Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating weather or not to post this now, or wait. But I figured why not, plus you guys actually get the excitement and anxieties of getting another or just a dog in general (most of my friends ended up being cat people :D).
Her name is Dani, which im considering changing especially since I have an uncle Danny. But ill see when we meet her. Which isn't until the end of November when her transport comes. As soon as I saw her picture I was immediately drawn to her, and as luck would have it, she had the temperament I was looking for. We've also decided to foster-to-adopt, which is basicly a 2 week trail period before you officially adopt. I really hope it works out. I was leaning more towards the anxiety side in terms of getting a new dog. But I think taking care of my sisters dog + Sawyer when she came over for my nieces birthday helped.
Anyways, Dani is a husky mix. Which I normally really wouldn't look at let alone a pure bred husky, even though I love the breed, due to their high energy/exercise needs. That and huskies aren't always the easiest breed to train and I love doing trick training and training in general. But from her bio and asking about her, it seems like she's not as high energy as what you find with most huskies and husky X's. But she looks like a labxhusky (do you see anything else?) so I think some of it may come from the lab side. I mean she could prove me wrong once she settles in but who knows.
Here she is:
Dani 1.jpg

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
revolutionrocknroll- Thank you :), me too, white huskies with blue eyes are my favorite and sable and white's

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
She's pretty! She looks a bit nervous there. I hope she gets along well with Sawyer. And Lab cross might be possible. "Labsky" is one of those ridiculous designer breeds they market now. Although my first thought was some ACD but I usually have them on the brain since I have one! Best of luck. :) And let us know if you change her name!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
traciek88- Thank you, im excited to bring her home but nervous at the same time that something's not going to work. But the only way to find out is to bring her home so theres no point in getting my self worked up early lol.
Who knows she might have some ACD in her, I was thinking maybe malamute too looking at the size of her front paws. If she does work out I want to eventually do a wisdom panel or something like that to see what they come up with. That and usually labxhuskies don't tend to look like bulkier lab colored huskies but then again genetics can give you some unexpected results.

If it wasn't for having a uncle Danny, I think I might have kept her name as Dani, its kind of grown on me. Plus I have a hard time coming up with female names, I have tons of male names that I would love to name a dog but not so much for females. So far my list of potential names are Nona, Revy, Moria, Aven, Vega and Via, but ill see when we meet her.
These are her other pics from petfinder
Dani 2.jpg
Dani 3.jpg

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
what a sweetie! :D
i think she looks like a "Snow White".

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
156 Posts
She is gorgeous. I didn't see lab in her at all until the up close pic of her face looking at the camera.

If you do get a wisdom panel they aren't always 100%. Rhodesian Ridgeback is the only breed we were certain Asha had when we got her panel done (she has a full on ridge) and RR didn't even show up.

Reactions: cos

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
She's beautiful!

I always liked the name Maisy for a girl dog :)

I think if I was to adopt (which I'll probably do next) I'll probably want to do a foster-to-adopt, and I think it's really neat that they're letting you do that. It's really responsible of them, so that if the owners realize the dog is too much / more than they thought then the dog at least has a reliable place to return to. Also some dogs just don't pair up with someone's lifestyle, and they may not know until it's too late. (Not saying this is likely to happen with you, I just think it's really cool!)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yaaa, she's on her way. Her transport group should be arriving either tonight or tomorrow. Im still both excited and nerveous, but I wont know how its going to work until we bring her home. If all things go according to plan and she checks out medically (they all get a vet check up before going to their homes) we will be bringing her home Friday afternoon. Fingers crossed all goes well, and Sawyer and her get along.

Im pretty sure that's her up front, as if I remember correctly she's the only one who looks like that in this group. If not then there will be more upcoming FB pics when they get here :D.
12208590_1010445305680322_8628224250030864921_n.jpg

·
Registered
579 Posts
She is gorgeous! I really like the name Via. I really hope she settles in comfortably with you and Sawyer!

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K9Chaos- Thank you. I hope she does too.

Sigh, of coarse Sawyer manages to injure himself 2 days before we bring Dani home. He got major zoomies outside and decided to jump over a rock pile and in the midst whack his leg on a concrete block. Thankfully other then stretching his leg back after and possibly some slight tenderness while walking his leg seems fine. He did however give himself a flesh wound. It looks like it was just the first layer of skin, and all the hair is gone from the wound. But its not bleeding thankfully. Hopefully with some antiseptic spray and some rest he should be ok, might call the vets to see what they think about him hitting his leg then stretching it back after, but ill se how he feels.

Oh on happier news, Dani's transport came yesterday. They haven't really posted any transport pics yet. But knowing me as soon as she gets home im going to become a picture monster ;P.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My first dog was half Siberian Husky and half Lab. She was the spitting image of Dani! Mine had one blue eye and one split eye, and her ears were floppy. Other than that, she looked basically identical. My breath literally caught in my throat when I saw Dani's picture - I've never seen a dog so similar to mine. Good luck with her!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It kind of feels weird that im bringing her home tomorrow. I think because weve been waiting for 3-4 weeks it still feels like were not getting her yet. Anyways today is vet check day. They will also send out fecal samples for testing. The results come back tomorrow, and if everything is negative then we can bring her home. I do find it impressive that the lab theyre sending it to, will be doing 30 samples in such a short period of time. Anyways hopefully Dani's all healthy and ready to go tomorrow, fingers crossed.

On Sawyers injury front, after a good nights sleep there doesn't seem to be any obvious swelling. There might be a little but its hard to tell. The cut seems to be starting to heal well, I hope the antiseptic spray helps, I got one that's suppose to help numb the area a little so it doesn't hurt so much. The part that's worrying me is that I hope he didn't hurt his tarsal joint or the ligiments around it. The cut (which is were im assuming his leg hit) is right under were the tarsal joint on his leg is. But other then looking like it might be a little stiff when he's walking, he's "trotting" around, attempting to jump and if I let him he'd probably run around outside. Im not sure if the stiffness is from the cut since its were his leg bends, or because even though theres no swelling im sure he probably bruised the muscle some. Or a combination of both. Also no real heat around the cut, but my hands are really cold at the moment so its hard to tell for sure. My plan right now is to have him take it easy, no running or jumping until Dani gets here. Because im sure they will want to play. Hopefully his leg will feel good enough to handle it. Then on sunday depending on how he's walking ill call the vets to see if we should bring him in to see if there's any underling injury.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
She's home, and in a whole a absolute sweetheart. However relations between her and Sawyer could be going better. Multipull times they have gotten into disputes that have lead to raised hackles, teeth showing, growling and barking. Basicly I felt it could escalate to a fight if I didn't intervine. When I was feeding her in the kennel, Sawyer walked up to the kennel and she growled and snapped at him. When they were playing and over a baby gate is when the escalated disputes occurred. I also think she's a resource guarder with dogs, she took one of Sawyers morrow bones and when he went towards her she growled at him (I didn't want to chance with me so I traded for a treat). I honestly got so stressed out that I started crying, it didn't help that every time I told my parents I wanted to do something with them one way, or it doesn't work like that, I received a condisending "that's stupid/ridiculous" look especially when I didn't agree with my mom.
I know its only her first day, but it makes me worried that disputes of that level have already occurred in the two+ hours she's been here. At this point im already exhausted. They have done better when we let them play leashed but there were still disputes. Ive also noticed Dani has been doing some chin resting on Sawyer. I also think Sawyer may be somewhat jeleous of me giving her attention which is why he doesn't leave her alone. in some cases. It sucks because she's a absolute sweetheart. Maybe im just not cut out for more then one dog, or at least with Sawyer.And maybe it would be better for him to have dogs over on a visiting bassis only.
Anyways im going to decide tomorrow or sunday weather she is going to fit in with us.
Realisticly I need it be were im comfortable to be to manage it when im home by myself. Maybe we just haven't found the right dog, im finding theres a specific type of dog/personality he does best with and is most comfortable with. Anways I think if I do decide its not going to work, im going to be a 1 dog house hold for awhile. I still feel really bad, because she's a great dog. But to me personally, my dogs getting along is one of the most important thing for me.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Have you worked with parallel walking? That can really help some dogs make positive/neutral sort of relationships with each other.

I'll throw out that resource guarding can be managed fairly easily unless it's severe. My dogs don't, in my opinion, "resource guard" but will still snarl at each other if one of them starts trying to get something another has. I]m lucky in that Skipper and Quenya never resort to biting, and will back way from Victoria if she snaps at them (when they've come over to annoy her). Victoria will attack the snot out of anydog who tries to eat from her food bowl and has to be fed seperately (although she's a pug and honestly couldn't bite anything with force if her life depended on it).

Not that I'm saying you should keep her, if you feel like she's a bad fit. She may indeed have some guarding and reactivity problems that will be too much. For many dogs growling doesn't fall on the same level as "I'm going to attack you" If you're interested, this is a really neat article/video showing how dogs can choose outwardly aggressive behavior, yet honestly not desire to engage in a fight. It's two dogs fighting through a barrier that they could easily get around--but the barrier gives them a chance to display while knowing that an actual fight isn't required.
Fence Fighting | The Bark

I hope you feel at peace with whatever decision you make!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank for your advice rough diamond. I actually got similar advice when I e-mailed the rescue about what was going on and my thoughts. She basically told me to keep them separated for a day or two then have them meet again (for instance parallel walking) in short controlled sessions. My only worry is that after sunday im home by myself most of the day due to my collage schedual. So I need to be able to manage them in a safe manner by my self. And this Thursday (only 6 days) is thanksgiving, which we host so there will be 10ish people (which includes 4 young boys and a toddler) plus me and my parents .

The RG worries me more because I don't know how she would react if given the chance. Ive only known her for less then a day. And mr. fluffy pants isn't always the best at realizing that hey time for a break or to leave them alone. When she had the bone it was only for a few seconds and we had just come in from outside so its not like he was pestering her, or that she had it for a long time. I could manage the feeding sepretaly thing, but I don't know how equipped I feel for managing RG.

Anyways I just don't know. I would love to keep her, she's a awesome dog, and I at least know if it doesn't work out she will be snapped up by some one quick. I just kind of feel like ive had the worst luck with trying to add a new addition. Not that in the previous case or now they weren't "good" dogs, but they just didn't/don't get along with Sawyer great. The more I think about it, the more I think he really does do best with calm, "submissive" (in personality), don't quite mind a annoying doggy buddy but will say something if he goes to far kind of dog (which is why he gets along so well with my brother pit).

(sorry for the long post, this kind of ended up being a tired thought dump too).

·
Registered
871 Posts
I spent the first day I brought Aayla home crying because Kota made it very clear how much he didn't like her. He was guarding his water, toys, us and overall would even go after her for no reason. (she would be walking away from him and not towards any resources)

They now play together, when Kota feels up for it, and she climbs all over him. It took two weeks before I could stop micro managing everything and let them interact on their own.

Give it time. Will the rescue take her back at any time if it doesn't work out? Give it at least a week, two if you can. If things get worse or make no improvement at all then maybe its not meant to be. Yet give it time. New homes and new dogs and stressful on everyone. Let everyone settle down. Make them give space between each other, then only do walks together. Then have them both on leash in the same room but apart, then work up to interactions.

Reactions: KayWilson

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Don't forget she's had a rough journey to get her and is probably freaked about this new family she's been placed into. I'd give it more time. Maybe try a little crate and rotate when you're alone? Try CCing her to him?

Is there anyway to not hold thanksgiving at your house? Or maybe find a quite place for the new addition to be, like a garage, until she's more settled?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, I spent the day observing their behaviors and really thinking things through. And I have decided to bring her back. Part of the reason is her RGing, between Sawyers issues, I feel that I don't have the time she really needs to work on her Rg. And its escalated somewhat, she growled with teeth for sniffing the same bag of treats, and did it again more then once while I was holding the bag and he was right next to her (in both of these cases no treat was out). She started pulling stuffing out of his bed, was fine with me taking it away but when Sawyer got even remotely close she growled, and when I put down the new bed we got she stood on it for a second and just having him stand next to hear caused her to growl with teeth and wouldn't let him walk past to leave the room. I had to walk between them to let him get out of the room. Even every play session pretty much ends in some sort of dispute, neither of them will leave the other alone. I do try to separate them, but if its not done a certain way, she whines, or he whines, barks and yelps even with a high value long(ish) lasting treat. If she's in the crate and he can go see her, she growls at him. If he's in his crate or a room by himself and im with her, he whines barks and yelps, and will freak out more if in a crate. He does better if im with him, however most of the times he still whines and gets upset. The other reason is I can tell that Sawyer is very stressed, his body language 50%-80% of the time is very stiff and it clearly bothers him when I give her attention, especially if I start playing with her a little. It also doesn't help that he doesn't do as well with "dominant" (in personality) dogs. I think for the time being, Sawyer needs to be the only dog with doggy buddies over on a visiting basis only. And I feel that Dani needs some one who is able to devote the time she needs to work through her rging, which I feel that I am not able to do, or prepared (I don't think im ready to tackle rging in this sense). I love her, she's a sweat heart and loves to cuddle and give kisses, but I think this is the best for the three of us.

Reactions: KayWilson
1 - 20 of 28 Posts