Dog Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yesterday evening April had visitors, one of which may be the person who becomes her forever family! It was interesting to watch as she gravitated towards them, something April doesn't always do. Things will be settled on how their other dog does with April, so pending them meeting and getting along well, April is most likely already adopted! Due to timing the meeting won't be able to take place until after April has hopefully weaned a healthy litter, so we shall see at that time, but I have a good feeling about it.

I probably shouldn't say this as she will probably make a liar out of me, but April has been behaving so well these last few days, hasn't gotten into trouble and is listening better than ever, which I am pleased to see. Playing brain games has done her so much good as far as remaining content and happy, even more so on these rainy days where we can't get out for a walk much. She is so smart and really does pick up on things fast.

Her belly gets bigger by the day it seems, and she gets more tired and sleepy. Only about 3 more weeks to go before delivery! Her milk bar is really starting to develop quite a bit now and here in about two weeks she will most likely have some milk, depending on how quickly she gets it. It's crazy to think that I may be able to feel pups kicking as soon as next week! Each day I pray and hope that these babies will be healthy, this birth will be far more stressful than some others as I have no idea what I will be facing when the day comes. For now I wait, watch and love on this sweet angel!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Also I totally googled how long pups are pregnant after reading the post, I had no clue it was only roughly 2 months! Crazy how we all evolve into what we are so differently but yet so alike.
Dogs have one of the shortest gestation periods in animals, which is why they are born so helpless, being unable to see, hear, or potty on their own.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Never fails to crack me up every time she does this, lol. Look at that baby bump going on! She won't be able to lay like this much longer as things are starting to get uncomfortable for her, poor baby.

She is growing rapidly, it's shocking just how quickly. Poor girl is starting to look like a beached whale when she lays down and if laying flat on her back or side, she has to work a little harder to get up. She gets more sleepy each day as she grows, but her happiness about walks and greeting people when they come hasn't changed in the slightest. She's such a happy, goofy girl and makes my laugh all the time. I have noticed quite a bit more clingy behavior out of her these last couple days and she melts when I give her a massage. Such a sweet, very sensitive girl! She is getting all the loving attention possible and couldn't be happier about it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Taken just one week apart. It's getting real guys! 😲

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
I got my April fix this morning! Reading and seeing how well she's doing puts a smile on my face and brightens my day. Thank you for sharing her with us!

I'm so pleased to hear that she's already got a family waiting to take her home. I'm not surprised, though, as I'd love to scoop her up myself. Let's hope that she and their current dog get along with each other.

Have you kept in touch with the families that brought home Rose's puppies? How are they doing? They must be huge by now.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I got my April fix this morning! Reading and seeing how well she's doing puts a smile on my face and brightens my day. Thank you for sharing her with us!

I'm so pleased to hear that she's already got a family waiting to take her home. I'm not surprised, though, as I'd love to scoop her up myself. Let's hope that she and their current dog get along with each other.

Have you kept in touch with the families that brought home Rose's puppies? How are they doing? They must be huge by now.
Yes, sure have! Here's 9 out of the 11, all over 50lbs at 4 months old :love: Sorry, I need to update on past litters more, I get so busy and forget to do it. I see updates all the time!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
You guys, I did a thing the other day, and here's the results. April's official "pup-ernity" photos! 😍 I must say I am obsessed with these photos, haha. And now it's time for everyone's guesses; how many do you think April will have, on what day, and how many boys and girls!? To give an idea, best guesstimation she is due around the 8th of June. Also, let me know which photo is your favorite!

·
Super Moderator
1,240 Posts
I'll go for 6th June (for no other reason than I was supposed to have friends round, we will have to cancel, so this gives me a reason to look forward to the day). Two boys, three girls. And I like the first photo.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Until now I’ve been more of a secret admirer of your posts but I do regularly follow the updates and I have to say I really enjoy it and appreciate the amazing work you do!

To have any reason behind the guess on when she’ll be giving birth I looked up “special dates in June” and to my amazement I read that it’s the National dog-hunt day on the fifth of June. I thought that would be perfect considering April being a Beagle. But then I read it one more time and figured out that it was actually the “national doughnut-day”... Now in retrospect I understand that the phrase “doghunt” doesn’t even make sense😂 Oh well, I’m still settled on 5th of June.

Then I’ll guess on seven puppies in total, 4 boys and 3 girls. And my favorite photo is the first one!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Until now I’ve been more of a secret admirer of your posts but I do regularly follow the updates and I have to say I really enjoy it and appreciate the amazing work you do!

To have any reason behind the guess on when she’ll be giving birth I looked up “special dates in June” and to my amazement I read that it’s the National dog-hunt day on the fifth of June. I thought that would be perfect considering April being a Beagle. But then I read it one more time and figured out that it was actually the “national doughnut-day”... Now in retrospect I understand that the phrase “doghunt” doesn’t even make sense😂 Oh well, I’m still settled on 5th of June.

Then I’ll guess on seven puppies in total, 4 boys and 3 girls. And my favorite photo is the first one!
Thanks for jumping in! I love hearing from everyone. Haha, love it. I mean considering she would eat doughnuts if I let her... not a bad time :LOL:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The queen is on her throne 👑 I mean granted, she would probably prefer a few more pillows, maybe a chandelier... 😆

She made the transition from crate at night to the whelping room last night and did amazing, it's like she knew because when it was time for bed she walked right in and laid right down all like "this is mine now" looking at me with a very satisfied face, lol. She loves it and will go in and lay down for a bit sometimes even during the day. It's important wherever possible to get a dog used to the whelping room prior to birth that way they claim it as their space and are comfortable with it. Having had April a month now, I don't worry so much, but it's still good to get her associating the room as her space, momma dogs need to feel safe and secure where they are with their babies. By the time they are here, she will be more than ready for them to be in this room!

Having had this girl from roughly two weeks into her pregnancy, with only some stress here and there, and none in the last weeks of her pregnancy, it will be very interesting to study the behavior of her babies when they are here. It has been proven that stress in pregnancy, and lack of touch can all cause pups to be more stressed when they are born, and anxious as adults. It's been found that not only do moms that have their belly stroked a lot during pregnancy have pups that are more calm and gentle when born, the pups also learn to love petting while still in the womb, when they feel the warmth of your hand on mom's belly, they move towards it and go to sleep. I have seen this in my own litters, those that I got when a couple weeks out over those that delivered right away are always more gentle. Most of the moms I get have a lot of fear issues, anxieties and behavior issues, April is one of the rare few with barely any problems, and I have only found one thing she is afraid of. This litter could very well be extra amazing in that they have solid genetics backing them, at least from their mom's side. I love these babies more than words can say, and can't wait to meet them!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day! 🇺🇸🐕

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey all! Been a long time, but I'm back with another foster adventure! This one started a little over a week ago when I brought home a sweet little 31lb beagle, who I have named April. She was rescued out of a bad situation where she was dumped out by her owners, then kept in the neighbor's barn for roughly two weeks until they reached out looking for rescue. During her time in the barn, she was kenneled with a male beagle, she was in heat during that time and they witnessed a breeding between the two. Why they decided to keep a in heat female with an intact male is beyond me, but here we are. She has had two litters previously and is roughly 4 years old.

Just yesterday brought the conformation that she is indeed pregnant. A few days before she had developed a bloody discharge, which brought the worry of either pyometra or even aborting the litter, so a two hour each way drive to the vet that was actually still open and doing it brought the news that she is thankfully completely healthy, and about 3 weeks pregnant currently. While in a normal case, this early along the rescue might decide to spay her, but due to all going on and everything being shutdown, by the time we could get her in for a spay, she would be too far along. We made the decision to let her whelp and raise her pups, then spay her after the fact. With that said, this is quite an unusual situation for myself as though I have a great deal of whelping experience, I have never had a dog this early in their pregnancy before, so this should prove interesting see all the different stages. One thing I am extremely happy about is she will have proper care and support throughout her pregnancy, which is not something most dogs in rescue get.

Personality wise I am still coming to know her as she hasn't even been here two weeks yet, but so far this girl is by far the calmest, most laid back dog I have ever seen in my life. I would say 90% of her time is spent sleeping. She does have a need to get up and go outside to explore, she loves using her nose as does any hound, and so enjoys short walks around the neighborhood and or walks in the woods. She is extremely quiet, only getting vocal when she greets people. She loves everyone and everything, very much a typical beagle! She is pretty much house trained, only had one accident, and while she wasn't a fan of being crated at first, she does well with it now. Once she is further along, she will move over to the whelping room. Nothing is completely for certain of course given she is still so early, dogs can reabsorb, abort, or otherwise, but here's to this adventure which will hopefully end up with healthy, happy babies!

And finally, here's some photos! Plan to do a weekly "bump date" photo until delivery.
View attachment 246721
"bump date" photo, roughly 3 weeks pregnant.
View attachment 246722
A few of the photos taken over the last week.
View attachment 246723
Great Job!

·
Registered
246 Posts
And in Australia it’s Sorry Day. Also for memorial but of the specific tragedy of the past practice of the removal of Aboriginal children from their families. Interesting that they fall on the same day.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
And in Australia it’s Sorry Day. Also for memorial but of the specific tragedy of the past practice of the removal of Aboriginal children from their families. Interesting that they fall on the same day.
That is interesting!

41 - 60 of 65 Posts