Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone ! I'm new to the forums and I was hoping someone can ease my worries . I just got a puppy he's only about 9 weeks old he's a shiba Inu and he's adorable and super cute . I am completely in love with him but I have noticed he does has quite an attitude but nothing that some training can't correct. What concerns me and honestly makes me sad is that . I'm the one who feeds him/trains and the person who he is with all day and I constantly try to bond and play with him but as soon as my 11 year old brother walks in the door he automatically runs and wags his tail to go play with him . He looks super happy and energetic when he plays with my brother but no matter how hard I try to be playful and loving he doesn't show much interest in playing with me. I know he's just a puppy and I shouldn't have my feelings hurt but I just don't want him to grow onto my brother instead of me . I've never had this problem with any dog or puppy . what can I do to help him be more playful and energetic with me ? I would greatly appreciate any tips and advice that would help me . Thank you in advance .

·
Registered
343 Posts
Most puppies are like this with other people they know (and lots of times strangers). New things are awesome. It's hard not to feel hurt sometimes but your pup is just exploring and it's a good thing that he's happy to see and play with other people and things, it helps foster a happy confident pup. Keep doing what you're doing and your bond with your pup will continue to grow.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
My BC puppy used to break my heart every day. I would play, train, feed, walk her, but she was always very "meh" with me, and would go totally bonkers for everyone else (especially my brother who would at most pet her a couple times).

Now that she's older, she's my shadow. She still loves people, but I'm her number one. Hang in there, and keep building that relationship. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have an 11 week-old cockapoo puppy who I know loves me, however I have a neighbor who he goes absolutely bonkers for. I could not even believe the greeting he gave her the other day- tail wagging so fast and so hard, whining, lickfest all over her face. He doesn't even do that to my husband and kids...

But like others have said, I am happy it shows he is happy, social, and confident. Hang in there! Also, totally ransom, but do you know about the Shiba Inu forum? A Shiba Inu forum community for owners and enthusiasts

Might be a good place to talk specifically about the breed. I know Shibas can be challenging to train (from friends who have had them) and this might be a good forum for you to check out in addition to this one, which has been awesome for general dog advice!

·
Registered
712 Posts
My Shiba was like that too, he's 12 now and we have a great relationship. He still loves new people but give it some time to build your bond. Do remember though that Shibas are naturally very independent dogs. Some like to cuddle, others just hate it (like mine :( ) Just keep at it with your training, be very consistent and persistent. They are very smart quick learners. Remember to do early socialization with different kinds of people (seniors, adults, kids etc) and puppies/dogs as well as different environments like busy streets, parks etc. I have met way too many Shibas that were not socialized at an early age and are very aggressive, aloof or skittish.

My pittie was exactly like that as well and it hurt every time she would get so excited and play with everyone else but me! I think I even made a thread about it here somewhere lol But now, even though she still gets excited to see other people, she's become very attached to me and we've developed a very good bond (she's currently 5 months).

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My BC is like this, I'm so jealous of the mailman! There are signs that it is reducing though so it's nice that she likes people.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the advice and thank you guys for it . I'm gonna continue to try to build my bond with him and try not to take it too personally lol . I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be like this forever because I was really looking forward to my new pup being my best friend and it just worried me that we weren't going to have any connection besides when it's time to eat . I will definitely look at the shiba Inu forum and seek more information . I was thinking maybe It's the breed of dog too but I was hoping that with conditioning and lots of love that it wouldn't matter as much, atleast that's my hope . Thanks again to everyone that replied and helped ease my worries.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I appreciate all the advice and thank you guys for it . I'm gonna continue to try to build my bond with him and try not to take it too personally lol . I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be like this forever because I was really looking forward to my new pup being my best friend and it just worried me that we weren't going to have any connection besides when it's time to eat . I will definitely look at the shiba Inu forum and seek more information . I was thinking maybe It's the breed of dog too but I was hoping that with conditioning and lots of love that it wouldn't matter as much, atleast that's my hope . Thanks again to everyone that replied and helped ease my worries.
You are now required to post some pics of your adorable puppy! :p I can't get enough of Shiba puppy pics. They are so freakin' adorable! I wish I had more pics of mine when he was a puppy!

·
Registered
712 Posts
That dog is suuuper cute!

Are you sure he's a Shiba Inu though?
I was going to wait until someone posted this because that is my first thoughts as well. Granted my pup was 4 months when I got him so he will look a little different than yours, but your pup doesn't have the typical characteristics/markings of a Shiba. Some at that age will still have floppy ears though.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just for comparison sake, there's an Instagram account I follow called 3packoshibas with pics of their puppies.

5 weeks, 6 weeks, and 8 weeks

To the OP, please don't take offense that I'm questioning if your pup is a Shiba, he is adorable!! but he doesn't quite look like a purebred.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I'm pretty sure he's not purebred but I'm not sure exactly what he's mixed with but I was told he's shiba Inu and his tail and attitude definitely made me believe that . I would love to know what he's mixed with though . I would love to know what you guys think he might be mixed with . He's only 9 weeks old too .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I take no offense :) I appreciate everyone's input. I love him no matter what . I'm just trying to bond and make him love me as much as I can that's what's most important to me .

·
Registered
25 Posts
He is adorable! Good luck with the bonding. He looks quite long with short legs, dachshund mix? I may be wrong because of the angle of the photographs. Got any more pictures?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.