Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 4 month old mini goldendoodle. He's been doing really well so far and has minimal accidents in the house. Our biggest issue is when I leave for work in the morning. I work really wary hours so I take him for a walk feed him and then another walk all before I leave. Recently when I'm leaving for work at about 6 Am he barks non stop waking everyone else in the house up. Ill give him a new toy he'll play for it for a second and when he sees me heading for the door he freaks out again. Anyone ever experience this? I am leaving him in the kitchen until his mom comes down. When I put him in his crate at night he doesn't make a noise. He's doing well but this is driving everyone nuts!

Please help?!?!?

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is he barking a lot, then getting the toy, then resuming barking? If that's the case, it's because the initial barking tantrum is being rewarded with a toy. I would try that as soon as you get him back from the second walk, put him back in his crate with a toy/chew (or in the kitchen, wherever his spot is). Go about your business with getting ready to leave, and don't acknowledge him as you leave (no goodbyes to him).

You'll want a toy that keeps him entertained for the period of time that it takes you to leave after the second walk. So a treat-stuffed puzzle toy, or kong with peanut butter on the inside...something that will keep him mentally immersed.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You can try a treat dispensing puzzle or ball, or a Kong filled with some yummy stuff, to keep him occupied when you're leaving. That way the pup will be focused on the treats and not realize that you're gone.

You can stuff the kong with some treats and then plug it up with cheese or peanut butter. Or you can fill them with treats and water/broth and freeze for something that lasts a bit longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is as soon as I leave the room he barks. I have to get ready before I go down because if I were to go back up and get ready he barks. I give him his toy as I am leaving. He plays for it for a few seconds and then runs to the gate and starts to bark. I tried a food filled bone and he was the worst he's ever been today.

·
Registered
347 Posts
The problem is as soon as I leave the room he barks. I have to get ready before I go down because if I were to go back up and get ready he barks. I give him his toy as I am leaving. He plays for it for a few seconds and then runs to the gate and starts to bark. I tried a food filled bone and he was the worst he's ever been today.

You're going to need to teach him that being a quiet pup gets him what he wants. Unfortunately this means your family is going to be disrupted until he learns that. The way to do that is to not give into his barking or whining with your presence/attention/toys until he is quiet. The best time to teach him this is on a weekend. Put him in his crate/room/playpen area and then leave his line of sight. If he starts barking wait him out until he's quiet for a couple seconds then go back to him and give him a treat. You may only get a second or two to get in there when he's quiet so act fast. Slowly building up time away and he'll learn to be calm and entertain himself. The worst thing you can do during this process is reward him while he's barking/whining. As long as he's barking/whining he gets completely ignored. Every time you give in to him when he's barking it will reinforce his behaviour.

Also finding something to occupy his time in there will be trial and error, keeping trying puzzles, bones, treats until you find something he likes more than your attention. Dried meat and liver is a bit hit at my place. I stuff a treat ball with a bunch of that and my dog is only focused on getting those treats for the next 15 mins.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts