Dog Forum banner

New puppy, name ideas, and tips?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  laceyfaye 
#1 ·
We bought a new puppy Wednesday evening. She's not with us yet as she just turned 5 weeks yesterday, but we're hopeful for next Thursday as long as the vet approves of her leaving her mama. We're all very excited to bring her home and get to spend some time with her for the holidays. We lost a puppy back in October, and we hope this new baby will help us heal!

We have a few names picked out but anymore suggestions would be awesome, since we haven't really found one that sticks with us. We have Nymphadora (I'm a Harry Potter book nerd :p), Danica//Dani, Zelda, and Echo, just to name a few.

Also any tips on how to get her to be playful would be great. Our dog that we had to put down was extremely playful, she was a puppy even at 11 years old. She just wouldn't play with toys, she wanted everything to do with you. Our other dog, who is 16, is kind of the same way, she used to play, but then slowly weeded out of it. We've already bought her a tug toy, so hopefully she plays with that. What's one way to get her used to the idea of playing with toys and you?

All the help would be appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
@MHDDOG2016

Quite a few of my friends have actually suggested Willow! I love that name too! I guess we just have to bring her home and get a feel for her personality :p

#4 ·
She looks lovely. What breed is she? Yorkshire terrier? Yorkie mix?

Re playing - most puppies are playful and will chase a rag or a toy and will play tug. But some lose the inclination as they grow older. Mine are like that, most of the time, sometimes thay want to play but mostly not. They'd rather be out on walks pottering about and sniffing.

But they do like to be trained. I have their undivided attention when they think we are about to have a training session. so, I am trying to train them to play more...LOL. Still, we have lost of fun training.

#6 ·
My advice? Wait until the pup is at least 8 weeks old rather then 6 weeks. You just said she turned 5 weeks last week and that it sounds like u are getting the pup at 6 weeks old. The puppy still needs to learn from mum and sibs how to be a good pup.

And I can't see the picture. My phone won't let me see it for what ever reason. I don't have much advice about puppy hood as it has been a long time since I raised a puppy.
Posted via Mobile Device

#7 · (Edited)
Cute puppy.

Though I hope you are aware that all dogs are different. And you won't be disappointed - even consider getting rid of this one - if it turns out not to be as playful as your prior dog.

As mentioned though, mostly all puppies are playful. As an adult, who is to say. She looks like a terrier type, some terriers I've found amongst friends' dogs can be playful and other terriers really won't engage you unless they want to.

Also unless there is a problem - e.g. the mother abandoned the litter, the mother is a shelter dog and is adopted, etc., etc., etc. - leave the pup with the mother as long as possible. As mentioned mama and siblings teach the puppy & each other those initial "good manners". I don't get the growing trend of removing puppies far too early - I've heard it oftentimes results in more problems than anything.

#8 ·
I see you had echo as one of the names so why not turn echo into a different language. Like in Russian or German? Something unique.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
I see you had echo as one of the names so why not turn echo into a different language. Like in Russian or German? Something unique.
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't do that with German. The German word for echo is just "Echo". we just spell it different and...no offense, but a big part of the English native-speakers suck at pronouncing "ch"-sounds and a lot of them also seem to have difficulties speaking o-sounds as single vowels ([o] instead of [oʊ]). if you don't want everyone around you butcher the name, I'd stick with a pronunciation that's not too foreign sounding for your language. ;)

#12 · (Edited)
We came to that conclusion too. I just liked Nymphadora from the HP series. I even thought about Tonks (Nymphadora's nickname in HP), but that only made us think of Tonka Trucks! Lol.

#11 · (Edited)
Sorry for such late responses, we have been busy with our little girl. We have decided on Zelda for her name! :p

I've done a little research on my states law, but couldn't come up with anything. She did see the Vet on the day that we got her and he said they were fine to leave their mother. The person we bought her from said that the pups actually weren't spending time with either of the parents anymore and they were already on dry food for a week. We asked our Vet and he said that she would be fine. We have had her home for a week now and aside from slight separation anxiety from my mother, she's doing fantastic.

Also - I would never consider getting rid of a pup! I don't understand how people can bring one into the home and then decide they no longer want it because of a certain trait. If she's not playful when she gets older (she certainly is now!), then that's fine. I'm hoping though that since her and I have several play sessions a day that it'll stay that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.