Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I’ve never owned a dog in my life and I’m a bit lost on what to do. she is 10 week old. I’ve had her for 10 days.
My problem is I havent been the best dad to her mostly due to lack of knowledge.
I’ve shown agressive behavior towards her
I’ve put her in a kennel for too long
Got upset with her for going in the house

this has caused her to be mad at me distant
She won’t give me kisses
When she lays on me she faces away from me.
she won’t let me put her leash on to go for a walk
she also tries to bite me

i realize the errors I’ve made and will be better going forward. How do I correct the behaviors I created with my puppy? I really want to make this work

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
She probably finds your behaviour confusing - you want her to be affectionate but then you were upset at her for having an accident in the house. Remember she is a baby and has no control over her toileting yet.

So, dogs learn best by being rewarded for the things they do well. For the toileting take her out at least once an hour, when she toilets outside tell her she is a good girl and give her a reward like a tiny piece of roast chicken. When she learns outside toilets make chicken happen, she will start to try to hold her toilet to get the chicken. But that will take a few weeks. Accidents indoors are your fault, not hers, because you didn't have her in the right place when she had to go. Never scold her for accidents in case she thinks you are cross at her for toileting as opposed to toileting in the house. That can make dogs seek opportunities to toilet in your absence, not what you want.

Then, don't leave her in her kennel for too long - what is ”too long” in your terms? And what caused you to get aggressive, what did she do and what did you do? If you are more specific we can probably help with suggestions.

Kikopup on YouTube is a good resource for short training videos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She probably finds your behaviour confusing - you want her to be affectionate but then you were upset at her for having an accident in the house. Remember she is a baby and has no control over her toileting yet.

So, dogs learn best by being rewarded for the things they do well. For the toileting take her out at least once an hour, when she toilets outside tell her she is a good girl and give her a reward like a tiny piece of roast chicken. When she learns outside toilets make chicken happen, she will start to try to hold her toilet to get the chicken. But that will take a few weeks. Accidents indoors are your fault, not hers, because you didn't have her in the right place when she had to go. Never scold her for accidents in case she thinks you are cross at her for toileting as opposed to toileting in the house. That can make dogs seek opportunities to toilet in your absence, not what you want.

Then, don't leave her in her kennel for too long - what is ”too long” in your terms? And what caused you to get aggressive, what did she do and what did you do? If you are more specific we can probably help with suggestions.

Thank you for the reply.
I’ve been upset with her for eating objects on the floor for going to the bathroom in the house mostly (I picked her up and dropped her off in another spot (extremely small push/toss not a set down. ) I’ve also been aggressive with her while playing with her. She’s fell from my lap a couple times and I’ve tripped over her because she’s tiny.
I’ve also left her in the kennel for 5-6 hrs at a time. She’s pooped in her kennel because of that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I
Thank you for the reply.
I’ve been upset with her for eating objects on the floor for going to the bathroom in the house mostly (I picked her up and dropped her off in another spot (extremely small push/toss not a set down. ) I’ve also been aggressive with her while playing with her. She’s fell from my lap a couple times and I’ve tripped over her because she’s tiny.
I’ve also left her in the kennel for 5-6 hrs at a time. She’s pooped in her kennel because of that. I realize the errors I’ve made it just seems irreparable to me which makes me upset because I want to make it work so much.

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
For eating objects off the floor, that could be dangerous for her so two things; first make sure there is nothing for her to pick up and second, teach her ”leave it” (don't pick it up) and ”drop it” (if she has picked up something. I'm sure Kikopup has videos on YouTube that will show you how, so does Chirag Patel who is also very good.

And 5-6 hours is a long time to leave her. If that's going to be a regular thing, can you get a dog walker to look in on her? To toilet train she really needs hourly trips outside.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Think about all the things you've done to her, and imagine that this was a baby - you've left them on their own for hours, you've got angry with them for toileting or putting something they shouldn't in their mouth, you've dropped them and you've been aggressive to them. I'm not saying this to make you feel more guilty, but to help you appreciate why this was so inappropriate. Puppies (and babies) can be infuriating, but as adults we do need to learn ways to cope with this - your best approach might be to take a deep breath, walk out of the room, and go and bang your head against the wall or something.

