Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please welcome my latest litter! This sweet momma mastiff mix (71lbs of pure huge!) and her 9, 5 day old babies (6 girls, 3 boys) Needed a safe place to go quickly otherwise they were going to be sent to the shelter. Thankfully my rescue and I were able to save them, and they are now safe and on board with me! Momma is the sweetest dog so far, and just wants to be loved. She was so tired after we got home that she laid her head down on my lap, and started falling asleep ? Needless to say I am completely in love and can't wait to share so many updates with everyone! Names coming soon. Oh, and for a little bit of a laugh for everyone, the father of these pups is a Jack Russel... not even kidding, somehow a 70lb dog, and probably 20ish or less pound dog had puppies ?

PS, sorry for not officially posting an ending with the last litter! Things got crazy. All are safely off to homes and loving life.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh my, they are adorable!! Some of those pups look to be pure white. Are you or the rescue at all concerned about any of the pups turning out blind or deaf?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my, they are adorable!! Some of those pups look to be pure white. Are you or the rescue at all concerned about any of the pups turning out blind or deaf?

None are completely white, all have at least one colored patch. At this moment we are not as the white ones are getting pigment on their noses and feet. It is something we will be watching however.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! What will this litter be called? I was wondering how long it would take until you were back!

The momma is a sweetheart, and you've gotten the puppies young. Perfect!

Names being released tomorrow. A little hint, what holiday is coming up? ;)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Puppy spam, because I am completely obsessed and spend every moment not doing needed things sitting in the whelping room watching them, lol! Everyone got their first nail trim today, and all are getting lots of handling and cuddle time, which they love, they relax right into my hands whenever held. They are just precious, I am loving going through the newborn stage again, getting to be there for their firsts is such a joy!

Momma is completely mastiff, this includes drool, leaving half the water bowl on the floor, and trying to sit all 70lbs of herself in my lap. She is such a sensitive dog. She has settled down quite a bit and is much less fearful and stressed. Pretty much from the first moment she saw me, she attached and has stayed that way, greeting me with an extra friendly tail wag each time, but she does love the whole family. She got to explore the house today a bit. She for sure knows what human food is, I was sitting at the table eating, look over and here's her watching me intently with long strings of drool hanging.

They turn a week old tomorrow, so stay tuned for those photos, along with the theme and names!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Officially introducing Zelda and the Halloween Litter! Also happy 1 week old to these sweet babies. Everyone is doing amazing and I swear they have grown so much in the two days I have had them. Weights and names listed on each photo. Can't wait to raise them up to be the best dogs ever!

Zelda, 71lbs.

Bella, 2.2lbs

Candy, 1.13lbs

Casper, 1.14lbs

Ghost, 1.12lbs

Jack, 1.15lbs

Magic, 1.9lbs

Sabrina, 1.13lbs

Spooky, 1.13lbs

Taffy, 1.10lbs

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
They are so adorable! I want to reach through my computer screen and hold them all. I love the Halloween names. I wonder how many of the families tend to keep the names you've chosen for the pups in your care.

Thanks again for bringing us another two months of pure puppy joy!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are so adorable! I want to reach through my computer screen and hold them all. I love the Halloween names. I wonder how many of the families tend to keep the names you've chosen for the pups in your care.

Thanks again for bringing us another two months of pure puppy joy!

A couple of them do, some litters more, some others less. Just depends on the person.

Absolutely! I am looking forward to sharing another adventure!

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
There is something special about a family chooses a personal name for their dog when they bring him home.

The shelter that picked up my dog as a stray named him "Pony Boy," which I rather like. Then his rescue group called him Dewey for some unknown reason. When I adopted him, I named him "Asher," which means "happiness" in Hebrew. Not long ago, I met another family in my neighborhood who named their dog "Asher" for the same reason. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A photo of momma, because she's beautiful and a little video of the babies.
Zelda continues to settle more and this morning I saw the first glimpses into the playful dog she is, getting a crazy wiggle butt and play bow, which was a first! She may be big and tough in looks, but at her core, she is a very sensitive, insecure dog who I don't think was treated the best, given her hyper submissive, full body cowering at times, and the distrust and constant watchfulness she sometimes displays of the world around her. She loves me, and from the first moment seemed to attach herself, which is a great thing as we continue to work through our time together.

The babies, well what more need said besides what I have said a thousand times already, that I am in love with them! lol They are super cuddly babies, loving to be held and settle right down whenever picked up. They are getting quite strong and are starting to get up on all fours just for a second, won't be long before the first steps of house training start too as them going potty on their own isn't far off. The most important thing at this age is lots of appropriate handling. It's very important to start the "people means good things" association from the first moment as it creates a strong bond to people as they continue to grow. Picking them up and holding them while they sleep, petting them, making sure to handle them all over, feet, ears, etc and holding them while she makes them potty (which is an extremely positive thing as it brings them relief) are some of the ways I create this association. Raising puppies right starts at birth, not when their ears and eyes open!

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Did the brown puppy with the light pink collar in the video ever get to nurse? I think it was Taffy.

I expect this will be a most gratifying litter for you. I very much doubt that many new owners begin socializing puppies so young. You really could compile your philosophy and techniques into a guide.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the brown puppy with the light pink collar in the video ever get to nurse? I think it was Taffy.

I expect this will be a most gratifying litter for you. I very much doubt that many new owners begin socializing puppies so young. You really could compile your philosophy and techniques into a guide.

Yes, that's Taffy. She did, the video she wasn't wanting to nurse, more sleeping.

Nope, they don't and pretty much no other foster does either sadly.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jack has decided he's a grown up now, starting yesterday when he was only 8 days old, he is going potty on his own, has started trying to play with his siblings, and is trying to walk! I think he's going to have his mom's head, he's so chunky already!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good morning from my happy little family
Pup's eyes are opening (will try to get a photo later) they are starting to walk, and being the smart little ones they are, are already using their potty area. Lots of cuddle time is continued daily and they love nothing more than to be held! This litter seems to be a bunch of fast developers as they are a bit on the early side for eyes opening and started going potty and wanting to walk at 8 days old. Zelda continues to be a sweet cuddle bug, and I swear to you she should have had more pups, she has so much milk that she is full all the time and always looks engorged, her 9 can't seem to keep up, which I will totally say is a first!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts