Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Puggle puppy about 10 days ago from a breeder (please hold any judgment about mutts and breeders and not rescuing) . I got him from one of those animal hoarder type situations you see on tv and just fell in love. He is now a little over 9 weeks. He (Griffin) is so sweet, affectionate, cuddly, playful etc. The only problem is when I have to leave him for work.

I live in a big city so when I leave I keep him in the gated off kitchen with tons of toys, a kong, a crate with a blanket over it, a DAP diffuser, water/food and a pee pad. I visit him at lunch so he is only alone for two 4-hour blocks during the day. When I close the kitchen gate he freaks out but I have been good about not saying goodbye and just walking out. I also don’t make a big fuss when I come home and just ignore him until he calms down. That said—when I come home at lunch and at the end of the day, I can hear him crying from the street before even entering my apt building (I live on the 3rd floor). There is a lot of street noise where I live so it is not like he is in a silent apartment all day and can hear me coming. Is this normal puppy behavior? It breaks my heart to hear him upset and see all the paw prints/poopy paw prints on the gate from him trying to escape all day. He also doesn’t touch his breakfast food until I get home and then once I am there he eats the entire thing right away….

I plan to send him to daycare ultimately but I have to wait until he has all of his shots—plus I feel like it’s important that he learn how to be alone. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
it is normal for a baby to cry when it is alone.
yes, it is scared of being separated from its family but no this isn't because it is anormal or sick.
this is normal behaviour.
a 1-year old human child would also cry, when left alone for 4 hours.
dogs are animals that usually live in social groups, so a group of humans and/or other dogs is the normal environment for a young dog.
when it is alone, it cries and the members of his group/family hear it crying and bring it back to the group...this behaviour can safe a young animals life.
a dog sitter could help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts