Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new puppy, he is two days away from being 8 weeks old. He isn’t eating much, mostly if I hand feed, but not enough for a puppy. He tested negative for parvo, his solo sample came back negative and he was dewormed yesterday. I know it’s probably normal for him not to be eating so much right now considering I’ve only had him one day. But any tricks to maybe encourage him to eat more? I wasn’t hand feeding him at first till this evening when he didn’t eat again. I wanted to make sure he got something in his belly. He is currently eating a little dry kibble mixed with wet so the food is soft for him. He wouldn’t eat just dry kibble last night. Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
What brand of food was your pup eating before you adopted him? A change in food could be the cause.

When we brought our Maltese rescue, Jack, home, he wouldn't eat the food I already had my other pups on, so I went to the pet store and bought what his foster mom had been feeding him. He didn't want to eat that either.

Anyway, it could be that it's just him adjusting to his new environment.

I have hand fed my pups when their appetite was off, so I might continue that for a few days. He should come around and eat on his own shortly, but if he doesn't I would put in a call to the vet to see what they would recommend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts