Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently adopted a puppy from a neighboring state. The rescue told me he was cat tested, and that he was interested, but 'didn't really' chase or anything, and forgot about the cats when they left the room. I did tell them I have one skittish cat, so was a bit worried about the 'chase' comment.

We decided to go ahead, as a friend of mine is closely associated with this rescue, and I trust her. I picked him up last weekend. He is more than just interested...he's fixated!

He chases all the cats (I have four). All my cats have lived with dogs their entire lives, so they are dog savvy (my dog passed away in May). The puppy has never been around cats outside of the test, and was only tested once, about a month before I got him (he was roughly 12 weeks at the time). He was fostered with several big dogs, so he plays rougher than most puppies may.

I keep him on-leash in the house, and kenneled when I'm not home, and I have been working with two different trainers. I have always had cats and dogs at the same time (at one time 3 large dogs and 4 cats), but none of my previous dogs chased cats...ever...so this is all a bit disconcerting. The youngest cat handles the puppy-ness much better than the other three cats, though she still scoots when she sees him coming, most times. One of the cats hasn't come out of her closet since I brought the puppy home and he started lunging at her. So, now instead of one skittish cat, I have three!

He doesn't seem aggressive (although I can't tell what would happen if he'd catch one of the cats), as far as growling and barking. He will lunge at the baby gate and bark, but that seems to be more of a barrier frustration issue?

I'm kind of at my wits end. One of the cats has started having behavioral issues (she's peeing on stuff), and I no matter what I try it's one step forward and three back. I'm wondering if having so many cats is just overwhelming for him. I think he'd be ok with one cat, eventually, or maybe a cat and a dog, so the dog could distract him? But I need to find a way to introduce some peace into my home, before the cats go insane. Plus, the puppy shouldn't have to be crated forever!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know it's only been a short time, but nothing I'm trying is working, and I'm becoming concerned for my resident cats.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Can you give the cats a high value room that is completely dog free (not even "just looking") that includes every thing they need--this would be kitty litter, food, water, an interesting window, a warm bed and you, and other favourite people.
I wouldn't let the puppy practice any of the following behaviours,
Chasing, lunging, barking, or "the stare" which is the precurser. I would block the view of the cats if pups in a crate when you're not there.
This may be an adoption that doesn't work out, do they do take backs?
This is a scary topic for me, as I'm getting a new dog in January and my guys won't even peak at visitors.
Dynamo was a nightmare when we brought her home but turned into Riker's best friend eventually.
I'd work on giving those cats a secure dog free comfort zone so they can check out the puppy on their own terms. All the best, the shoe will be on my foot in a few weeks or months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Artdog.

Unfortunately, my house isn't set up to provide a 'cats only' area with all the niceties, but I do keep the dog blocked off in an upstairs room when I'm home, and they have free reign of the rest of the house, and also that room when I'm not there (and he's in a crate). They don't actually have to see him if they don't want to, but I hate the thought of them living in my basement or a closet for the rest of their lives, too.

The rescue will take him back, but the thought of that makes me physically ill. This is a horrible situation.

I will keep my fingers crossed that things go much more smoothly when your new addition comes!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Thanks Artdog.

Unfortunately, my house isn't set up to provide a 'cats only' area with all the niceties, but I do keep the dog blocked off in an upstairs room when I'm home, and they have free reign of the rest of the house, and also that room when I'm not there (and he's in a crate). They don't actually have to see him if they don't want to, but I hate the thought of them living in my basement or a closet for the rest of their lives, too.

The rescue will take him back, but the thought of that makes me physically ill. This is a horrible situation.

I will keep my fingers crossed that things go much more smoothly when your new addition comes!
Thanks, because, yes, gives me butterflies. I'm lucky, as we have a tiny house, but with lots of doors. Hopefully your kitties will settle once they feel safe again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts