Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find myself becoming very nervous about our new puppy. We have a 2 yr old Australian Labradoodle who is perfect. We got her at 8 weeks old and it was our first family pet ever. I had 3 teens at the time. Two of my kids are now off to college and our current dog has a routine that matches ours perfectly. The puppy will require middle of the night outings, crate, gates (although I'm going to try and use minimal to none this time.) I'm so excited to get her but the labor involved is just unnerving me right now. We are getting her from the same breeder(who we love) but different parents. I'm sure, the minute I meet her, my fears will melt away but I thought if I get it out there, I would feel better. I'm so happy that my current pup will have a friend forever. I'm a babbling fool right now--bear with me and thanks for reading this thread! We have pictures and she is just a beauty--like our current pup. Hoping for the same lovely temperament.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. Puppies will be puppies for so long but they do grow up. but don't rush things too much otherwise you will have potty accidents in the house. one thing that can help is having her crated at night and take away the water so she doesn't have to go potty as much through-out the night. They are a lot of work in getting a puppy so be ready to do the work.

Also when getting the puppy be sure to get honest answers from the breeders you already bought one dog from them and they should be honest no matter what. Ask to see the parents and make sure they look healthy.

I hope you have fun with your new pup!

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is completely fine to be nervous! I am also rescuing a puppy in 3 weeks and I am freaking out too. I have a 1 year old Yorkie who has been the perfect dog. I brought Teddy home when he was 9 weeks old and he really set the bar high for any other puppy we add to our family! I might not get lucky a second time, so I'm preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Crate training is so helpful! Get her used to the phrase "go potty" I definitely suggest putting her on a strict schedule. In the end everything will be great! Can't wait to see some pictures :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
Honestly, I am glad you are a bit nervous. This tells me you are aware of how much work is involved and are planning on doing it as opposed to those who are getting a puppy and think it will be all rainbows and happy time, not piddle accidents , spilled over garbage cans, late nights standing in the back yard, and chewed up running shoes.

Of course puppies are only puppies for a short time. Get through the hard stuff but remember to enjoy the fun moments. They'll be gone way too soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts