Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband and I just rescued a 6 month terrier/Schnauzer/Catahoula Leopard mix - she is a spayed female, almost 3 weeks ago. Overall, her disposition is super sweet and loving - with other dogs and humans. We also have a 3.5 fixed male Jack Russell. We did all the "right" things with introducing the two. However, the issue is their "play" behavior. She is larger than he is, and will pin him up against furniture, continually pounce him, or go for the back of his neck when he isnt looking. They have a lot of growling and mouth biting, but from what I am reading, this is normal "play" behavior. How do we tell the difference? When do we intervene? Anything we can do to help their interaction? Thank you!

*Should say Household, but wont let me edit title!

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
t I am reading, this is normal "play" behavior. How do we tell the difference? When do we intervene? Anything we can do to help their interaction? Thank you!

The difference is snarling and snapping. Their bodies and tails go very stiff.
My dogs sound like they are killing each other when they play. If you watch and someone gets hurt you will see a change. A lot of time the hurt one just gives a bark off but sometimes it goes to a snarl to get the other to stop. Its better to let them figure it out. You will notice if things get to heated. Remember dogs skin is very tuff so when you see them grab each other its not like when they grab us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts