Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I very recently go my new 8-week-old Poochon pup. (I've had him four days now).

He's slowly starting to toddle away from me to play (which is great!) but my main issue is that I have to leave him alone for four hours a day in a puppy play pen. He has tonnes of room and crate with soft bedding and one of my shirts. He also has a kong toy with peanut butter on top.

I've set up a puppy cam so I know he's whimpering and crying before taking a break to sleep before starting again.

I've also tried to do the positive reinforcement thing with slowly introducing him to the pen with treats and only leaving him in there a few mins but he never stops crying.

Every forum says he'll get used to it and I just need to wait it out, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance really, has anyone else had this problem? And if so did it last long?

Thanks much,

Zara

·
Registered
442 Posts
He's fine. It's good you are using a pen so he has enough room too walk around and pee if needed. Just let him be, he's ok. He'll get used to it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My puppy would scream bloody murder any time she couldn't see me. I couldn't even go to the washroom without her crying! But that was only the first week or so. Eventually she got used to it and so will your little guy. As others have mentioned you have a good set up, just keep up what you're doing. :)

Another thing to remember is when you come home, or any time you are away and come back...do not make a big deal when you leave or return. This can create really bad separation anxiety. I always fill my pup's Kong wobbler with some treats right before I leave so now when I pull it out, she gets all excited and doesn't even care when I leave the house. When I come home, I make sure I ignore her, no eye contact, no greetings. I take my time to take my shoes off, put away my jacket etc (she jumps on me sometimes while I'm doing this). As soon as she realizes that I'm not going to give her any attention, she immediately sits quietly and then I greet her (calmly) and pet her. Granted she's much older than your little pup (10 months now), but it's a good habit to get into as your pup gets more comfortable with being alone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys! Really appreciate all of the advice :) He seems to have no interest in the Kong but I'm hoping as he gets older he'll be more taken with it.

Can I ask where you all had them sleeping? Tonight he's getting his hot water bottle and a ticking clock in his crate, which is in his playpen. I'm hoping he'll settle and won't cry to often through the night- it's so hard to leave him!

·
Registered
434 Posts
My daughter's Yorkie would stand by the front door barking for her after she left. We have glass at the top of the door, so I started holding him and standing at the door with him and we say "Let's say bye bye to momma." and she'd give him a kiss and say good bye and then she'd walk out and get her in car. I'd bring him back with me in the room and he'd be perfectly fine. I think he just wanted to know that she wasn't on the other side of the door. Now that we have the younger puppy, he is fine with her leaving.

I think its all a matter of finding what will work for your dog. I agree with Yoshiposhi that not making a big deal out of coming or going might help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts