Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

This is my first post, so go easy one me!

I'm going to be the proud owner of a Tibetan Terrier from 2nd January and he will be 10 weeks old when I pick him up. I have a few questions which I hope you will be able to help me with, so here goes:

• At what age are puppies allowed to learn to walk up and down stairs? The reason I ask is that I have read conflicting things in books and on the web regarding their hips and issues caused later on when they tackle stairs when they are not fully developed. His crate will be upstairs for the first couple of weeks in my bedroom.
  • Should I wake intermittently during the night to allow him to have a toilet break? Again, I've heard different things about this. I read that I should wake every couple of hours. However, when I mentioned this to the breeder, she advised I shouldn't need to. The breeder is a very reputable one and has bred TT's for over 15years, showed them etc.
  • When should I bathe my dog? Is this mainly a matter of when it is required or should I get him into a routine when he is a puppy or might this traumatise him if he doesn't take to it?
I think that's it, but I'm sure to have more questions. Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im quite interested in the answers to your questions as well,
as im getting a pup at 8 weeks in early march , totally stoked :)

What I do know though is that you probably wont need to wake up consistently through the night . As long as you take him for a toilet break before you hit the sack , and directly when you wake up .

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I have never heard of not allowing the puppies to attempt the stairs until a certain age.

You shouldn't have to wake up during the night to walk him... when my dog was a puppy, the only time she woke us up was when she had diarrhea...

I'd only bathe when necessary. By all means, get him used to the bath, but don't overdo it and give him dry skin (or a chill!).

A few more pointers in case this is your first puppy ever (ignore the rest if it is not lol)... make sure you play with his ears, feet and mouth a lot to get him used to it... especially since he has floppy ears (in case you'll need to clean them out), he'll need his nails cut (periodically throughout his life) and he's a puppy so he'll want to put everything in his mouth and you need to be able to open it with no problems and get whatever he's got out! Puppy proof! Anything and everything will wind up in his mouth.

Good Luck, post more questions as you think of them!

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
First I have only heard that you should wait till a puppy is 8 weeks old before trying the stairs and I think the sooner the better so they can get used to them while they are little. Just be sure to make it a positive experience and don't push him to hard.
Second, with all my puppies I would just wait till they whined to let me know they needed to go out and that always worked but for some dogs it takes them a bit longer to grasp that concept so I think you should try getting up at least once a night to take him out but if you see that he is sleeping through the night go with it.
And I started giving my puppy 1 week after I got her and I am very glad I did cause she is gonna be huge but since I started early and I give her a bath once a month she is fine with them but again it comes down to making it a positive experience. :)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
The impact of stairs isn't as big of a deal with a small dog. Generally they are refering to larger breeds, who grow slower, and tend to have more issues with joints. As long as you go easy on it, you'll be fine.

As far as potty breaks go. Personally, I would get up a few times during the night, at least at first. You'll learn the pups sched as you go along. :)

Congrats btw.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys

Thanks so much for your replies. They have all been really useful and I'll certainly take your points on board. I can't wait to collect the pup. I could have got him earlier, but didn't think it would be fair to introduce him to a new home at Christmas time, with a steady inflow of people and fireworks to contend with on New Years Eve!

I've got the answers to most of my questions through months upon months of research, but am sure I'll have more. Especially when he arrives!

Thanks again. You've all been really helpful.

Joe

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Your Welcome and Congrats, It's always fun getting a new pup. :) Oh and we'll be needing pics (hint hint)

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
He's so cute!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The way things worked at night for our dogs as puppies is they slept in their crate right next to our bed. That way they felt safe and secure and did not feel like their crate separated them from their humans. Usually they were tired at bedtime, after lots of good play so they would go right to sleep after perhaps just a couple minutes of fussing. Then if they needed to potty later and night, they would wake up an whine a little. We would take them out, potty and then plop them right back in the crate upon which they would go to sleep for the rest of the night. Early on they needed 2 potty breaks a night, but pretty soon it was down to just one, and then in a few weeks they were sleeping through the night.

Congratulations on your new pup to come! He is VERY cute!

PS. about stairs, with a dog your size, I would just let him try them when he feels he is ready. Spot him at first, so he does not tumble down a full flight! As Esme says, make sure it is a positive experience and don't push him to do more than he's comfortable with as a baby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again guys! He is quite adorable! He's growing fast though. The breeder sends me pictures each week until I go to pick him up which I think is a nice personal touch. She also calls him by his name which is Chewie (after Chewbacca, as he looked like a little wookie when he was a week old and the name stuck, much to the disappointment of family!) - I only hope he doesn't live up to his name too much though!

I think the general consensus regarding toilet breaks is that if he whines it's time....I only hope I wake up! I'm a pretty heavy sleeper!

Thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
We just got our puppy five days ago, but one of the first things I did was to take him into the bathroom with me whenever I put on my makeup or did my hair, and place him in the tub with a toy.

(Obviously my puppy is very small and can't jump out -- yet!)

I think one of the things that makes dogs scared of baths is that they are not only confronted with water sprayers and overwhelmingly smelly shampoos, but also that they find the tub scary.

I think that if they are already used to being in the tub, that's one less thing for them to dislike.

I think this was very helpful, because three days later I needed to give him a bath, and he didn't fuss at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok, so im new here and im looking for feedback. a friend of mine bought a dog from a woman in the midwest. she lives in NY. she found a breeder selling dogs on the internet, she quoted a price and that included "air fare" lol. so my question is this... who here has bought a dog off a classified ad? for example, here is a link <----do you think this is safe? can you trust that these are legitimate breeders? I'm just curious to see what your opinions might be. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok, so im new here and im looking for feedback. a friend of mine bought a dog from a woman in the midwest. she lives in NY. she found a breeder selling dogs on the internet, she quoted a price and that included "air fare" lol. so my question is this... who here has bought a dog off a classified ad? for example, here is a link <----do you think this is safe? can you trust that these are legitimate breeders? I'm just curious to see what your opinions might be. Thanks for your input!
Legitimate breeders usually have people waiting for their puppies, but in this economy I guess even they have puppies needing homes. Still, Craig's List?

To check out breeders, check the associations to which they belong, see the pedigrees and histories of their breeding stock and the successes of their puppies, ask local vets and members of local kennel clubs and local breed associations what they know about the breeders, and ask for and call references. Nowadays most breeders have websites, even if they are very simple affairs. The more people you talk to from the area, the better idea you get about the personalities involved. This kind of research will give you answers even if you don't live in the area.

It's harder to check out a breeder from afar because you can't see their facilities for yourself.

That said, my brother-in-law has purchased two dogs from Europe! He first saw them on the Internet. Of course, for the price he paid for those dogs, the breeder flew to the US with the dogs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts