Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to be a long story and I need help. It has just been one day. I have a "Baby" dog which I have had for 2 years. She is a Shitzu X Australia Terrier and so beautiful. But I work from home so she has been with me 24/7 for those years and follows me everywhere. I cannot go to the toilet without her. I am closing down the business from home and want to get out with people again so I thought I would buy a puppy to keep her occupied - like a friend. So yesterday I brought a shitzu X pug. So I have a Baby and a Pugsly hehehe. I am so worried about Baby though as she is not taken to the new puppy. They look so alike as puppies and maybe I jumped in but Baby is having panic attacks now. She hates storms and she is reacting to pugsley the same way. Should I give up pugsly for Baby as she is definitely my true love dog. I know I sound silly but Baby was there for me and she got me out of the hole I was in. I so want her to get on with pugsly and it has only been one day but I already feel like they are not going get along. If I am going to do anything then I need to do it now or should I just wait and see

·
Registered
135 Posts
OMG, that has got to be the cutest pooch I've ever seen!

Well, I would give Baby a little more time. I don't work outside the home and got Opal two years ago. She became my shadow, went everywhere with me, clearly preferred me over the rest of the family. Makes perfect sense, I spent the most time with her. When she was a year and a half old, we got Jasper. She wasn't thrilled at first, but didn't act "scared" as you describe. She was growly and would always get in between him and me. Whenever I was paying attention to him I would call her over and offer her a treat. She soon associated him with something pleasant and before long they were romping around and playing together.

She still gets jealous sometimes if he's curled in my lap and she thinks she should be there, but I do think getting Jasper was the best thing for her. If you take it slow with Baby, I think she'll come around as well. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have to agree with 3neighs. She has been like an only child and it will take time and patience for her to accept her newest pack member.

I also second: OMG! That has got to be the cutest pooch I've ever seen!! Good gosh she is a total fluff ball. Super adorable!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I takes time to introduce a new member into the family. I, too, am going through the same thing. I have a 4 yr old pom that is snippy to our new pup, and I am constantly making sure they both are safe, and comfortable. Be patient. It doesn't happen overnight. She did the same thing to my now 15 month old dog, and they cant even go pee without each other now. It can be frustrating, but hang in there.
And Again like it has been said, OMG!! that is such an adorable little puppy!! good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG what a beautiful baby - I love her so much and I hope she will love her other pugsly as I brought him for her as I am going back to work 9-5 soon. I just wanted a companian for her as I just need to go the shops and she gets upset. I know it takes time and I hope they take to each. I love my baby and I want her to be happy. Is it silly to get a dog for another dog? New pics soon LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Adding a new member to a pack can be difficult, you need to ensure that baby understands that she is still the alpha to your pack leader and the new pup is below her. It also sounds like you existing pup is suffer heavily from separation anxiety, as much as you have brought a new pup to keep her company the existing dog needs to get used to being away from you.
You may want to research ways of working through this anxiety.

Good luck
Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts