Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! 'm new to the site, but not new to dogs- although this is my first time whelping a bitch.
I stopped by the shelter I work with today to get something small, and ended up coming home with a heavily pregnant bitch who was, what I thought, in the beginning stages of labor!
She labored for quite while and pushed and pushed, and we eventually saw a sack come partway out- but no progression. Then she broke the sack and the poor pups legs and tail were sticking out (it was breech).
We ended up at the vet where the sweet Mama ended up having an emergency c-section. The puppy that was stuck in the canal died, sadly, but the other 7 are just fine!
They are now in my downstairs kennel (formally the cattery!) in a baby pool with nice warm electric blankets and their Mama, who is SLOWLY recovering from the c-section.
It was like this: I picked up the dog at 3:00, we had her at the vet at 4:30, the pups were born by 5, she was back at my house by 6:30.

My head is spinning and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for dealing with a c-section mama and general new puppy mama advice?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Welcome to the forum! So glad you could join!

I love fostering! It it us such a unique experience! Thank you so much for helping this poor momma out, I'm sure she loves having a nice quiet place to lay down. For the first week or so that's all she'll want, to snuggle with her puppies, eat, potty, drink, and snuggle some more. Same for the pups, they will mostly eat, sleep and poop. It's when they start crawling around that the fun begins (and chaos).

Best of luck!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have by the way, we love talking about dogs, especially puppies!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talking about the mama- and the potty-

The kennel has one window- I heard a noise and I went downstairs, she was trying to get out of the window! I ran and got a leash to take her out, but she wouldn't leave her babies. I have wee-wee pads and newspaper down, and she later had diareahha on a pad-

Should I just keep offering her to take her outside? She must be leashed because I have dogs of my own and I want to keep where she goes separate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Here are a few pics from tonight!

Mama

PUPPY TAILS

Also, feel free to check out my facebook page- Wendy Flynn Del Monte--- I add video there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The kennel has one window- I heard a noise and I went downstairs, she was trying to get out of the window! I ran and got a leash to take her out, but she wouldn't leave her babies. I have wee-wee pads and newspaper down, and she later had diareahha on a pad-

Should I just keep offering her to take her outside? She must be leashed because I have dogs of my own and I want to keep where she goes separate.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Welcome!! These pictures are so cute. I'm going to love watching them grow and hearing about how mama is doing.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts

How long ago did she have the puppies and has she been willing to leave them at all? It's normal for a mother to not want to leave them for the first day. As far as the diarrhea goes, this is pretty common in a new mother because they are cleaning up the after the puppies. If you can, give momma some pumpkin, not the pie filling, get the stuff that says %100 pumpkin. Start by giving 1 or 2 tablespoons a day, it depends on how big she is though.

I have plenty of experience with mothers and puppies, so feel free to ask if you have any questions. I can provide some more general info, but there is so much that knowing what you are needing right now would be a big help.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is good if the mom does not want to leave the puppies.
Just make sure to keep the place nice and clean and give them a good amount of rest.
Mother dogs can get diarrhea and flatulence by the puppy poop they are licking up, but that is no reason to worry in most cases.
You could offer her some puppy food to give her more nutrients.
The puppies should be dewormed every 2 weeks. I would start when they are 4 or 6 weeks old. I would vaccinate against parvo at 4-5 weeks old and then again at 8 weeks old. Still, first ask your vet. I am no expert, just writing down the information I have on this topic.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
It is good if the mom does not want to leave the puppies.
Just make sure to keep the place nice and clean and give them a good amount of rest.
Mother dogs can get diarrhea and flatulence by the puppy poop they are licking up, but that is no reason to worry in most cases.
You could offer her some puppy food to give her more nutrients.
The puppies should be dewormed every 2 weeks. I would start when they are 4 or 6 weeks old. I would vaccinate against parvo at 4-5 weeks old and then again at 8 weeks old. Still, first ask your vet. I am no expert, just writing down the information I have on this topic.
Not trying to be rude, but starting vaccines at 4 or 5 weeks is an absolute no, no! Puppies at this age are still protected by their mother's immunity and their own immune systems are still just developing. Not only is vaccinating at that age way too soon and of no use, it's also down right dangerous to the puppies. Worming should also start when they are 2 weeks old and continue every two weeks after that since they get worms from their mom when they are born.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
@LoveMyFosters

You can now vaccinate against parvo really early with CPV 2b. It is kinda new though.
I was not sure about the deworming, you are probably right there :)
I have heard of this before, but yes it is new to most people.

found the vaccine I was talking about:
Products | NOBIVAC® PUPPY-DPV | Overview

You may have to ask your vet if he has it, not sure how popular it is.
Most vets still don't use this stuff, but I have seen people purchase it online to use on their own pups. More often than not this is only used when in a high risk area for parvo. I haven't done much research on it myself, but have heard good things from others.
Save

Reactions: Leschwa

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have heard of this before, but yes it is new to most people.

Most vets still don't use this stuff, but I have seen people purchase it online to use on their own pups. More often than not this is only used when in a high risk area for parvo. I haven't done much research on it myself, but have heard good things from others.
Save
I heard some good stuff about it. It seems to be popular with our kennel club breeders nowadays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts