Dog Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife and I adopted Astra five months ago from a local shelter here in southern California. She was bought for $50 from homeless man in Ensenada Mexico, who had no means of providing for her, by a Mexican shelter volunteer who works with local shelters here.

Thankfully she was crate trained when we took her home, but she wasn't housebroken or had any leash training. They estimated her age between 10-12 months, so she might be up to 1 1/2 years old, but she still acts like a puppy. I've owned cats all my life but as a first time dog owner, she's been a handful and a real lifestyle change.

My wife did an embark DNA test;
38.8% Chihuahua
32.6% Mini/Std Schnauzer
9.2% Maltese
5.2% Pekingese
3.4% Cocker Spaniel
10.8% 'Supermutt'?

I'm just learning about breeds, but from what I've read she seems to have a terrier disposition. Owning a dog is awesome and she's the cutest little puppy in the world. She only stands approx 13" and weighs 10.5 pounds. I have a million questions about training I'll be asking soon, I have so much to learn!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Working animal
Dog Carnivore Brick Fawn Companion dog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! She's so adorable and sweet! I have a mini schnauzer, I can def see that terrier in her. She's a tiny girl, must be the chi and maltese influence. I would say mini schnauzer over standard for her.

If she has mini schnauzer in her, she will likely act like a puppy for most her life!

Supermutt lol!
Yeah it's interesting, while she's mostly Chihuahua, she looks most like a Schnauzer. I've cut her hair once, next time I think I'll have cut like it's done for Schnauzers, I'll have a pseudo Schnauzer.

She's 27.2% Miniature and 5.4% Standard Schnauzer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts