Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend and I have been discussing getting a puppy for about a year and recently decided now would be the ideal time because of our work schedule (I work days and am entering the slow season, he works evenings and is entering the busy season). We ended up bringing home our eight week old Chiweenie relatively fast because of his availability. My boyfriend has grown up with dogs and although we waited until we were ready, he seems to be taking it much easier than I am. We have had him for four days and each morning I've been waking up to severe anxiety that causes me to vomit and/or start crying. I haven't been able to eat much since he has been home because I feel so anxious. My boyfriend has just kind of rolled with it during the night but I am totally sleep deprived.

I think most of my anxiety stems from his intense dependency and inability to sleep at all in his own. Our puppy is very sweet but is very young and seems impossible to crate train because he can't hold his bladder throughout the night. I've been reading about getting him used to his crate during the day. I only give him treats for properly going to the bathroom and have been putting them in his crate as a hide-and-seek game to get him comfortable with his happy place. He seems to do okay during the day but if I try to put him in there during bed time and close the door he freaks out. I really don't want him sleeping with us, but we have had to result to letting him fall asleep on the bed and then moving him to the bed and blanket in his crate. He will sleep in there for roughly 1-3 hours but when he wakes up he cries, piercingly barks, and jumps on the door as if he's terrified. We have tried to let him tire himself but because of his young age he just ends up peeing on his blanket. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do things. We have a friend living with us for the next month before he moves overseas and I feel bad letting the dog cry and bark during the night.

The puppy has had someone at the house with him since we brought him home. I am nervous for the day when we have to leave him alone. It's clear he isn't ready to be in his crate. I left him for about 15 minutes to run to the corner store one day and he was still barking and crying when I returned. We have a puppy play pen arriving tomorrow that I was going to try to put the open crate, puppy pad, and food in while we are away so that he can have everything he needs without access to the whole house. I don't know if this is the wrong thing to do or will make crate training harder down the road. I just don't know what to do at this point and it has been making me physically ill.

Has anyone been through this or has experience particularly with young Chiweenies? This is my first dog and I would really appreciate the help. I've been so upset since we brought him home that I have trouble focusing at work during the day. I didn't know there would be so many challenges with an eight week old versus a slightly older pup and I am totally overwhelmed. I don't want to resent him or regret my decision cause when I am home during the day he is adorable and fun, the night routine is just taking a role on me and now I can't stop thinking about what it's like to leave him totally alone. I would really appreciate the advice and support.

·
Registered
347 Posts
First of all, Welcome!

Second, relax and take a deep breath, read this http://www.dogforum.com/puppy-help/puppy-blues-125986/ There are many many people that have gone through what you are now.

At 8 weeks old the poor little guy is probably just scared. He just got taken away from his entire family and everything he's known. Just takes some time for puppies to realize that you're their new family, that they're safe and you aren't going to abandon them. He'll get there.

Check out these stickies then come back here with any questions you have :)
housetraining -- http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/
crate training -- http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/crate-training-faq-3974/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! We have been crate training the last few nights and he seems to be taking to it, although he spends some time fighting it. We still haven't left him totally alone yet. But I'm hoping that we is comfortable enough in our home by this point that we can safely leave him in his crate or puppy pen for a couple hours. Thank goodness my boyfriend has had the last few days off to be home with him while I'm at work!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Welcome to DF! You are not alone in your anxiety!

Puppies can be a huge drain and stressful! I think I have cried a handful of times since bringing Aayla home.

Sounds like your puppy has a small bladder. We got lucky with Aayla, she was pretty good with being able to hold it. Yet that still required getting up once at 2-3 am and then up again at 5-6am to let her out to go potty. That lasted a little while before she started sleeping through the night. Every puppy is different through, some need to be let out every two hours. When they are so young you can not expect them to be able to hold it for long.

The first week Aayla cried a lot when we would go to bed. I did crate training like I learned here on DF, creating a positive experience. She got meals and very yummy treats and chews in there. At night I would give her a good chew and put her in her crate. I would sit next to the crate until she settled down and then would move into my bed. Then we just ignored her. She would cry for 10-30 minutes and then settle down to fall asleep. Then if she woke up and cried around 1-2am I would get up, without talking to her, turning on lights or playing at all and take her outside. I let her pee, praised, and then back into the crate she went. They key is to not do any playing or anything exciting in this time. Sometimes she cried for a few minutes when she got put back in, but that phased out over time.

Aayla also was put into her playpen and her crate for nap times throughout the day as well. In the beginning I would read a book within viewing distance of the crate/playpen. Then I would do chores while she was napping (going in and out of the room). Then I built it up to leaving the house. Every time she goes into her playpen or crate she gets something wonderful (stuffed kong, chew, treats, food) She soon learned that crate or playpen means nap time. She still cries every now and then, but its rare.

What also might help is when you have food/water available. Aayla always gets fed before 8pm and her water gets pulled up around 9pm. Then we all go to bed around 10:30pm. She always gets to go potty right before being put in the crate as well. I will spend about 5 minutes outside letting her wander so she can pee and poop, multiple times (which she does sometimes).

Here are some videos that I followed and helped me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts