Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New owner needs help potty training

587 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  lablover09 
#1 ·
I am the new owner of a beautiful and loving 1 year old rescue. And when i say new she is the first dog i have ever owned, EVER!! Let me give some background. Her name is Bryar and she is a Labrador retriever mix. she was in and out of 2 kill shelters in Alabama, then picked up by the almost home foundation. She almost died of distemper after that too. Needless to say the pup has had a rough life until now. Her foster says she never had any trouble with her doing her business outside, she never crated her and that she was an all together amazing foster dog. Well she is now having some issues. I live in an apartment complex where there is a lot of other dogs and they all go out to this nice large field to poop and pee. Bryar is scared to death to go out there, i sometimes have to drag here and even then she will not do her business. We have been putting out puppy pads for when we arent home because that seems to be the only time she will go. She pees on the puppy pad, but then poops all over my carpet. I dont think she means to at all and feels bad, but how do i get her to go outside? She also does this excited pee whenever we come home and it gets all over the carpet. Can anyone help me please!!!!

#2 ·
It sounds like she's scared and probably unsocialized. Fearfuldogs.com has a lot of resources for fearful dogs and Dog Star Daily has a great download on socialization.

Distemper can leave a dog with lifelong neurological deficits, has she been evaluated by your vet? By any vet?

Also, how else are you training her? Any punishments, yelling, tssts, pokes, anything? Are you using a harness or a collar? What kind of treats in what quantity? Is she getting any exercise?

#3 ·
Thanks for the Reply!

Wow. I did not know distemper could cause that! We plan on taking her to the vet this week for a checkup. She really does have some social problems though. She is great with people, but when it comes to other dogs she is having a really hard time. She doesn't really go to the bathroom in front of us in the house only when we are gone. From what i have read you aren't supposed to punish them at that point because they have no idea what you are punishing them for anyways. I use a collar on her too and when she is not cooperating about going outside i raise my voice or give her a light swat on the behind. She gets treats for being good and going outside, but as of late she hasn't gone to the bathroom outside in quite awhile. I usually let her chew on a rawhide bone for a bit or just a small doggy treat at that point, i forget what kind though. I will definitely check out these websites. Any further advise you have will be so much appreciated. I just want her to be happy and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.