Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Last week we just got our first puppy, it is chow-samoyed mix and is 8 weeks old.

When we first brought her she was nice and calm, however, now when the time goes she seems to be more and more naughty! and we becoming quite :eek:

First of all, she biting us all the time, most of the time only us, not furniture. I read in different articles that it helped to a lot of people to put the puppy for a while in the different room alone, however, immediately when we do that, she wees in the other room. We feel like she does that on purpose because we put her 'away'. She does this even 5 minutes after we come back from a garden and after she do her use on the garden. We are trying to put her in the garden every 15-30 minutes but even between at home she sometimes wee.

We even got for her training pads but she just go around them and wee on the floor.

We are just trying to train her from the very beginning as was advised everywhere but feel like we failing somewhere? :(

Please help. Any advice will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
495 Posts
When you take her outside, do you give her lots of treats and encouragement? If you're not making a big deal out of rewarding her when she potties outside, there's no way for her to know that it's the right place. If you are rewarding her when she goes outside, make an even bigger deal out of it! Get super excited, give amazing treats that she goes crazy for, and use them only for potty training.

As for the biting, sometimes putting the puppy in "time out" is a smart move. However, your time out area should be "puppy proof," and that includes no soft flooring. Honestly, a crate is the best thing to use for a time-out, but not everyone goes that route. In addition, when the puppy starts to bite you, redirect her to a chew toy instead.

As for peeing inside -- puppy pads are just confusing. They encourage puppy to pee on something soft, and it's really hard to learn the difference between pads and the carpet. I would ignore the pads and just work on getting her outside. And yes, puppies have to go out often! After every meal, after playing, after naps, after a drink, etc. :)

And no, she's not peeing on purpose to upset you. She's just peeing because it seems to be the right time and place (and maybe that area is starting to smell familiar to her--clean up accidents well with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle!).

I think you would do well to read through this information:

Ch 2: Raising A Puppy | Dog Star Daily and especially these parts: Errorless Housetraining | Dog Star Daily Errorless Chewtoy-Training | Dog Star Daily

Good luck!

Reactions: annageckos and Chas

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sha's advice is good! Don't despair! Your puppy will eventually get the idea that outside is the best place to go, when my puppy was 7 weeks I had to slap the ground and make a huge deal of her going in the right place otherwise she just didn't notice. In our case it's taken 3 months, Echo had some medical issues and to avoid contaminating the soil we used puppy pads and they really slowed the process down. She also had a UTI that caused her to go every couple of minutes for a while so it might be worth seeing your vet if she's going all the time. I suspect if she pees as soon as you put her in another room the sudden lack of distractions made her realize she needed to go.

On the mouthing (biting) our puppy also only started this after about a week of coming to live with us. It's normal, redirecting works, in our case we also had to create an area in our house for the puppy that we could leave because we couldn't handle how hard she mouthed and nothing would distract her. The other thing that helped a huge amount was positive puppy classes, partially because it taught us how to train her to be calm and partially because we got to see other puppies doing similar things.

Keep in mind with puppies it isn't personal, they are babies with no concept of getting back at you, as much as it can really feel like it! They have no impulse control and are prone to tantrums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your respond. We always try to give her some toy to bite but she still most of the time prefers us :D

We recently started to give her treats also outside after she wees and now will give her even more so hope she will learn in time and will stop at home.

I will definitely read through the article as well.

Also, if I can have one more question, do you think we can give her a wash already? Like bath or when it would be suitable to give her bath?

Thank you once again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.