Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what was supposed to be a Shiba Inu, but I am certain he is a mix at the least as he's 50 pounds of dog, instead of 20ish. Either way, he's been in the home for the last 7 years, has been neutered, and is a sweet pup with my kids, and all of my guests. We recently brought a new dog into the home, a much smaller dog, I believe that he is a Malti-Poo. He is about 4 years old and has not been neutered yet. The new dog has been trying to hump my dog non-stop, and despite bring housebroken, continues to pee and poop in the house, mostly in one particular room. I figured these behaviors to be male dominance issues, but I'd like some other opinions on this. He has an appointment to be neutered next week, and we have him crated most of the time now because my much bigger dog is starting to get a bit more aggressive with him due to his humping, and I'm trying to avoid my dog killing the much smaller new guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
He sounds overstimulated and preoccupied with the new dog. It's a huge adjustment! Separate them completely (except for walks) and give the new dog time to settle in. Go back to square 1 with potty training for your old dog (crated unless supervised, super tasty treats for going outside) until he is refreshed on the basics. He probably relapsed because of the busyness and upheaval in the family, not any dominance issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We got the big one (Shisaa) from a breeder out of Kansas City I believe. His littermates were all black and white, or all white like himself with a hint of brown. He was the biggest pup and was food aggressive, so he was discounted, so we got him. He's fine as far as where he pees and poops. The new, smaller dog (Beni) is the one having the problems right now. He has been a bit better behaved since we began crating him. He tried to hump on Shisaa a couple of days ago, and Shisaa started to roughhouse with him a bit which seemed to take a lot of starch out of his britches, so to speak. I'm happy that no blood was drawn, but I think Shisaa got his point across. SO now he tries to hump on our house cat.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, as I was typing the last post, I heard Beni go upstairs, so I called him down before he could do anything, and closed the door to the only room that was open, in the time it took to walk upstairs, check for poop quickly, close the door, and walk downstairs, he had already pooped in the living room, and quietly gotten back into his crate. He'd already been outside just minutes before, and when we first got him, pooping inside wasn't an issue, as he would let us know to let him outside. We just started using the Nature's Miracle Mark No More spray, so hopefully that helps, but we are close to catching him in the act so we can correct it better.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I know it is a pain but prevention really is your front line. Every time your dog poops on the carpet, whether you catch him or not, he is practising the opposite of what you want him to do. Crate him or tether him to your waist, get in him like white on rice. Don't leave him to roam because if he senses that you dislike him soiling the house in plain sight, he will wait until the moment you are not looking his way before he relieves himself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think we've got an understanding of how he works in this sense. He won't be allowed to roam the house on his own until after he is fixed, and we're confident that he's done trying to mark everywhere. He tried to mark upstairs again after he pooped downstairs and my wife lost track of him again as she continued through her morning routine, but my daughter woke up and caught him. This little guy is adorable, but he is such a pain right now, but I'm sure that once we get him all trained up that he'll be a wonder dog. He's already sweet, we just have to get him used to being HERE with us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we got him to poop outside this morning. He was whining, and wanted to come inside, but I figured it was because he wanted to poop in the house. So I just stood out there with him and Shisaa until little Beni decided to drop that deuce. We all came in after that, and he's been behaving well this morning, just hanging out with all of us. All the doors upstairs are still closed just in case he feels the need to pee somewhere other than outside. Thank you Kelly528 for the advice on this little guy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been a few days, and he's pooped on the floor once since then. We believe that it's a schedule thing now as the day he pooped in the house was the day we didn't get up early enough to let him out, so we have a time window the we need to be aware of with him. He's since been neutered, and is healing, but I don't know if that impacts his bowel control. He has been a sweetheart since the surgery, and we are keeping a close eye on his incision to make sure it heal properly. It's been 6 days since his surgery and things have been looking good, but I did put a little neosporin on the incision because it looked like he MIGHT look a little dicey. Once again, thank you for your awesome advice. I'm sure everyone here get's tired of people only showing up when there is an emergency with their dogs. I wish I could contribute more, but I'm a aquarium guy and I don't think I know enough to be of any help here. Hopefully I can learn though and be a better dog owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts