Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a husky puppy last weekend and his been doing fine going poop and pee outside after he eats it’s just when I leave to go to work and when I come home for lunch this week there’s poo in there. Am I feeding him to much at one time or is this just that he can’t hold
his bladder for that long.i feed him at 5 in the morning and take him out after and he does his business and when I get home at 4. I feed him 2 times 3/4 cups a day. Please help...

·
Registered
125 Posts
If your dog is still a puppy, he may not be completely potty trained. He may also be too young to be able to hold it for too long of a time. Puppies will need to relieve themselves much more often than adult dogs, and can even need to have a bathroom break as soon as every hour. On average, a two month old puppy can hold it for about two hours at the most.

·
Super Moderator
3,744 Posts
Am I reading your post correctly that you are crating him for up to ten hours non-stop each day? That's an extraordinarily long time to crate him. You're going to have to rethink this arrangement entirely.

ETA: I see that you're coming home for lunch, but that's still a very long time to crate him each day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If your dog is still a puppy, he may not be completely potty trained. He may also be too young to be able to hold it for too long of a time. Puppies will need to relieve themselves much more often than adult dogs, and can even need to have a bathroom break as soon as every hour. On average, a two month old puppy can hold it for about two hours at the most.
Yep I agree with you ryan. Great thoughts! My pup is also like that. It's quite a hassle cleaning up but he is my greatest treasure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yep I agree with you ryan. Great thoughts! My pup is also like that. It's quite a hassle cleaning up but he is my greatest treasure.
Of course dogs should be treasured always even if they gave you headaches, remember the happiness that they gave to you is greater than that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with you Ryan! He isn't completely trained. It takes time for him to do the right things and all we need to do is be patient.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with you Ryan! He isn't completely trained. It takes time for him to do the right things and all we need to do is be patient.
Nice thoughts nat! Yes, patience is a must when you encounter such problems. Just wait for them to fully grow up if they cannot handle the training as of the moment. There is a right time for anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
He is in the crate way too long durning the day! Of course he is going to poo he probably can't hold it. Maybe consider getting a dog walker coming during the day just to let him do his business and get some exercise at the same time. If you don't want to spend any money ask a family member or even a neighbour that would be willing to help. If this is not possible consider getting him a play pen and putting some pee pads in the play pen. The play pen is much bigger so he will be able to move around a bit more and the pee pads is something you could try if he can't hold in his poo all day long.

·
Registered
420 Posts
A puppy can hold it for about 1 hour per month of age so, you need to make arrangements to accommodate his ability. Of course there are exceptions and, good management by you can extend that a good bit.

Take my 12 week old Kaila, 3 hours should be her limit but, I can get six at night by removing her food and water an hour before I crate her for the night. She does have a rabbit bottle for water in her crate since she is a Malamute wolfdog and, I live in the south and, only have window units for air conditioning. She drinks only a few ounces out of her bottle at night. I also have her in an extra large adult sized crate so there is room for her bed and a puppy pad, just in case she can't hold it long enough, or, she drinks extra water that night.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts