Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... this is my first post and am hoping to get some replies asap because I only have a couple days to decide on this.

My neighbor fosters dogs and for a week now they have had a littler of 5 black lab/mix (possibly boxer) puppies who are going back to the humane society in 2 days at (18 weeks old). This seems to be quite serendipitous because my fiancee and I have been wanting a dog and have fallen for one of these pups.

The only hangup is that in 3 months we will be going on a 7-10 day vacation where we will be unable to bring a dog and I have read that this is a bad idea because new pups need stability. I work from home and am always around which might further make our absence stressful.

The neighbor who's fostering can watch her while we are away, either coming over to visit or having her stay at their house. The neighbors have 4 great kids who are ages 8-14 and a small dog. The puppies love the kids and I already know that if we get this puppy she will at first whine at the fence because they want to go over to play with the kids and the other puppies (when we've had just one of them over to visit they've done this after getting bored with us) and be where they first called "home". Our yards share a chain link fence and we have been passing the dogs over the fence for a few days now -- when they have gone out for a few hours I've watched them for the last 3 days and also spent one on one time with a few of them in our yard/house.

So if we get this puppy and have the neighbors watch her, I am afraid she might re-attach to that family and be hard on her when we come back from vacation. And I wonder if loosing us for 10 days is going to be too much stress and instability on her.

Should we wait and get another puppy later this summer or will the neighbor watching her be ok?

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think your reading too much into it. ;)

The puppy will be fine...just make sure in the three months up to the vacation she has lots of contact with your neighbor so that going to their house is second nature.

I think your plan is far less tramatic than a stay at the local humane society.

good luck

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts