Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, I found you on Google while searching my issue, so hopefully maybe you can give me some answers, or at the least some reassurance.

We rescued a sweet sweet 2-year-old Border Collie/???? mix from the shelter yesterday, and we love her to pieces already. She's a super sweet little girl, and fills a big hole that was in our hearts after having to put our 14 year old Aussie/Border mix down in September.

She seems happy, she seems to feel right at home, if obviously curious about her new surroundings.

But she won't poop! She had an accident the night we had her home because we were missing what was apparently her "signal" for having to go out and she went and took matters into her own paws.

But since then, nothing. I've taken her out a lot, let her run around on the leash to "get things moving" a little, taken her for walks. I live really rural, so there's no dog parks to visit, really, or any place in my little village that people with dogs congregate. We gave her pumpkin, and we have a bottle of mineral oil in the house if need be. I don't know what food she was getting at the shelter, but we feed Aldi's brand grain-free, salmon and sweet potato.

Should I just chalk this up to the stress of getting a new home, and new food to boot? I don't mean to be that dog mom, but it's concerning.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is she straining at all? This may be TMI, but I find my system can grind to a halt if I'm in a new place (e.g. 1st day of holiday). So if she's eating and drinking OK, I'd wait a bit longer for nature to take its course.

·
Registered
152 Posts
on arriving home George did one huge poo and then nothing for 36 hours so its not uncommon...

Not sure how your budget is but Aldi? Not the best place for pet foods as they do tend to source from the cheapest possible place and I know here in Europe that has often meant chicken from dubious sources such as China...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the pumpkin definitely helped. Cause she let everything go overnight and was much perkier in the morning. It was like the office floor had been invaded by a team of highly trained Doberman Poopers instead of one smallish Border Collie mix. 🤣

I'm starting to wonder now if, on top of the constipation issues, if she's anxious about being out on a leash to do her business. Only thing I can do is just work with her on that. I'll try the milk if it seems to continue.

As for the dog food comment: It's worked well for us, I read the ingredients. This is the US Aldi so maybe we're getting ours from elsewhere? It says Made in the USA on the bag. I don't know. I know my Aussie wouldn't eat ANYTHING until I started giving her that and suddenly she loved her dog food again. To each their own, I suppose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, maybe this is just part of your dog's adjustment period and as someone else said just let nature take its course. Hopefully it's nothing serious and soon she'll be comfortable enough to do her business. If not, the vet is always an option. Also, I personally shop at Aldi and love getting good deals. The original Bel Vita breakfast biscuits can be ridiculously expensive for example. If your dog likes the food and has no problem with it then you probably have nothing to worry about. However if you want to give her a healthful boost, there's a wellness protocol you can give her. It's made with all natural ingredients and it's based on the work of Dr. Johanna Budwig. Not only is it affordable it also helps your dog thrive. Look it up and see if maybe you want to give it a try. We all want to keep our pets happy so keep an eye out for how she's doing the next day or so and if you're still concerned about her bowel movements or lack thereof then pay the vet a visit. I'm sure everything'll work out fine though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Word of caution. Be extremely careful with milk. Most dogs can’t tolerate or digest milk products. Please ask your vet about what to do the next time your dog gets constipated. He’s the best one to know about this

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Could very likely just be the stress of a new environment. Ours will stress out when almost anything out of the ordinary occurs. We are or just had some major air conditioning work done, which meant workmen in and out of the house, upstairs, downstairs and outside. After two days of that, our poor Samantha was completely out of sorts, stomach upset, became irregular, didn't want to eat, and just didn't feel well. Fortunately it only took a day or two of normalcy for her to return to her normal self.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Word of caution. Be extremely careful with milk. Most dogs can’t tolerate or digest milk products. Please ask your vet about what to do the next time your dog gets constipated. He’s the best one to know about this
Goats Milk is a universal milk for many pets and people. Many pet stores will carry it from various brands like primal, answers, the honest kitchen, etc... It works extremely well for adding moisture, probiotics, and some even have added spices like cinnamon, turmeric, or ginger.

it’s great for any transition of food, sensitive stomachs, and for puppies to add more good gut bacteria than bad!
Goats milk is more easier digestible because of the smaller fat globules and higher concentration of small and medium chain fatty acids. So, this is what makes it the universal milk!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts