Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe is very well socialized, has LOVED it when we had dogs in the house for the weekend from visiting family but we are wondering how you all intoduced your established dog to the new puppy?

Chloe is 14mo old and is very friendly, secure & has never shown jealousy. Skyle, mini aussie, comes home in 2-3 weeks when he is 7-8 weeks old (at least). We are going to the breeder's house 2x/week until he comes home. We find a quiet spot, hang out on the floor with both him & Chloe together. So far the only thing we've allowed is for her to sniff him, otherwise she has to lay next to me. We want her to learn some self control around him because of age/size difference.

Our goal with the visits is when he does come home he won't be so scared & find comfort in the 3 of us so everything won't be so strange to him, something familiar.

What did you do to introduce your dogs? Advice?

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Honestly when I bring home a new dog I try to act as if nothing had happend and don't disrupt the flow of anything... mine are pretty used to dogs coming/going so i've never honestly put much thought into it..

Sitting on the floor and feeding them...one kibble at a time its a wonderful concept...they have to be patient and learn that good things only happen around each other. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I think dog's recognize puppies and know they are babies and to be gentle with them. Perhaps when you bring the new pup home, bring your dog to go with you, and then bring the two in the home at the same time-that way your dog won't feel like the pup is coming into her territory, but that they are arriving at the territory at the same time?

I guess the only other thing is just make sure you give your dog lots of fuss too so she doesn't feel jealous or left out ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.