Don't try to show her too much affection for now - treat her kindly, speak to her kindly, give her praise and treats whenever she doesn't something right, encourage her play... and soon she should begin to trust you and approach you for affection more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think about all the things you've done to her, and imagine that this was a baby - you've left them on their own for hours, you've got angry with them for toileting or putting something they shouldn't in their mouth, you've dropped them and you've been aggressive to them. I'm not saying this to make you feel more guilty, but to help you appreciate why this was so inappropriate. Puppies (and babies) can be infuriating, but as adults we do need to learn ways to cope with this - your best approach might be to take a deep breath, walk out of the room, and go and bang your head against the wall or something.

Don't try to show her too much affection for now - treat her kindly, speak to her kindly, give her praise and treats whenever she doesn't something right, encourage her play... and soon she should begin to trust you and approach you for affection more.
thanks for the honesty. I hope so much that I can fix this. I've become so attached to her since getting her that I’ve been so upset the last couple days because of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you recommend I do if I can’t take her out for a potty during the day? I have nobody that can watch her unfortunately

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Can you get a dog walker, or even a neighbour to call in (pay them)?

Or you could section off part of your home for her and accept that she will toilet there. She physically cannot control her bladder and bowel so unless someone takes her out regularly to keep her empty, she will have no choice but to toilet where she is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the honesty. I hope so much that I can fix this. I've become so attached to her since getting her that I’ve been so upset the last couple days because of it
Can you get a dog walker, or even a neighbour to call in (pay them)?

Or you could section off part of your home for her and accept that she will toilet there. She physically cannot control her bladder and bowel so unless someone takes her out regularly to keep her empty, she will have no choice but to toilet where she is.
I domt Have anyone reliable to come in during the day. I did Ask someone in my building who works close by but she has been unreliable.
What are your thoughts on a feeding/water schedule?

·
Super Moderator
437 Posts
Water should be available at all times and your puppy needs feeding at least three times, probably four times per day.

I don't want to sound unkind but did you do much planning before you committed to taking this dog?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Water should be available at all times and your puppy needs feeding at least three times, probably four times per day.

I don't want to sound unkind but did you do much planning before you committed to taking this dog?
Unfortunately it was a bit of an impulse decision I didn’t do extensive research. I dont Want to give up on her though. I reslmy Want to make this Work

·
Registered
177 Posts
Dear god... I am reading these posts and I want to weep, why? why did you just go out and get a dog like that?you really should have done your research... but ok you have her now and now it is your duty to care for her. Your absolute first thought should be her and what she needs and she needs regular kind attention... she does not be need to be pushed or tripped over or left alone for hours on end she needs a routine she needs you to be there,or if you can't be there yourself arrange some kind of doggy daycare and do it sooner rather than later, because by leaving her alone to poo all over the place or in a kennel/ crate she will never learn to be house trained. then you will blame her when the fault actually lies with you ....if I sound harsh I'm sorry but yes I am because this is a baby we are talking about it might have fur and four legs but it is still in all sense of the word a baby. so decide what's best for her, can you offer her life she needs ie regular play , lots of rest , regular outside time to walk to poo to learn to be house trained if you can't arrange this. Do the right thing and give her up but don't put her in a kennel , leave her hours and then blame her for what happens.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unfortunately it was a bit of an impulse decision I didn’t do extensive research. I dont Want to give up on her though. I reslmy Want to make this Work
You may want to make it work but might not actually be able to. You have made a very bad impulse choice to buy a dog that you’re not able to care for correctly. It’s not fair to keep the dog if you’re not able to make some major changes. I get really sad reading your posts. You leave a puppy who’s just 10 weeks old alone and lock her in a crate for 5-6 hours, that’s not okay. The good thing is that you own up to your misstakes but it doesn’t seem like you have the knowledge nor the time to care for a puppy right now. It’s not fair to keep her just because you have become attached to her. She needs a home where she gets the time she deserves.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have to agree with Mad Murphy all the way. Her response was exactly what I was thinking. You should never have gotten a dog without thinking it through and researching what it is to own a dog. Reprimanding a baby especially one that is brand new to your house, because he eats things off the floor, which you’re going to learn puppies do constantly, It’s just plain cruel. . . Why would you do such a thing. I would strongly suggest you give her up to someone who knows how to handle puppies because she’s going to be a puppy for a long time. How can you possibly expect a dog this young to know exactly what the right thing to do? And why have a dog if you’re going to leave it alone in a crate for six hours at a time? I doing this you were forcing your puppy to soil his own surroundings
Sorry but maybe a dog is just not for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts