from other dogs in our shelter though) after they have been treated but are still shedding the virus.

Enter Mary-Kate and Ashley.... these two dogs had been found running at large for 2 weeks through a rural neighborhood by two good Samaritans. After seeing that no one was claiming these puppies the people began attempting to find the owners with no luck and doing all the necessary start hold steps from the local animal control, they got brought to us. These puppies seem to be about 3.5 - 4 months old now based on their teeth and up until the point they came with me had zero social skills. They broke with parvo the day after they came into the shelter which means they have been with me post treatment for about a week and a half now. After both of us working tirelessly to teach these girls how to be dogs, they have grown to be a part of our "pack" and neither of us can imagine them going anywhere.

Now here is our struggle, it is very rare that we change a fostered animal's name because usually it had become a part of them and habit for us by the time we decide. However, my name is Ashley so that does not work (we called her puppy until we decided to call her Willow for now) and Mary-Kate is too much of a mouth full. We are open to keeping Willow, but we like names that sort of match for the pairs of animals, though it can be through theme or starting letter (for example: Madison and Mason, Pepper and Ginger, and Amy and Bernadette- Big Bang Theory). Here is a (not great) picture from the day I took them home, the left is Mary-Kate and the right is Ashley/Willow. Mary-Kate's ears now stand straight up.

Last question... what breed do you think they are? We have been thinking maybe Shepherd x Retriever or Shepherd x Chris?

Sorry for the long post!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
How about do a tree theme. I think Willow and Sequoia sounds pretty. Or you can look up other tree names.

I'm going to say I think these puppies look so different it might have been a two daddy litter. MK looks like a Lab/Shepherd to me and Willow looks like a Golden (maybe Lab thought) and maybe Shepherd, but probably something fluffier too like an Aussie.

Reactions: Okeedoke22

·
Registered
184 Posts
Willow and Maple
Willow and Hazel
Willow and Juniper.... I love tree names :)

You could also do Willow and Elora, as in the fantasy book/movie "Willow"

If you want to change them completely, you could do Sugar and Spice :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I second Willow and Juniper!

Gorgeous girls, so beautiful. I definitely see Shepherd x Lab in the lighter girl. The darker one could also be Shepherd x Lab, but I'm not sure hmm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts