Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help! My fiancé and I just recently got a beautiful basset hound puppy named Tinkerbell. She really has been a pretty incredible puppy. Figured out the pee pads right away, sleeps through the night in her crate, doesn't bark much, and is as cute and loving as can be. We have 2 adult cats as well. Tinkerbell has been great with them, she will see them walking around and won't bark, she will just watch. One of our cats has been coming to inspect her crate a little more thoroughly. Tinkerbell's crate is up against a baby gate, so she can go from her crate into the kitchen to eat/drink/potty. It started with our orange cat walking up the crate and Tinkerbell just watching. Then the cat kept getting closer and Tinkerbell would bark a little and the cat would not back down, to the point where she started crying and would back out of her crate into the kitchen while the cat reached into her crate to play with her toys.
We want the cats and dog to get along eventually. We want the cats to get to know her. Last night we woke up to the puppy crying in the kitchen while the cat stood at her crate mean-mugging. My fiancé had to sleep on the couch to keep the cat away so Tinkerbell could sleep (and so we could sleep). We feel bad punishing the cat for being curious, but we don't want the puppy scared either.
Any advice/tips anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
While the cat comes to inspect the puppy feed the pup some extra yummy treats. She'll soon learn that cats = treats and they are good to have around.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts