Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I rescued a 6 month old shar pei/lab mix from a shelter. She's very shy but I see progresses being make. (I taught her to sit already!) I try to take her outside at least once an hour or after the major things like food or water. She doesn't even sniff at the ground though. The other day I was outside with her for two hours and nothing. She seems to hold her potty for days sometimes. This morning I took her out after her breakfast and she just wanted to go back inside. When we did she immediately went on the floor. I'm just not sure how to associate going potty with outside when she doesn't seem interested at all. :confused:

·
Registered
44 Posts
She seems to hold her potty for days sometimes.
That's rather weird. Has she been recently checked by a vet? It sounds like she's very constipated.

As for encouraging going outside -- do you take her on walks or otherwise play outside? Make the outdoors fun! Activity will stimulate the bowels. Take her for a nice walk after meals. Have treats with you and throw a party for her when she does go.

If she is going on the same spots in the house, use some sort of an enzymatic cleaner to clean up the residues. Sometimes the smell itself will stimulate them to use the same spots again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts