Dog Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me introduce you to Elsa! She's a 12 week old GSD from Czech lines.

Full disclosure: She's my parent's dog! I am going home in three weeks and I can't wait to meet her!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Nice! And I don't know if you know this but why is it that it seems all European GSDs are a really dark brown color like this and not a more common sable like you see in American bred ones. Do they just like that coloring more?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
haha for a minute there I thought that you had gotten a third dog. She's so cute, I love her coloring.

Reactions: Sha

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Sabina88 - That doesn't sound like me... ;)
@Lucille - She's huge! I think my parents said 34 pounds, which is almost as big as Heidi!
@traciek88 - I don't know either, I'm afraid. The breeder said she'll be very dark by the time she's full grown.

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
951 Posts
Nice! And I don't know if you know this but why is it that it seems all European GSDs are a really dark brown color like this and not a more common sable like you see in American bred ones. Do they just like that coloring more?
Until the past few years, many European dogs came from working dog lines while most US, Canada, and UK dogs came from 'show' lines. That isn't always the case, and it is constantly changing, so it's easier to talk 'working lines' and 'show lines'

In theory, there is no such thing as a bad or wrong colored German Shepherd.

In practice there are some colors which aren't accepted in GSDs, sometimes for good reason. Two examples are white and 'panda'. Some are health related, some are related to suspecting the dog isn't pure, and some reasons are (as odd as it seems) discouragement of unique colors so people don't seek unique colors over quality.

Now, the reality is, as long as a coat falls inside the breed guidelines, then it shouldn't matter...BUT looks still always matter some. In the show ring, having a nice tan color with a nice black saddle (not too much, not too little) and a nice black mask (again, not too much, not too little) was what was 'popular' and it seemed like the judges favored it.

Working line german shepherds, it was more of a matter of how fast the dog could run after a fleeing man, and how quick he could pull that guy down etc. As coat wasn't specifically selected for, many many dogs had something other than 'classic GSD coloration'. Then the tail started wagging the dog and people who got working dogs wanted that darker coloration to help advertise 'this isn't a regular GSD...this is something SPECIAL'

Similarly, when classic fawn was the what was winning, no one cared if the working line GSD was more of a clay-red. So clay-red also was very common in working lines.

However, dogs with a clay-red coloration are now all the rage. The first ones were popular because they were 'different' but in a way that didn't threaten their likelihood of winning first place. Then like teens to the newest 'rebellion' the masses all decided they needed to all be different in the same way, and there are probably more 'red' GSD pups born last year than 'tan'.

·
Banned
1,398 Posts
Shandula,

Yeah, what a fun time that will be getting to meet and play with Elsa.

No big deal but I was curious as to your parents selection of a Czech GSD. Have they had GSDs before? Are they planning on pursuing IPO or other sport with Elsa? Just being a bit nosy I guess but I'm always interested when people choose a higher drive version of the GSD and the reasoning behind their choice.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@DriveDog - We grew up with GSDs, my dad has had them since he was a younger guy. I think he started with a GSD/Husky cross, then had the show-lines for a while, but noticed they were getting very "******" in the back. Our last one was several years ago, and this time around decided to go for a working line for the higher energy + better structure.
My parents would never do IPO (I think the thought of their dog biting anything un-nerves my mother :p) but I think they are hoping to do tracking and obedience.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
PUPPY! so cute! you have done nothing to help my fever ;)

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 11 of 11 Posts