Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Puppy!

I am currently fostering my fourth foster puppy, Remington (Remi for short). I have decided to officially adopt him next week! He is about 3-4 months old. I need help with guessing what he is mixed with! Here are a few of my GUESSES: (with some "reasoning")

Dachshund?: Long body, and snout
Pointer?: Constantly does the common "Pointer Stance"
German Shepard?: The coloring on the back of his neck
Doberman or Pinscher?: Coloring
Beagle?: Tail and legs

> He also has some white on his chest, almost in the shape of a slanted T

**His feet are webbed**
**His bark is very low**

I am VERY unsure! He is extremely athletic, a great runner, and an AMAZING jumper. He can jump over almost anything. Including a large dog gate.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Doxie? Dobie? Coonhound?
Being black and tan you can narrow it down to breeds that are that color.
I don't know a lot about Pointers but I don't think they are ever tan point?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
It's hard to tell with puppies. I'd guess Dachshund x Beagle but he could have other breeds in him or only one of those or neither of those. Dachshunds and hounds in general can be black and tan and the coloring alone isn't enough to make me think doberman, min pin, or GSD. Pointing is also a behavior that a lot of dogs can display when they see something interesting/exciting. How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
He is too cute! I would guess some sort of hound mix, but it can be hard to tell with puppies.

·
Registered
502 Posts
He looks a lot like my beagle Rottweiler mix! A little less beagle like though. I would guess maybe min pin beagle mix or something along those lines. And some dachshund as well.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I'd rule out Dobie/Pinscher. The only link there is color, and black with tan points is a color found in hundreds of breeds.

Structurally, the head looks dachshund. The dog overall is a bit on the long side, but daschund legs are SOO short, that something that is 1/2 dash is unlikely. But a 1/4 daschund, or just a dash of dasch is possible.

(See the bottom for pics of dasch mixes and note how the dasch height factor impacts them)

Have you ever seen a Lancashire terrier? Same color, and it's another 'long dog', but it's pretty rare.

On a whole different note, I think behavioral traits should take just as much if not more attention when determining breed. If it was Lancashire, or Corgie for that matter I'd expect some herding type behaviors to still shine through. You note your dog points. Do you know the difference between a bird dog that indicates with a set vs a point? However, if your dog is keying in on gamebirds and either setting or pointing, then he probably is at least a quarter one of the various pointer type breeds. Gordon setters set of course, and are black with tan points, but long coated. You will find various spaniels in black with tan points but also long coated.

Your dog might be a good one to get a DNA test for.

Note some of these mixes have been identified as having a corgie side vs a dasch side.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with others that a lot of breeds can be black and tan and share behavioral traits. My puppy's brother was marked almost identically to your puppy, and there is no known dobie or rottie in them. Also, both my dogs have no known hound in them and they both 'point' at birds and squirrels.
Dachshunds can be black and tan, and Remi's head has a similar head shape too.
If you do decide to do a dna test, I would love to see the results.
Remi sounds wonderful.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
looks like a hound mix.
there could be Dackel in there, but it could also be some different hund.
there could also be something bigger in there like Schäfi or something like Entlebucher Sennenhund.

Reactions: toriecosta

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thank you so much for this help! I am considering a DNA test. Are they a little pricey?
right now Mars (the candy bar company) has a patent on dog DNA tests, so regardless of the one you buy, it all ends up at the same lab, gets run against the same breed database, and the results are processed by the same complex computer program.

So no need to spend big money on a test. Get one off of Amazon for $80 or so. You follow some instructions to prevent cross-contamination, then swab your dog's cheek then mail it off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would definitely say a dachshund x min pin x a larger breed, maybe a gsd or coonhound. I'd rule out rottweiler though.
The dachshund is a definite to me. The min pin makes up the shorter ears, and the other breed would make up for the size difference.
Also, here is a pic of a dachshund x min pin that I think looks very similar to your puppy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts