Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Kris. I just got my little guy yestersay. He is 6 weeks old. He is a lab austrailian Shepard mix. We are doing the crate training deal. Got a crate today and a bed. He went right in and layed down and loves it. We haven't shut the door until tonight. I understand all the techniques. But do I put him in there and let him whine all night? I realize if I let him out its not for play. Either bathroom or back in the crate. I've read that u should give him a treat and have him go in his crate, close the door, step away for 20 to 30 minutes and come back and let him out. Then continue to longer stays in the crate. I've had him 1 day. Do I leave him in there all night cold turkey? I realize this will not happen over night. Tonight I left him in for 2 or so hours. He whined and barked. I took him out and he's silent and sleeping next to me on my chair. What should I do??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Aww, he's so sweet!! Congrats on your new puppy!

Babies can't stay in the crate all night, they can't "hold it" that long. Just like with a very young human baby, they need attention in the night; they might need to go outside to potty, and they need attention from you.

Here's a link with some tips for crate training:
Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States

Personally, I could never do crates at night for puppies. They needed their "mommy" and I put them in my bed. My husband wasn't pleased when the dog took up more space than a reasonably-sized person in his bed :p. But honestly, keeping them close to you (in your bed, in a dog bed in your room, in a crate close by) is a good idea when they are this small, just like with human babies, so you can hear them stirring, needing to potty, needing attention.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the feed back l. I have a 1 year old boy and a 5 year old boy I totally get it. The last 2 nights he slept with me on the couch the whole night both times. Got up in the morning and took him right outside where he did his business. Not once did he whine while on the couch sleeping with me. The occasional face lick. But that's it. I may try and bring the crate in the bedroom with me so he knows I'm right there next to him. It's worth a try atleast, I think.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
I think bringing the crate into your bedroom makes sense. Here's some great advice on crate training:

http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

Just like with babies, I think you'll have to decide whether you want your dog sleeping by himself in a crate (similar to a crib) or co-sleeping with you. The more accustomed your puppy becomes to sleeping with you on the sofa, the more he's going to expect it. Some dog owners love sleeping with their dogs; others don't

Because you'll want to avoid the scenario of your puppy kicking up a fuss in his crate during the night, you might want to preemptively set up an alarm and take him out a couple of times during the night.

Lastly, since you have young children, I'd recommend reading this thread:

http://www.dogforum.com/general-dog-discussion/safety-children-babies-dogs-115969/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts