Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. We just got an 8 week old pitbull puppy a couple of days ago.

I bought her first vaccine on the way home and administered it before bed time.

We hadn't bought any puppy chow yet because we weren't sure if we would be purchasing a dog or not. So, for supper she had some of our bigger dogs' food (Purina) soaked with some warm water.

In the morning, she was acting a bit less like herself (Normal for a puppy who just had a vaccine, right?)

However. Yesterday, I bought her purina puppy chow. Last night, her eyes swelled up, along with her muzzle, and she had bumps like hives all over her head and neck. Her breathing was very hard and fast too.

I took away all food items and left her with only water which she didn't hesitate to drink at all. She has not stopped drinking water or peeing and pooping as usual.

This morning, the swelling was almost completely gone and she wasn't frantically running around itching anymore. But, I could tell she was really hungry and I was afraid to give her the purina again. So, I gave her a can of wet food (Pedigree).

Within 30 minutes the swelling was back, along with the bumps, and she started to jump around and itch again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
However. Yesterday, I bought her purina puppy chow. Last night, her eyes swelled up, along with her muzzle, and she had bumps like hives all over her head and neck. Her breathing was very hard and fast too.

I took away all food items and left her with only water which she didn't hesitate to drink at all. She has not stopped drinking water or peeing and pooping as usual.

This morning, the swelling was almost completely gone and she wasn't frantically running around itching anymore. But, I could tell she was really hungry and I was afraid to give her the purina again. So, I gave her a can of wet food (Pedigree).

Within 30 minutes the swelling was back, along with the bumps, and she started to jump around and itch again.

Any ideas?
That happened to our dog when she got into a bag of cat food that had coloring in it. Purina is one of the companies I would not buy. Pedigree also not a good food. Stay away form purina, science diet, Iams ,pedigree and anything you could buy at your local supermarket. If you want a food priced on the lower side but without dyes byproducts or harmful preservatives try costcos kirkland or natures domain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were thinking maybe it was a bite or a reaction to her vaccination.

But it doesn't make any sense that it would go away and come back after feeding her.

I just boiled a chicken breast. I gave her a piece of that now that the swelling has gone down. In about 30 minutes if she isn't reacting to it, I'll give her some more.

You should see her, she thinks she's starving to death. lol.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Where did you buy the vaccine? What brand was it? What kind..5way..7way?
It sounds like a vaccine reaction..never had a puppy have a reaction like that to food.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
We were thinking maybe it was a bite or a reaction to her vaccination.

But it doesn't make any sense that it would go away and come back after feeding her.

I just boiled a chicken breast. I gave her a piece of that now that the swelling has gone down. In about 30 minutes if she isn't reacting to it, I'll give her some more.

You should see her, she thinks she's starving to death. lol.
My dog looked like the elephant man really freaked me out. I gave benidril and the swelling went down a coupe of hours later. Defiantly sounds like it is something in the food. These are simply the worst ingredients I have seen.
These are the offending dyes (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2) This is not a nutritious puppy food Purina should be ashamed to market this as a healthy diet.

Purina Puppy food
Whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, chicken by-product meal, brewers rice, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soybean meal, egg and chicken flavor, barley, animal digest, calcium phosphate, fish oil, calcium carbonate, dried yeast, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, added color (Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 2),

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't think it's the food itself but maybe the chemicals in the food or preservatives. Terriers tend to have more allergies & skin problems than your average dog. Give a benadryl (a children's is 12.5 mg and you give 1 mg per lb of weight) and try the just plain home cooked food or a day or two and see if it gets better. If it does try a better food next time. You might want to add a 1/4 tsp of an oil to her food since the benadryl is drying (which only compounds the skin issues).

·
Registered
829 Posts
it is enzymatic (or chemical) hydrolysis....basically predigested meat, bone, etc. anything except hair teeth and horns i think. eewwww.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
ewwww...you are not helping my heebie jeebs LOL

I kept thinking about the vein on shrimp. That also turns my stomach...the poop track of an ocean roach. I don't get how people love those things.

·
Registered
829 Posts
what's worse it that is says animal digest, meaning unspecified meat sources. road kill anyone? with a side of possible diseased, dead, dying or disabled animal parts as a garnish? this is the garbage the rescue recommended ...indeed insisted on...and then proceeded to threaten and harrass me about training classes. bassackwards

i am reminded of a song. anyone know it?.......

great big globs of greasy, grimey gopher guts
mutilated monkey meat
gobs of dirty birdy feet
all purpose porpoise puss
floating on contaminated milk....and you forgot your spooooooon. :D

btw...i like shrimp:p:D

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
LOL..
I remember...boys are made of greasy grimy gofer guts
mutilated monkey meat
little dirty birdy feet
french fried eye balls rolling down a dirty street.
and I forgot my spoon but I got a straw..

btw..I also like shrimp

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
BTW Dawnben, what is animal digest? I saw that looking at dental chews and I got the heebie jeebs.

