Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Been a long time, but I'm back with another foster adventure! This one started a little over a week ago when I brought home a sweet little 31lb beagle, who I have named April. She was rescued out of a bad situation where she was dumped out by her owners, then kept in the neighbor's barn for roughly two weeks until they reached out looking for rescue. During her time in the barn, she was kenneled with a male beagle, she was in heat during that time and they witnessed a breeding between the two. Why they decided to keep a in heat female with an intact male is beyond me, but here we are. She has had two litters previously and is roughly 4 years old.

Just yesterday brought the conformation that she is indeed pregnant. A few days before she had developed a bloody discharge, which brought the worry of either pyometra or even aborting the litter, so a two hour each way drive to the vet that was actually still open and doing it brought the news that she is thankfully completely healthy, and about 3 weeks pregnant currently. While in a normal case, this early along the rescue might decide to spay her, but due to all going on and everything being shutdown, by the time we could get her in for a spay, she would be too far along. We made the decision to let her whelp and raise her pups, then spay her after the fact. With that said, this is quite an unusual situation for myself as though I have a great deal of whelping experience, I have never had a dog this early in their pregnancy before, so this should prove interesting see all the different stages. One thing I am extremely happy about is she will have proper care and support throughout her pregnancy, which is not something most dogs in rescue get.

Personality wise I am still coming to know her as she hasn't even been here two weeks yet, but so far this girl is by far the calmest, most laid back dog I have ever seen in my life. I would say 90% of her time is spent sleeping. She does have a need to get up and go outside to explore, she loves using her nose as does any hound, and so enjoys short walks around the neighborhood and or walks in the woods. She is extremely quiet, only getting vocal when she greets people. She loves everyone and everything, very much a typical beagle! She is pretty much house trained, only had one accident, and while she wasn't a fan of being crated at first, she does well with it now. Once she is further along, she will move over to the whelping room. Nothing is completely for certain of course given she is still so early, dogs can reabsorb, abort, or otherwise, but here's to this adventure which will hopefully end up with healthy, happy babies!

And finally, here's some photos! Plan to do a weekly "bump date" photo until delivery.

"bump date" photo, roughly 3 weeks pregnant.

A few of the photos taken over the last week.

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
LoveMyFosters! You're back! I'm so excited. I've missed you.

I think you've won the lottery with April and her upcoming litter. She's so beautiful, and she sounds wonderful. You are going to have so much fun with this litter. I'm predicting that this will be an easy one, which you deserve!

I hope that all is going well with the quarantine. I'm now teaching online. I think I put in about 15 hours of work. Going to call it a night!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LoveMyFosters! You're back! I'm so excited. I've missed you.

I think you've won the lottery with April and her upcoming litter. She's so beautiful, and she sounds wonderful. You are going to have so much fun with this litter. I'm predicting that this will be an easy one, which you deserve!

I hope that all is going well with the quarantine. I'm now teaching online. I think I put in about 15 hours of work. Going to call it a night!
Thank you. So far easiest dog ever, which I am not minding at all after the last one. All is going well here, hope same for you!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Look who's playing! 😍 It's wonderful to watch as she starts to truly settle into the good life, learning it's far better than what she knew before. I see the hints of a silly, playful dog under it all. Just yesterday after getting a bath she went completely zoomie running joyfully around the house, and my heart melted at seeing her open up like that. She grows more sweet all the time as she relaxes and settles, she is often sitting on my lap as I work, and is always up on the couch sleeping next to me. You always know you got a good one when they walk into your life and it seems like the have always been there, something I have only felt with a very few moms.

She has really settled into her crating, at first she whined some, but now she will put herself to bed. Last night I asked her if she needed out to go potty as I always do, and she gave me a look, turned and walked right into her crate, lol! She has such a personality starting to come through, and while she remains quiet and subtle in her behavior, I am learning what her behavioral cues mean, just as she is becoming more open. She is the quietest dog I have seen, never heard a bark and she only whines and fusses when people come back home for being gone, when that happens you can expect to be greeted by a wiggling butt and the gleeful whines of a happy dog, even if you have only just stepped outside and come back in, lol.

I adore this girl and so looking forward to the adventures ahead! Each day brings a little new look into who she is.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The adventures with this girl never stop apparently. Last night she started whimpering in pain in moments, couldn't find anything that hurt in particular, so just kept an eye on it, well this morning just me putting her collar on had her screaming in pain, so off to the vet we went once again. They were able to find a pain response in her neck, so turns out she either pulled something or has a pinched nerve. Got her pain meds and headed back home. She gets so sick in the car, so was miserable the whole ride, poor baby was literally breaking my heart into pieces. The only good thing in all this is her pregnancy is progressing well. I hate all the stress she is having to go through right now though as I know it's not good for either her or them. Biggest thing is trying to entice her into eating and drinking, so far she has refused to drink anything, but has eaten some canned food. It's so important she doesn't stop eating and drinking as that would only make things worse. Please say a prayer for her, it would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Oh no poor baby! I'm praying that she feels better and keeps eating and drinking. Have you tried mixing a bit of broth or bone broth into her water so that it's more enticing?

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
Poor April! Poor you! I really thought you were going to finally get that "easy mom/ easy litter" you deserve. I hope that she starts feeling better soon!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After April developing a limp yesterday, things just went downhill from there. In a matter of hours she went from a slight limp to barely putting weight on it. She was taken to the vet and stayed overnight to get testing and a full workup done. It came back she has not only heartworm, but lyme as well. The lyme most likely explains the painful leg. Despite starting lyme treatment, today she has gone full non weight bearing on the leg, so unfortunately will have to stay until at least tomorrow. More unfortunate news is the drug that has to be used to treat the lyme can cause deformities in unborn puppies, so that hangs in the balance too, and fair warning to all there may be no happy ending as far as the pups go. I have no idea what will happen from here or how long she might be at the vet, only time will tell. There are no clear cut answers for anything right now, and I am beyond upset at this point 🥺 Please keep praying for April!

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry to hear that, and will be praying for her. I just hate that she's going through all of this when she finally got in a loving home.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
April is being moved to an emergency clinic. Shes not doing well. The vets at our normal clinic feel more comfortable with her seeing an ortho doc for her leg. Now thinking its unrelated to lyme, or an extreme flare. She won't move and is not eating or drinking. They are suspecting it could be bone cancer. She needs all the prayers she can get right now, things are not looking good 😓

·
Super Moderator
3,731 Posts
I am so very sorry. April should have been cared for and loved by those who had her before you instead of being allowed to carry multiple litters, including this one. Clearly, the focus now should be on what would be the most caring and humane outcome for April. If the vets determine that nothing more can be done for her, then take solace in knowing that she found love in your home.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am so very sorry. April should have been cared for and loved by those who had her before you instead of being allowed to carry multiple litters, including this one. Clearly, the focus now should be on what would be the most caring and humane outcome for April. If the vets determine that nothing more can be done for her, then take solace in knowing that she found love in your home.
Absoutuly, and hard realities will have to be faced if she doesn't get better soon I am sorry to say. I am beyond heartbroken. She is in so much pain right now, so there may be no choice. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, latest update. There was major confusion on what I was told earlier. She is still at our main vet, they decided to just send xrays to radiologist rather than moving her for the time being. Currently trying to rush that, so will hopefully hear back on those tonight. She is on a new pain med, and they are hoping that will make some difference. There is a lot of inflammation in her joint, but don't believe cancer right now. She finally ate something earlier, so there's that.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts