Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new female husky, she just came to our place and we decided to keep her. I think she is still young, about 1 year old. We also keep 2 other dogs and a cat- we have plenty of space for them, because we own a villa near the forest. The cat usually stays inside, but the dogs are not allowed in.
I have a few problems, and I don't have any idea how to deal with them- the most serious being that the husky is quite aggressive with our cat- whenever the cat goes outside, the chase starts. Our two dogs have grown with the cat, and they get along pretty well- so when the husky attacked the cat, they protected him.
Another problem would be that the husky keeps entering the house and is trying to steal food. The other dogs never enter the house, even if the door is open and food is close to them.
She seems to be very active, and healthy, but she doesn't really smell nicely. We tried to give her a bath, but she ran away, and since she's been here for only 10 days, we don't want to get her scared and leave- but she likes when we groom her.
Generally, she is hard to contol in any way, but what I already wrote troubles us the most.

Any advice, please?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Is she loose outside? Have you had her scanned for a chip? Have you notified your local AC to see if there is a missing dog?
Just a few questions for now.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Sounds like this person may not be from the USA or Canada, or the UK... to me...

Anyway, to the poster, sounds like you have your hands full! Huskies are an interesting breed and she'll need some training in order to get the type of behaviors you would like. Your question is pretty broad and vague, so I'm not sure where to start with trying to help you.

There is loads of information in the training and behavior sections on this forum to help you out. I think you will find the advice you get here is all about Positive Reinforcement training. Check out some of the "sticky threads" (the ones at the top of the sub-forum) and see if that gives you any ideas. After that, if you have some specific questions perhaps we can be of more use.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I've had many Huskies live side by side with cats. And I've owned over 30 of them, read my profile.
It is all how they are raised!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I joined a husky club for a while, though i've never had a husky. It was to see if I could have one. When I asked how they were with other pets most people said they could learn, if you were very lucky and got a less instinct driven dog. My sugestion is, never get a husky on a whim. It's not a "garden dog". They need A LOT of excersize to be happy and content. The less exercise they get, the more mischief they do, generally speaking.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I joined a husky club for a while, though i've never had a husky. It was to see if I could have one. When I asked how they were with other pets most people said they could learn, if you were very lucky and got a less instinct driven dog. My sugestion is, never get a husky on a whim. It's not a "garden dog". They need A LOT of excersize to be happy and content. The less exercise they get, the more mischief they do, generally speaking.
You are right, they are very strong willed, and not fit for the average family. There are exceptions to the rule in every breed, and we have many husky owners on this forum that have them as wonderful pets.
But you need you need to be patient, and have the stamina to keep up with a very athletic animal that needs tons of exercise everyday.;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree with you. It's important to have a dog that you will be happy with and that will be happy with you.The huskies are terribly beautiful, and with the right family they are amazing pets.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I'm still trying to understand how "she came to you"? Was she given to you or did you find her? She needs to be scanned for a microchip if you just found her and you need to make some sort of attempt to find her actual owners.

Secondly, huskies should NOT smell bad. Period. They are one of those dogs that don't typically have a dog smell to them. They're also very clean dogs and always groom themselves sort of like a cat. There has to be a medical reason of why she smells. Also is it possible that she got sprayed by a skunk or something?

Thirdly, huskies are not meant to be "outside" dogs. They need human interaction, attention, training. Speaking of training, the issue with stealing food is a purely a training issue.

I suggest that you read some of the positive reinforcement stickies on this site for more help, if you're keeping her.

Huskies are not an easy breed. They are an awesome breed though if you know what you're doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm still trying to understand how "she came to you"? Was she given to you or did you find her? She needs to be scanned for a microchip if you just found her and you need to make some sort of attempt to find her actual owners.

Secondly, huskies should NOT smell bad. Period. They are one of those dogs that don't typically have a dog smell to them. They're also very clean dogs and always groom themselves sort of like a cat. There has to be a medical reason of why she smells. Also is it possible that she got sprayed by a skunk or something?

Thirdly, huskies are not meant to be "outside" dogs. They need human interaction, attention, training. Speaking of training, the issue with stealing food is a purely a training issue.

I suggest that you read some of the positive reinforcement stickies on this site for more help, if you're keeping her.

Huskies are not an easy breed. They are an awesome breed though if you know what you're doing.
Posted via Mobile Device
What I mean is that she just showed up. Perhaps an important fact I did not mention is that I live in Romania. Most of the dogs here don't have any microcips yet. We (mostly my grandparents) live in a villa near the forest, 10 km far from the nearest village (but there are other villages around too- so we could hardly find the owner, if there is any. Also, the husky stays loose, so if she wanted, she could get back to her owner.

It's not the usual smell of a dog. Our vet saw the dog and said she is healthy, but couldn't explain the smell. There are no skunks here, neither any other animals that stink.

I'll try to find more info on this site. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
What I mean is that she just showed up. Perhaps an important fact I did not mention is that I live in Romania. Most of the dogs here don't have any microcips yet. We (mostly my grandparents) live in a villa near the forest, 10 km far from the nearest village (but there are other villages around too- so we could hardly find the owner, if there is any. Also, the husky stays loose, so if she wanted, she could get back to her owner.

It's not the usual smell of a dog. Our vet saw the dog and said she is healthy, but couldn't explain the smell. There are no skunks here, neither any other animals that stink.

I'll try to find more info on this site. Thanks!
I'm well aware of the situation as far as microchips in Romania and loose dogs. I'm from Romania (although we live in FL now). Totally missed your very obvious Romanian name.

If you're wanting to keep her, then start by some training stickies on this site. She needs to learn what is okay and what isn't. I won't even address the issue of what you're feeding because I understand how it is there.

On another note, are you able to post a pic of her? Again, I've never met one that smelled. She could have an infection, or even impacted anal glads which could cause the smell in which case a bath won't help. A vet just looking at her might not be able to rule out internal issues. Also, there are skunks in Romania. I just forgot what they're called in Romanian.

She will continue to chase your cat not only because she's a husky but because she wasn't raised with one.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
I would go with Nylanat said. She knows Romania, and is giving you good advice for where you live.
Wished I could have helped, but read our stickies, and hopefully they will help you.
Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts