Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is 16 week old wheaten terrier. We have only had him for 5 days. So i know he is still getting used to our house. He loves my wife, and 3 year old. Walks with wife on a leash, plays with her, etc. Everything a puppy should do. If i walk into a room, he will keep his distance of about 10 feet. But if i pick him up, he will sit on my lap for hours. He will never come to me, or even attempt to play with me. He will just lie down if i put him on a leash. I need to get him on a leash to take him outside to go potty. Thats the biggest issue. even if i take him outside he will just lie down and not pee or anything. He has no problems with the wife. What should i do? he is a great dog, beside not liking me. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
He is 16 week old wheaten terrier. We have only had him for 5 days. So i know he is still getting used to our house. He loves my wife, and 3 year old. Walks with wife on a leash, plays with her, etc. Everything a puppy should do. If i walk into a room, he will keep his distance of about 10 feet. But if i pick him up, he will sit on my lap for hours. He will never come to me, or even attempt to play with me. He will just lie down if i put him on a leash. I need to get him on a leash to take him outside to go potty. Thats the biggest issue. even if i take him outside he will just lie down and not pee or anything. He has no problems with the wife. What should i do? he is a great dog, beside not liking me. :)
We have a wheaten terrier as well. Ours is about 9 months. They're such fun dogs!

Do you know much about his past? Meaning before you got him? Is it possible he was abused by a male? I believe that could be why he's avoiding you. It sounds to me like it isn't that he doesn't like you, but rather doesn't trust you.

If he has a favorite treat or toy you could to just sitting with him, petting, and talking to him. Give him treats or just love on him. After a period of time, he may warm up.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
It could be an aversion to men... Any male friends you can bring in to see how the dog reacts?

Enlist your wife and child to help if the dog is ok with them. Both you and your wife can exercise putting the leash on and bringing the dog outside. Have your wife or child sit on the couch with dog in lap - then sit next to them but ignore the dog. See what the dog does. It's probably a matter of the dog finding out that "hey, maybe this guy isn't so bad after all".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got him from a breeder
I was thinking i might be the first male he has been around. If i pick him up he will sit on my lap for hours and fall asleep and appears to not be scared. I give him lots of treats and have never yelled at him or anything. He will be around my dad and brother in law this weekend so i will see how he is around them. If im in the room with my wife, he will stop playing with here and just kind of lie down. Its very frustrating. I hope he comes around.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For some reason, men can just be more intimidating to dogs at first. Especially young puppies - even if they haven't been abused by a man. Men's body language and way of moving, deeper voice, walking gait can just be more intimidating. Perhaps the puppy has just been around more women than men?

Here's what you can do!

Carry around some really tasty treats in your pocket, then every time you see the dog in the house, give him a one or two. Pet the dog a bit and make it a happy experience. Pretty soon, the dog will be coming to you. Be patient though, it could take anywhere from a couple days to a few weeks. Every dog is different.

When your family comes to visit, make sure each person can do the same thing when they first meet the dog. Be careful to go at the dogs pace, because you don't want to scare him. But everyone should give the dog some treats. You can do this with everyone you meet. The more people the better! :)

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've noticed a lot of more sensitive or anxious dogs are more wary around men than women, it doesn't necessarily have to do with abuse.

Men are bigger, have deeper, louder voices, move more assertively and seem less aware of how these things affect dogs. I've seen a lot of new guys at work struggle with the dogs- they don't realize they're towering over them or scaring them when they talk loudly.

Take it slow, he'll come around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. I have been walking around giving him lots of treats. Petting him when he does come around. The funny thing is this was supposed to be "my" dog. And im the one he dosent want to hang out with. Lol.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Little update, he will go outside to go potty now with me. Also will take treats from my hand. He is still shy but getting better. I can tell he wants to play, hes just still a little unsure.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and he is beginning to respond. Keep treating him with gentle kindness and he will continue to respond. Just give him a little time, and he will become the dog you dreamed of. Dogs have feelings and emotions, and going into a new home is traumatic, they need time to adjust.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we went camping over the weekend. Lots of kids and other adult males. He is shy to all males, not just me. But after 3 days of being the center of attention he is a different dog. I can walk him by myself. He wags his tail and comes up to me with out calling his name. He still dosent "play" with me like he does with kids, but its a huge improvement. Thanks for all the responses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts