Dog Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We're getting there.

I can tell she's going to be an amazing partner when we get into dog sports. Maybe therapy work as well, but we'll see if she still loves people as much then.

And who can resist a pup that will watch a childhood classic with you or help you kill yellowjackets? *I do the killing, she helps by finding and "keeping them at bay/holding."

Or resist this face?

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just needing a little pep talk 😬

So, three days ago pup and I got rushed by two dogs that then proceeded to follow us for about a block. The good news is one was dog neutral.and the other wanted to play, and we ended up getting them to their house. But that was about it and I just knew it was going to be a problem.

Cue next day where she's reluctant about a walk. In light of previous day, I start to put our walking gear away. She changes her mind, we go, and I let her choose the route. Nothing eventful.

Next day, she doesn't want to walk. Ok, no walk. Spidey senses are tingling again.I remember stress-stacking. It makes sense.

Today, she is excited for her walk. I take us at a different time, with a different harness just in case it helps. Well...it went fine mostly. Except she acts a little different when we come across another puppy. It wasn't reactive behavior, but, I guess ruder would be the word, than normal. She is usually a model canine and dog-savvy and polite. And they both did a shake off upon the encounter ending. Cue dread and fragile hope. She has been socialized carefully, from chihuahuas to labs and a great dane mix. We've practiced polite leash greetings sparingly for just in case. In class, she is the above. Then we come home. Where her best buddy, who she's known since the first day, pops her head out from next door. Mine stiffens and barks. Lola (friend dog) just stays where she's at. I coax pup in and let her off leash and out of harness. The two then proceed to play along the fence after a long drink of water like nothing is different.

I've dealt with leash reactivity and counter-conditioning. Been successful. Perfectly fine with dog-neutral dogs. The adolescent fear period is nigh, but we should hypothetically have some more time. Am I over thinking this?

I've been doing some of the usual BAT/LAT and +CC overlaps (scary/unsure thing=awesome. Ignoring dog/biker/jogger/etc.=awesome). Like, she even wags her tail for vacuuming. Only thing she's ever really been unsure of is reactive dogs, whether behind fences or across the street. Where I made sure to make it equal awesome and steer us away. This can happen to any of us....but pep talk, please? 😬

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
A quick question, do you drive?

I hope so, and that you can relate to this situation.

Occasionally, you will get a fright on the road, either because of someone else's fault or your own (not talking about an actual collision). You maybe have a bit of a near miss, or you realise someone was in your blind spot and you hadn't seen them, or similar. And for a little while after, you get jelly legs or clenching in your tummy feelings.

But if I asked you about a driving fright from 6 months ago, you probably wouldn't remember.

So it's a bit like that, a little blip, and you have so much more knowledge, skills and understanding than the average pet owner that you will get through this, together.

Keep on with what you are doing - you are doing great.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks 😅It sometimes feels like I've never raised a puppy before.

And, because I couldn't leave it alone mentally, I kept thinking about it. And I guess it's because I'm unexpectedly dealing with the baggage of my previous dog, who is also ghost 2, from my beginning post. You just had to be ON all the time. Because she'd go from happy for a walk to baring teeth in your face in the time it took to tie your shoe. A single lip lick to an empty-eyed lunge in 1 second. So, if we're using @JoanneF 's example, the driving fright also reminded me of an accident a few years back. But, the only way past is through, right?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts