Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have puppies! These tiny babies (about 2-3lbs each) just arrived. There are two boys and five girls. They are only about four weeks old, with no mom, they found in someone's backyard in a box. They are full of worms, thin, and appear to either have bacterial infections, or ringworm.
They have had it rough, but from now on, it's only going to be the best for these sweet babies! Names and more updates to come!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh poor babies! Well they couldn't have landed anywhere better! Can't wait to see the transformation they make with you. How are they with people?

They are doing really well surprisingly, they are happy to see everyone. I can tell they have been starved for attention though as they go crazy whenever I pet them, I think they probably only got interaction with people when fed.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The little ones are doing much better today, they have a lot more energy and their poor little bellies are much smaller, they passed a ton of round worms as expected. The scabby and bare places on them are actually looking way better today, the redness is gone and it looks healthier, most likely due to the dirt being all cleaned off. I have noticed that all the places that are mostly bare, aren't completely so like I first thought, it just seems like the skin is raw and very irritated in those spots. Even though they have those bare places, they don't seem to be bothered by them at all as I never see them scratching, so that's a positive thing to see. They are eating and drinking well so far and just love all the attention they can get. Sorry for the poor lighting in some of these, some where taken super early this morning, and others later last night. Names are listed above the first photo, I will be getting individual photos of everyone, but at the moment am just focused on their health and keeping things restful rather than photo taking. More photos to come!

Hot pink collar is Poppy, orange collar is August, yellow collar is India, red collar is Rush, pink/white behind Rush is, Peach, mostly white girl in back with the purple collar is Layla, and next to her in green is Olive.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
The one with the red/white collar, to the left, in the last photo - that one reminds me of Bandit from Johnny Quest, as far as the markings go, but they don't look quite like Boston Terriers. :p

I hope they are all feeling better soon.

I just raised 1 puppy, with AU... and it left me exhausted. I don't know how you keep doing it....lol. AU's now about a year and 3 months and he's still high energy, but at least he's trained for the most part. : )

Stormy

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The one with the red/white collar, to the left, in the last photo - that one reminds me of Bandit from Johnny Quest, as far as the markings go, but they don't look quite like Boston Terriers. :p

I hope they are all feeling better soon.

I just raised 1 puppy, with AU... and it left me exhausted. I don't know how you keep doing it....lol. AU's now about a year and 3 months and he's still high energy, but at least he's trained for the most part. : )
Stormy

Nope not quite like Bostons, lol! That little one is Peach, the smallest of the litter, but boy is she ever feisty!

Sometimes I don't know how I manage either, between the pups, having to keep everything clean because of possible ringworm, and keeping up with normal work, it's left me completely exhausted. They are completely worth it though! :)

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Awww they are adorable! I'm a sucker for spotted puppies and dogs.

I'm so happy that they ended up with you and now have a chance at a great start. I wish mama could have been found and taken too, I hate that she's probably just going to be allowed to have even more puppies and is being kept who knows how.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awww they are adorable! I'm a sucker for spotted puppies and dogs.

I'm so happy that they ended up with you and now have a chance at a great start. I wish mama could have been found and taken too, I hate that she's probably just going to be allowed to have even more puppies and is being kept who knows how.

They are adorable! First time having cattle dog mixes for me, so super interesting!

I know, it truly breaks my heart, if this is the condition I got them in, I don't even want to know how the mom must be living. Wish she had been with her babies, they really could have used being with her for a few more weeks as well.

I was just wondering whether we'd have another litter to enjoy this summer, and here you are!

They really have had a rough start to their lives, haven't they? I look forward to reading about their progress.

Thankfully yet another litter to share! :D

Yes they have, these pups are probably in the worst shape of any litter I have gotten yet, what they must have gone through... Thankfully that is all over now and they will have the best life from here on out!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And a ton more photos! They continue to do really well, and so far their skin is continuing to scab over, so hopefully that is a good sign, can't wait for the day I can finally snuggle these babies like I so want to! Their personalities are completely adorable, with the smallest two being the feistiest of the group, (this surprises no one I am sure, lol), the cattle dog blood runs strong, the two boys, Rush and August have a bad habit of grabbing my pant legs and trying to pull me around, thankfully correction is working and they are doing it less each day but I have never before had puppies so ready to attack ankles.

Due to the possibility of ringworm, (which I am honestly doubting they actually have, but better safe than sorry) training is a bit tougher to manage, but I am doing what I can until they can have freedom of the kitchen. For the moment I am working on sit and eye contact, biting is not okay, and noise introduction. I started working on sit and eye contact just yesterday, and interestingly enough, when I first started they didn't even make the connection between face and hands, they seemed to think the two were completely independent of of each other, and eye contact was nonexistent; now they are meeting my eyes almost every time I interact with them, they are sitting way more, and they quickly made the connection between face and hands, watching them sit and meet my eyes, then wait so eagerly for my praise is just amazing!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I can say about the photos is that a pile of puppies is so much more adorable than a bunch of puppy piles. ;)

Stormy

This made me laugh, but it is true! There are plenty of those other puppy piles, I just don't take photos of those for obvious reasons, lol.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today's new items, bubble wrap and a squeaky water bottle were a huge hit! Love their inquisitiveness. Rush's tail wag though!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Adorable!!! Careful with ringworm, as I'm sure you already know. I found a three month old starving kitten next to a busy road in Aruba years ago and took him in. Brought him to the vet and got him vaccinated and tested for diseases and health certificate to fly him home to US. All the vet said was he might have a fungus infection. He had one small area on one front paw without any further, nothing alarming to me.
At home I took him to regular vet who did a ringworm culture. Took a month to come back. Kitten had no more symptoms so I had let him out with my other cats and dog and of course he was so adorable and very attached to me and I tried to lock him in the bathroom at night so he could eat his kitten food but he cried and made such a ruckus that be wound up sleeping cuddled up on the bed with me.
Of course he had ringworm, and my bf at the time who lived with me and I also got it. Fun. Had to treat the humans and the cat and do preventative medicated wipe downs daily on the dog and six other cats for at least a month plus wash and disinfect my whole apartment. From one little tiny bald patch on a front paw. I honestly thought loving on the street he'd scraped it or got caught on something.

Hope you got cultures rogjt seay and are keeping them isolated in one area. And wear gloves or wash your hands after handling them since you can catch it too.

I think a positive culture can come back in two weeks but they wait a month to make sure it's negative and see that nothing grows at all.

People get little red round circular patches on their skin, I think dime or quarter sized that are itchy the over the counter treatments are useless and you need a doctor to prescribe some cream, or a vet can lol. I learned all this the hard way.
Same cat is now almost eight and has had allergies to everything for years and gets itchy skin and scratches himself raw. The dermatologist thinks it's related and repeatedly tests for ringworm, says if they have it young it can stay dormant in their systems for years and cause immune system issues like extreme allergies.
Poor babies already get a rough enough start in life

1 - 20 of 134 Posts