Another expert has described Animal Digest as “a cooked-down broth which can be made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals.” The animals can be collected from almost any source. There is no control set in place over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: “4-D animals” (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying before slaughter), goats, pigs,sheep, horses, rats, euthanized at animal shelters, restaurant and supermarket waste, road kill, etc.
That is about as gross as it gets. The supermarket waste can also include the styrofoam containers the meat came from in the market. In other words toxic waste. According to Purina it is used as protein. Not a protein I would choose for my dogs along with byproducts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, she looks almost completely normal again and she had no reaction whatsoever to the food that I cooked for her.

I used to cook for my mother's older heelers. Looks like I'll be doing that again now. lol.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Well, she looks almost completely normal again and she had no reaction whatsoever to the food that I cooked for her.

I used to cook for my mother's older heelers. Looks like I'll be doing that again now. lol.
I cook on and off for my dogs and use Blue basics grain free in between when I get tired of cooking. Blue is a good food and has very few recalls. I have yet to have recalls on the grain free turkey that I use. The Basics are great for sensitive stomachs.
BLUE Basics Grain Free Turkey dog food, a limited ingredient diet

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
There is no way your pup at 8 weeks old is having a food allergy. I'm more inclined to think it's something else like a bite or vaccine reaction. It is very coincidental that it's happening after food, but food allergies need time to build up and at the earliest show up at 5 or so months.

Time to find a new food that would suit her. If you're going to cook, make sure you contact a nutritionist to make sure it's a balanced diet otherwise it'll do more harm than good.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another expert has described Animal Digest as “a cooked-down broth which can be made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals.” The animals can be collected from almost any source. There is no control set in place over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: “4-D animals” (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying before slaughter), goats, pigs,sheep, horses, rats, euthanized at animal shelters, restaurant and supermarket waste, road kill, etc.
That is about as gross as it gets. The supermarket waste can also include the styrofoam containers the meat came from in the market. In other words toxic waste. According to Purina it is used as protein. Not a protein I would choose for my dogs along with byproducts.
Good grief we're on this again???

Have you ever made gravy to go with your turkey dinner? Gravy is digest.... you boil the giblets to get a concentrated flavor ... aka animal digest. And FWIW, in the wild the by-products are the parts of the prey an animal eats first. http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/7/1923S.full.pdf Why? because they are the most concentrated source of nutrients. Just because it strikes your ick button doesn't mean it's bad for you. That's how I feel about turnips.
Organ meats: quality source of protein for pets

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Good grief we're on this again???

Yes and I will keep saying over and over again until everyone hears it and understands that these things will undermine the health of your animals. Oh and FYI there is a huge difference in the stomach content of a rabbit and a bowl of toxic animal digest from a rendering plant.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yes and I will keep saying over and over again until everyone hears it and understands that these things will undermine the health of your animals. Oh and FYI there is a huge difference in the stomach content of a rabbit and a bowl of toxic animal digest from a rendering plant.
Prove it. Offer one scrap of evidence that is not the opinion of a self-proclaimed expert with no training beyond internet forums that digest contains styrofoam. That is absolutely preposterous. Just like in any industry, there are good companies, and there are bad companies, however the ingredient label is not what differentiates these. The problem with people like you saying "over and over again until everyone hears it" is that there are people out there who will believe your alarmist posts and their pets will suffer for it. Have you actually seen a 'bowl of toxic animal digest from a rendering plant'? Or did someone else on the internet say that and you ran with it? This is not the National Enquirer. The people in this forum deserve better than the propaganda you are spreading.

Also, you may choose to not consume byproducts, but you are the minority.
Some examples of byproducts eaten by people around the globe:
Hot dogs
Chicken wings
Foie gras
Tripe
Steak and kidney pie
Liver and onions
Salami
Chicken feet
Ox tail
Sausage
Pig ear
Heat cheese
Gizzard
Caviar
Blood sausage
Cod tongues
Pigs trotter
Balut
Haggis
Sweetbread
Prairie oysters
Chicken neck
offalgood.com

Just like with any other ingredient.... byproducts can be good or bad depending on how they are chosen, processed, stored, and handled, as well as the nutrients they provide and how digestible they are. But I for one would much rather feed my animals a food containing byproducts made by a company I trust that has stringent quality control, research, and testing, instead of feeding a product with a pretty ingredient label and nothing more.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just out of curiosity what do you feed your dogs?

The term animal digest sounds so sketchy. Why not call it broth or renderings?

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
As with everything in this world. Quality of anything is only as good as the company making it. I would rather feed my dog a blended whole rabbit then some genetically altered chicken or some synthetic man made so called good ingredient. We have domesticated dogs and have done so much damage by all these processed foods. I am sure you will not see a dog in the wild with cancer. So to me animal digest/animal by products is the least of our worries.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts