Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 12 week old border collie mix with cattle dog. He is 15-16bs and about 16” at his shoulder. mom is 100% border. Dad is 50/50 border/ catrle dog. I feel dad looks like smooth collie/ cattle dog instead of a border collie cattle dog there were even tri-colors in the litter that look exactly like a smooth collie. He is lanky but we think hes slightly underweight (eats 2 cups a day currently). What do you think his parents look like, also is he big for a border or normal?
Here is pup mom and dad

?
Dog Snow Dog breed Dog supply Carnivore
Dog Carnivore Companion dog Dog breed Grass
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Grass

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Couple thoughts.

I don't see the smooth collie. I do see the border though in your pup and mom.

The dad, while not impossible, I really think there is something else than the listed breeds in there.

Female dogs can have multiple dogs sire a litter, but how common are smooth collies in your area? In my area, I literally haven't seen one in over a decade. Your area might be different, but something to consider.

Your pup is a touch big, but that can happen. He might even out to a smaller size later, had a growth spurt, just be oversized, or a different breed from his genetic makeup.might be popping up in him.

And all of that said, in looks, he favors the bc part of him right now.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I agree that smooth collie is so very rare that it would be low on my list of possible crosses. Dad's face, head, and ear set remind me a bit of a hound cross I know. He also looks like he could have some Australian Shepherd in him. Really, though, it's really hard to say. Border collies have historically been bred for performance more than looks. I think a genetic test would be the best way to sort it all out.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
The mom looks like a full blood McNab border collie - my niece has one and here in Idaho McNabs are fairly common. I think they are pretty common in most of the western states where sheep and cattle were/are part of an area's history. I'm in Idaho...cattle country along with some sheep and the McNab's are seen as much as the longer hair version border collies.

The dad...I know you mentioned he was a mix of two dog breeds, regular border collie and probably red heeler (Australian cattle dog)...I have never heard the term catrle before as far as a dog breed goes. And the Australian cattle dog, at least in my part of the Idaho is almost always called a blue heeler as that's the most common color, but we also have some red heelers here too.

Some red and blue heelers (Australian cattle dogs) have naturally floppy ears.
However, it could even be that some of the dad's back pedigree could have some Australian Shepherd...as their coats are more 'furry' than the longer hair-like fur of a regular border collie, and Australian Shepherds can also have 'floppy' ears as well as that reddish coloring.

Your puppy, to me looks like a McNab more than anything else...took after his mom.
Some McNabs are a little furry looking as puppies - then shed that puppy coat and become slick haired dogs. Or, he might have picked up some of the furry-ness from his dad...which, I think comes from some Australian shepherd that might be in his father's pedigree.

Given the McNab and regular border collie in him...I can tell you he's going to be 100 percent nuclear powered...I hope you have the means to let him unleash all that energy. Those dogs were bred to run and work hard all day long, and they are super intelligent so they can get bored Really Fast. Basing this upon my niece's dog and also on those owned by some rancher friends of mine. I always got the impression that they were like muscle sports cars...engines revving all the time...lol

I'm old and slow...chose a golden retriever...lol...they are adaptable...can hike all day for those more active or can be just as content as couch potatoes...with some play activity built into their schedule each day. But border collies...wow...they never seem to tire. :p

Cute puppy...have you named him yet?

Stormy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts