Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Latest update, thankfully good news. She started eating with gusto last night, and while still limps, is back to walking on her leg and showing much improvement. Still doing well this morning and is said to be up and running around. It appears the antibiotics for the lyme have finally kicked in! Tentatively hoping she can come home tomorrow as long as all is still okay. I need her home, I haven't slept well since she's been at the vet. Fostering is not for the faint of heart! 馃槗 Thank you all for your care and prayers, please say a prayer she comes home tomorrow!

Super Moderator
So they have shelved the concerns that it might be an osteosarcoma, but the antibiotics may affect the pups, is that where we all are?

Registered
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So they have shelved the concerns that it might be an osteosarcoma, but the antibiotics may affect the pups, is that where we all are?
Yes. I was told later after posting this the x-rays do not show cancer thankfully, just inflamed joints. And yes, though the vets claim them to be safe, I have seen many experienced breeders post that the drug used is not safe for pregnancy and can cause defects. Only time will tell if the pups are okay sadly. I am preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. Unfortunately there was no choice but to start her on them due to the pain she was in because of the lyme flare.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
A difficult choice for sure but you just have to do the best you can with the deal you get, so I know everyone here will be praying for you.
Thank you 馃挆

Super Moderator
I keep checking this thread for an update on April. I hope that she starts feeling more like herself. How are you holding up?

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
My baby's HOME! 馃グ She is doing well and is all wiggles at being back. She very much missed me, screaming at the top of lungs, louder than I have ever heard before, when she first saw me again and just about diving into the car to get going, haha. After spending 10 hours on the road just for April alone this week, and worrying over her for the past four days I am exhausted, and as such will be unplugging for the weekend, so there will be no posts. I know I keep asking, but please continue to pray for her, especially her unborn babies, that they will be healthy and strong. She will be getting every ounce of spoiling and cuddles, I missed her so much! Thank you all so much for the support, means more than I can say!

Registered
I'm playing catch up again with the posts - seems like I'll never get to point of sitting in this computer chair again for long periods of time. My back just won't let me do it.

I am so sorry April and you are having such a bad start on things. I 'liked' some of the posts with bad news in them...not because of that...but because I want to let you know I like the effort you put into getting her to the vet, and also in letting us know what's going on.

She looks like such a sweet dog and also looks Very Much like a dog my paternal grandparents had for almost 18 years - her name was Mitzi because when she was a puppy, she was kind of rebellious...lol, but she soon settled down and was just an amazing, sweet, and super intelligent dog. My grandpa taught her so many tricks. Our favorite was putting a piece of food on her nose the saying "OK!" and she would flip it up and catch it and eat her treat. She was much loved and very spoiled...lol. She went everywhere with my grandparents and it their camping trailer and later a motor home, she had several beds to lay down in...in the motor home, it was a custom made platform my grandpa built that could be easily moved out of the way...and it fitted between the two seats and she could sit up and see outside the front windshield when she wasn't curled up in her well padded bed.

So, yeah, seeing April's markings and colors...it really reminded me of Mitzi.

I hope all the puppies will be ok, given the meds she has to take....and I'm so glad she didn't have bone cancer. I lost my cat, Kayla do bone cancer....just hate that word, cancer...just hate it...lost a lot of beloved people and pets in my due to cancer. Still haven't got over HaHa and it's been about 4 years now.

Take care, and I hope everything smooths out and there won't be anymore scares with April's health.

Stormy

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Hope everyone had a great weekend and Mother's Day! Mine was wonderful and relaxing, spoiling my girl, just what I needed. She was so glad to be home and the separation from me was clearly stressful on her, which I found surprising just how much. She was glued to me the first day and would get so worried if I went too far, afraid I would leave her again, even found her cuddled up with my jacket sound asleep 馃槶 She has settled down into the routine again and is doing absolutely amazing! She has the appetite of a horse, and in general is more alert and lively when she is awake, not much else has changed, she is still super quiet and sleeps most of the time. She has however gotten spoiled while at the vet, and now refuses to eat just dry food, normally I would just wait them out, but due to her being pregnant, I can't risk it right now, so just going to have to get stocked on canned food to keep this hungry hippo happy, lol. She has such a stubborn nature to her sometimes, totally giving me the the most dirty look when she doesn't want to do what she's told 馃ぃ She is starting to show, her little belly growing. She is somewhere around 4.5-5 weeks pregnant now, and is actually showing quite a bit for that time frame, so could be a big litter. The worry hangs over me for the babies, whether or not they will be born healthy, but all I can do is wait, watch, and pray. I love them so much already even though they haven't been born, it's tough to think about. She is due in roughly a month's time. She is such a darling girl, I just adore her, she's my cuddle buddy totally! She is always making me laugh with her hilariously noisy greetings every morning, and her quiet, kind personality is always sure to put you at ease.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
She has really settled in. Do I see a potential failed foster? :)
She sure has! No, at this moment I don't plan to foster fail. Still doesn't feel like "my" dog even though I completely adore her.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Her ladyship decided the couch just wouldn't do unless she had a pillow to lean on 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
The difference two weeks makes! From 3ish weeks pregnant to 5. This little stinker has been no end of trouble the last couple days. I am overjoyed she is feeling so well, but at the same time her feeling well brings out parts of her personality that are less than desirable, such as getting trying to get into every single trash can in the house and door bolting. She was such a brat yesterday she got put in doggie time out, lol. She is a spunky handful of mischief and trouble, way too smart for her own good. Her door bolting got so worrisome as she just takes off and won't listen or come back, there is now a gate preventing her from getting to the door. I have caught her the two times she has bolted, but all it's going to take is one time of her not slowing down and she will be gone, something I cannot afford, even more so as she gets closer to delivering. I have to watch her like a hawk a lot of the day or she just gets into everything. Beagles are wild creatures, and this girl is having to learn the manners she was clearly never taught. Despite it all I still adore her and she totally knows it 馃槅

Super Moderator
She's gorgeous! I love all of the photos of her being her regal self. Her eyes melted me when she looked up at the camera. I'm glad to her feeling so much better. In the end, what was her diagnosis? I'm praying that her puppies will all be healthy. I expect that you'll make some progress with her in terms of her manners before she gives birth. Some family is going to be delighted to adopt her. I know that I would be. 馃槃

Registered
Discussion Starter #36
She's gorgeous! I love all of the photos of her being her regal self. Her eyes melted me when she looked up at the camera. I'm glad to her feeling so much better. In the end, what was her diagnosis? I'm praying that her puppies will all be healthy. I expect that you'll make some progress with her in terms of her manners before she gives birth. Some family is going to be delighted to adopt her. I know that I would be. 馃槃
Lyme desases is what caused all the issues, it was a flare up, most likely caused by the stress of the change of home, etc. Me too, I so pray they are healthy and happy! She is such a good girl even if she has many quirks, lol

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Physical exercise is very important, but mental is just as, if not more so and often the one that is forgotten in favor of tiring out their body over their mind. April is not only whip smart, but also easily bored or frustrated without enough to do, so brain games come in very handy! It's important to note that while you absolutely need to give your dog exercise, you don't want to constantly be giving your dog something to do just out of a desire to make them happy as that puts them into a mindset of constant need for entertainment, and turns them into a dog that expects to be catered to every hour of the day. It's absolutely necessary that dogs learn how to be quiet and calm, learn the art of doing nothing and being perfectly happy about it. Crating, place command, and or tethering to a certain spot are all great ways to enforce this if you have a dog who cannot shut off. Teach them from puppy hood to have a great shut off, you'll thank me later ;)

With that said here's just a couple of the brain games I play with April! I do it a few times a day, 20-30 min sessions doing a variety of games, I also use this to help work on her "sit" command as I ask her to sit before putting each puzzle down for her to do. She has figured out everything I have given her so quickly, leaving me to try and figure out what next, lol. She's so smart and always enjoys these puzzles immensely!

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Started laughing at her because she was being so dramatic, and this is the face I get 馃槅 "how dare you take a photo of me in such an unflattering moment". She is a sassy diva with some very strong opinions 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
April says, Look at my teefs! She's such a goof, always making me laugh!

Registered
awww. Glad she's doing better! I know nothing about breeding or whelping so it'll be fun to be able to see her stages! I'm glad to see she has a safe place to be!

21 - 40 of 65 Posts