Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

We just picked up a new puppy named Scout. He's 9 weeks old, 21 lbs. mother was a purebred lab, father was apparently a border collie.

That said a few people say he looks like he has Newfie in him. The litter was 12 pups, 2 looked like ours with longer hair, the rest had a lab coat with white areas on the body.

Are there any traits that would give away if he has Newf in him? Other option is to get a DNA test.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lab x Border looks definitely possible. The Lab face could be what's making people think Newfoundland with that longer coat.

Don't bother wasting your money on a test. They're all innacurate.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I don't really see Border Collie, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. It's also really hard to tell at this age. My BC will be on the smaller side for sure, but at 9 weeks she was like 8 pounds. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's 9.5 weeks old. We know for sure the mother is a lab. And she is a larger one. The other puppies definately had border collie in them. But could be another father I suppose. For a lab he is at the high end of average weight it seems.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
This is Chase, my buddy's dog. He's a purebred Border Collie mixed with a exactly half Lab/GSD mix. I would say Lab/Border Collie is very possible!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is Chase, my buddy's dog. He's a purebred Border Collie mixed with a exactly half Lab/GSD mix. I would say Lab/Border Collie is very possible!
Cute dog! I guess we will wait and see. Doesn't really matter, we just hadn't planned on a dog potentially as big as a Newfie mix. No way to tell. Are the vet DNA samples not accurate either?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
156 Posts
Cute dog! I guess we will wait and see. Doesn't really matter, we just hadn't planned on a dog potentially as big as a Newfie mix. No way to tell. Are the vet DNA samples not accurate either?
Posted via Mobile Device
All DNA tests you can do aren't 100%, it might give you a vague idea what breeds your dog is made up of.

Asha had the blood based DNA test, vet took the blood and sent it off to the company who does the results. The only breed we were sure she had, which is Rhodesian Ridgeback didn't even show up on her results. So it was $120 to find out our ridged dog apparently doesn't have ridgeback in her.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
21 Posts
That said a few people say he looks like he has Newfie in him. The litter was 12 pups, 2 looked like ours with longer hair, the rest had a lab coat with white areas on the body.

Are there any traits that would give away if he has Newf in him? Other option is to get a DNA test.
Too young to tell [4 months is a better guessing point] however, one way to get an idea is the paw size. Typically larger dogs have bigger paws [kind of silly to have a giant Dane on tiny Papillion paws] when they're growing up. If his paws seem outrageously big with respect to his body than he may have Newfie in him.

But the paw size test isn't 100% accurate either.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Definitely looks like a lab mix to me. Looks very much like my friend's lab mix as a baby, who I suspect is lab/bc mix more specifically. Her puppy looks quite like yours with the fluffy hair and everything. Most of the puppies in the litter looked like this. One littermate, belonging to another friend of mine, is also a lab mix that's black/tan and with a short coat instead. We suspect that the litter had two different fathers.

When considering certain breeds mentioned (the newfoundland and flat coat suggestions come to mind) you should consider what breeds are common in your area. I've seen very few newfoundlands around here, and the only flat coats I've seen are in show homes. The likelihood of those breeds being in a randomly bred mixed breed around here are probably very, very slim. They may be more common in the general dog population in your area, but something to consider. The more likely contributors to this pup's genes are what's common- things such as labs, border collies, GSDs, etc.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
21 lbs at 9 weeks makes me think there is something bigger in there than a lab or collie. For comparison, my lab/border collie/aussie mix was 10 lbs at 9 weeks. Are newfies common? Is your community very rural or more city like? How big are his paws?

My guess would be lab/bc/Pyrenees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
21 lbs at 9 weeks makes me think there is something bigger in there than a lab or collie. For comparison, my lab/border collie/aussie mix was 10 lbs at 9 weeks. Are newfies common? Is your community very rural or more city like? How big are his paws?

My guess would be lab/bc/Pyrenees.
Sorry lost track of this post!

Anyways, Trout(not Scout as I wrote for some reason) is doing well. He's still getting bigger by the day. Seems to be on track for a large lab weight. His paws are normal size to me, not noticeably large or small. Either way he is a friendly happy pup. Not afraid of anything so far, only peed once in the house so far. Sleeps almost the whole night, and walks good on the leash most times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts