Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we pick up the new puppy this Saturday morning, and I feel as though I've been ready forever, and then this morning something totally changed. I woke up this morning, looked at the little stash of puppy stuff we have for her, and I felt this horrible pit in my stomach like before you have a job interview.

I don't know where this came from. I remember being super excited about picking him up. I DO remember being quite upset about two or three weeks after he came home. He was biting me, peeing in the house, keeping me up.

I'm hoping this will pass. I think I might be nervous because we are in a new city, and this time my fiance is actually here with me (he was in California finishing his master's when we got Levi), and my brother lives with us as well. I love them both, but some of their interactions with Levi make me cringe. Repeating commands, playing too rough, getting him over-aroused, and I want to avoid that for new puppy.

Hopefully on Saturday I'll see her little face and relax, but right now I'm just a big old ball of nerves.

·
Registered
507 Posts
*hugs*

New situations will do that! It takes everything you're excited about and makes it terrifying. I know you'll be fine and it'll be awesome. In this case, it sounds just like stage fright. You're prepared, you know your lines, it's just coming down to the wire and your brain is freaking out a bit. It'll all be okay, promise! <3

·
Registered
291 Posts
I felt the same thing before bringing my second dog home. I was so excited and totally ready until the day before we went to pick her up, and then I was just terrified. By the time we got her home and introduced her to our older dog, I was over it and she's been wonderful. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I'd be concerned if you weren't a big ball of nerves. It's a big change! But you're a wonderful mom to Levi and you're going to do great with Heidi!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone, I guess it is totally normal. =)
@Sha - Thank you, I'm such a worry-wart!
@Elrohwen I think I'm worried about having two dogs, so I'm glad to hear you had such success. Levi loves dogs, so he's going to be extremely happy!
@jclark343 Haha thanks, I'm excited to see the differences between the BC and the Aussie. I'm going to rely on my sweet Levi to keep me sane. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
How exciting! You've got nothin to worry bout, you've been through this before. Females might be easier to raise than males anyhow.
Good luck! If it's the having multiple dogs thats worrying you, then you shouldn't have a problem if Levi likes other dogs. I've had multiple dogs all my life, some that hated each other but learned to like each other. Levi will probably like her just fine, might put her in her place a few times since she's a puppy, but nothing to worry about. Can't wait to see her! :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I am so excited for Saturday now! Tonnes of pictures please :D

You will be fine, don't worry *hugs*. Your prepared, you've got through the puppy stage, youll be fine :D

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@BusterBCsMum Ahhh thank you. My nervousness is slowly ebbing away and I'm getting excited. My fiancee is seriously next-level excited. He missed Levi's young puppy days, so I think he's excited to experience this. Although we will see if that remains when she is peeing in the house, crying all night, and showing just how sharp milk teeth are.

I was looking into some training programs, and thought I would check out Susan Garrett's Ruff Love book, but after reading some of the reviews, it sounds kind of awful.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh I think that means that fiance (soon to be husband! Almost a month now right?) needs to take the first few nights duty! Also the first few clean ups! So glad to hear the nerves are going down and the excitement is going up!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahhhhh, I'm so excited puppy comes home tomorrow! Be prepared for lots of pictures! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yaaay! I was just wondering when you would be bringing her home (edit: because apparently I missed you mentioning Saturday in the first post, oops...)! So excited for you! And very much looking forward to the pictures! :D

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Tomorrow is the day! YAY! Can't wait to see the pictures!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully the pictures work okay, since I am using my phone (still like 2.5 hours from home!) so here is new little Heidi!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey everyone, I thought I'd give a little pupdate (har har har). So we introduced the two dogs in the park down the road, just in case Levi got a little territorial about the house. The introduction did not go as well as I would have liked. Levi was super excited to see us, and then he saw the puppy and went crazy. He charged at her, and she screamed and rolled over on her back. She remained pretty afraid of him for the remainder of the afternoon and evening.
We put her in the crate, and of course, she cried bloody murder. She would let us sleep for an hour and a half, then she was up crying, so we are pretty tired today.
A bonus though, she has grown quite fond of Levi, and he is playing very nicely today. He has scaled back his roughness, and he is doing a great job of both supervision and tiring the puppy out.
We have had zero accidents in the house, although I'm pretty sure that's due to a high level of monitoring. All in all, everyone is settling in nicely.

Reactions: Sha

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
EEEEEEE She is absolutely beautiful! I cannot wait to watch her grow up!

·
Registered
507 Posts
So cute!

And while the introduction wasn't perfect, it sounds like things are settling already! That's awesome!

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh no! Sounds like you had an eventful weekend! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more stories! Hopefully she is adjusting well!

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I forgot how mentally and physically taxing having a puppy is. We are tired, and she is the mouthiest puppy I've met. She's very sweet, and Levi and her seem to love each other now, but I have to admit, I've cried once already from sheer exhaustion. As I write this, she is in her Ex-pen screaming. She also has decently bad diarrhea, but she was on Purina Puppy Chow at the breeders (I looked up the recipe, and yikes) so we have had more than a few accidents as I re-adjust to how often the puppy needs to go out.

Reactions: Sha and Sabina88

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Oh they are so cute together! Oh man she does sound like a hand full. Are you going to be getting into dog sports eventually with her?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts