Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my new pup spayed on 3/12. We have another dog, 3 years old, and they play all the time. I’ve been home recently due to the Coronavirus so I’ve been stopping them and we’ve been trying to carry her up and down stairs and up on the bed and off the bed but sometimes she does things on her own. Plus, she’s very anxious so she doesn’t always just lay down and relax but paces all the time! So tonight I noticed that her incision was a little oozy and it looked like maybe a scan came off. I don’t think it was a stich but I’ve never had to go through this surgery as our first dog was spayed when we rescued her. So I’m a paranoid and read how you need to go to the vet ASAP if you see any oozing. However, if it’s normal healing, than maybe I can save us both a long drive. The first picture was from yesterday and the second one is from today - which is the more oozy one. Plus it’s definitely a lot more red.

·
Super Moderator
10,775 Posts
That does not look good. Is she wearing a cone to prevent licking? Does the other dog lick at it?

To me it looks like it's getting inflamed, and might be getting infected, it's best to take care of it now, before it becomes an emergency.

When my old terrier mix was 8 months old I had him neutered, and before I managed to get him home he managed to pop out all the stitches (the vet did not give me a cone), back to the vet to have it restitched. Around 4 or 5 days later he was acting funny, and had managed to get the incision infected, back to the vet to get it cleaned and some antibiotics. The vet looked at Shadow and told him he was getting on his last nerve LOL. He finally healed and did great after that. I'm sure your girl will be the same, and the bad looking incision is just a bump in the road, but get her to the vet in the morning so that a small problem does not turn into a large one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does not look good. Is she wearing a cone to prevent licking? Does the other dog lick at it?

To me it looks like it's getting inflamed, and might be getting infected, it's best to take care of it now, before it becomes an emergency.

When my old terrier mix was 8 months old I had him neutered, and before I managed to get him home he managed to pop out all the stitches (the vet did not give me a cone), back to the vet to have it restitched. Around 4 or 5 days later he was acting funny, and had managed to get the incision infected, back to the vet to get it cleaned and some antibiotics. The vet looked at Shadow and told him he was getting on his last nerve LOL. He finally healed and did great after that. I'm sure your girl will be the same, and the bad looking incision is just a bump in the road, but get her to the vet in the morning so that a small problem does not turn into a large one!
Yes, she has a cone. We got her one of those donut ones because she was super afraid of the other one. She can’t get to it and we keep an eye on the other one so she doesn’t get at it. We also have her wearing a little body suit so that the other dog can’t get to it either. It’s nice and loose by the incision site so it shouldn’t be too tight around the wound and I try to keep it off when I’m home so that it gets aired out. It looked like it was fine yesterday and then boom, today it just didn’t look right! Thank you for the advice, I plan on calling the vet and taking her first thing so we can get ahead of it!

·
Super Moderator
668 Posts
You could try sending the photos to the vet to see if he can maybe suggest something or prescribe antibiotics that you could pick up closer to home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts