Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

New to the forum so I'll make a quick introduction, followed by a question. I have recently acquired a Caucasian Shepherd puppy. I have done extensive research on this breed, several books and discussions with several breeders. This was not an "I want a badass dog" purchase. I grew up with Rottweilers and have a deep love and respect for all guardian breeds. My husband came into our relationship with a Catahoula Leopard dog, so he's familiar with a stubborn dog with a good hunting instinct more than a guardian breed, but isn't new to the stubborn puppy training game.

Our new puppy Mosin is settling in quite nicely with our two cats and our Catahoula, Bailey, and is learning his basic obedience quite nicely ON LEAD.

Our biggest problem right now is if he is off lead out in the yard for potty/playtime and he finds a scent that's interesting or anything, he isn't receptive to the "come" command. He has gone as far as to run in the opposite direction rather than come. I know that this is a stubborn breed and has to understand "why" they are to follow a command, so it's something we've been working on. Any suggestions to help there? We have a large property for him to run around in, and I would hate to have to keep him on lead all the time right now.

Also, he has snapped at my husband twice when my husband is trying to discipline him. Once was trying to get a baby bunny away from him that he found in the yard, and once this morning as he was carrying him away from one of the cats he was trying to get to play with him. I have not had a single problem with him so far. I can stick my hand right in his bowl as he eats with no food aggression, and if I tell him no he listens. I worry that maybe he just doesn't view my husband as an Alpha? He has been careful not to smack him on the nose or anything because he's afraid of hurting him. I'm a big believer in the distraction noise and a firm tap along the neck to show him I mean business, but will also give a light smack on the nose if he won't stop biting or chasing the cats. Any advice there would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hello!

Our biggest problem right now is if he is off lead out in the yard for potty/playtime and he finds a scent that's interesting or anything, he isn't receptive to the "come" command. He has gone as far as to run in the opposite direction rather than come. I know that this is a stubborn breed and has to understand "why" they are to follow a command, so it's something we've been working on. Any suggestions to help there? We have a large property for him to run around in, and I would hate to have to keep him on lead all the time right now.

Also, he has snapped at my husband twice when my husband is trying to discipline him. Once was trying to get a baby bunny away from him that he found in the yard, and once this morning as he was carrying him away from one of the cats he was trying to get to play with him. I have not had a single problem with him so far. I can stick my hand right in his bowl as he eats with no food aggression, and if I tell him no he listens. I worry that maybe he just doesn't view my husband as an Alpha? He has been careful not to smack him on the nose or anything because he's afraid of hurting him. I'm a big believer in the distraction noise and a firm tap along the neck to show him I mean business, but will also give a light smack on the nose if he won't stop biting or chasing the cats. Any advice there would be appreciated as well.
Get a 15 to 20 ft lead and keep the pup on it at all times until he has a good recall. This way he can get some distance from you but you have control to
bring him back to you if he does not respond to come. You never want to have to chase him or it becomes a game. STOP hitting or grabbing your dog in any way or you will make him aggressive. Better to use a positive interrupter instead. Forget the alpha stuff it is useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvPaqMZyo8

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. I will definitely try the 15 to 20 ft. lead. However, from everything I have read on this breed they have a big pack mentality and the alpha stuff isn't necessarily useless with them. I haven't done very much work with a clicker in the past. Mostly corrective collars on lead. I am up for trying some new things. We are working with a harness every night now and I'm having my husband be the one to walk him on lead as he has the most problems. Trial and error!

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
We have a 4 year old min pin that is butter around the gf, but willingly gets a little snippy with me. He's bitten me twice - granted I was asking for it and he plainly showed regret. Nobody else has issue with the dog, just me but I still love the little bugger.

I don't know what it is. We feed raw and cooked, gf can take his raw bones from him - but I get growled at, it's like a game with him - but then he goes red zone until I get really firm with him - then he backs down. I've never yelled at him, never hit him, he just knows when I'm serious.

I've been working with him in and out of kennel, he seems to be finally getting the fact that i'm not going to take his stuff. Time may be all you need.

As far as him responding to "come", no idea. Ours has that problem too when he's on the hunt for a mouse or gopher. It's like he goes deaf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told from the beginning that this breed has to understand "why" they are being called, otherwise they kind of act like they'll get around to it when they want to. I just don't want a 180 lb. dog that acts like a cat. Lol. Thank you for your help, let's me know we're not the only ones that have this little problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts