Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new addition to the family. He's a 3 month old American Bulldog mix. I hope I'm just being an over concerned parent but I'm paranoid about him showing signs of hip dysplasia. He lays awkward, and always kicks a leg back when laying down, almost as if he's uncomfortable. They are never close or tight next to him. I'll post pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Your Vet can X-ray him, then you will know for sure one way or the other. If he does have hip dysplasia, corrective surgery is generally very successful, especially on a young dog.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Always possible and, with those pics, I'd have the vet do the x-rays to be sure he's okay. Better to catch and fix it now than latter if, he does need surgery. If not, the x-rays will give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My staffy/pit mix recently got diagnosed with elbow and hip dysplasia and she's only 2.5 yrs old. I got x-rays done and luckily it was caught early and right now she's on a bunch of supplements: salmon oil, green lip mussel powder and glucosamine. Within a few weeks she was no longer limping and showing no signs of pain/discomfort. You wouldn't even know that she has dysplasia the way she plays and runs.

Looking at pictures isn't going to answer your questions, best thing to do is get x-rays and talk to your vet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Pitbull has laid like that since he was a puppy. I know its common in some breeds to lay like that. Does he walk funny or with a limp or is it just how he lays? My dog lays so weird but his hips are so far so good. He is 4 years old now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts