Dog Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two-year old Jack Russell, Maddi, and until recently, we had a large German-Shepherd mix dog that lived outside, Jingle Bell. Being outside, Jingle was very prone to fleas, and we would give her and Maddi Frontline or other types of flea medicines that had to be applied to the fur. They worked, but not as well as we wanted. At a recent vet visit, we discovered a new type of flea and tick repellent called Comfortis. It is a pill that you give your dogs or cats once a month. We bought it, tried it, and are never going back to applied flea medicines. Within 30 minutes of having swallowed the pill, you could see the fleas leaping off of Maddi in every direction possible. We had to take her outside for about 30 minutes so that the fleas would not get in our house. This pill also worked for our big dog, who has the run of the yard and surrounding woods. I highly suggest it for anyone who has flea problems.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I, too, use comfortis and have been very happy with it. The only issue is that my dog will not eat it willingly. I have to force it down her throat. The last time I ground it up into a powder and put it in her dry food along with her wet raw food and she wouldn't touch her dinner. Wouldn't even go near her bowl. But even though I have to force her to swallow it, I still love it over the other flea products I have tried in the past.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Like Tuckersmom, I tried it but went back to topical because ticks still got on my dog

·
Registered
3,294 Posts

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
AmandaB:
I tried every single flea/tick topical under the sun, and the only ones that worked for my Dachshund is Sentry ProSqueeze and Advantage 2

·
Registered
684 Posts
I, too, use comfortis and have been very happy with it. The only issue is that my dog will not eat it willingly. I have to force it down her throat. The last time I ground it up into a powder and put it in her dry food along with her wet raw food and she wouldn't touch her dinner. Wouldn't even go near her bowl. But even though I have to force her to swallow it, I still love it over the other flea products I have tried in the past.
I slather the pill in peanut butter. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I love comfortis. Actually the fleas that are falling and.jumping.off are soon paralyzed and die. Frontline failed big time this year here. I wish the comfortis would work for ticks as well!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My dogs are like that too. I have found that wrapping the pill in a piece of meat, like sliced lunch meat or something, and giving it to them like that works much better; and the pills usually go down. If they don't swallow the pills but spit them back out instead, putting it far down the dog's throat, closing their mouths, and stroking their throats will make them swallow it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I slather the pill in peanut butter. :thumbsup:
She is nuts about peanut butter, but she won't come near me once she gets a whiff of the comfortis!

My dogs are like that too. I have found that wrapping the pill in a piece of meat, like sliced lunch meat or something, and giving it to them like that works much better; and the pills usually go down. If they don't swallow the pills but spit them back out instead, putting it far down the dog's throat, closing their mouths, and stroking their throats will make them swallow it.
I have tried this as well. I even went as far as to take canned dog food that she is crazy about and warm it and pour a little bacon grease over it. She will sniff it and walk away. She won't even try to pick out the good stuff. This is the only puppy I have ever had that is so hard to give meds to!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
She is nuts about peanut butter, but she won't come near me once she gets a whiff of the comfortis!

I have tried this as well. I even went as far as to take canned dog food that she is crazy about and warm it and pour a little bacon grease over it. She will sniff it and walk away. She won't even try to pick out the good stuff. This is the only puppy I have ever had that is so hard to give meds to!!!
The pill for the smallest doglets is very tiny, so I guess the peanut butter overcomes the smell of the pill for Tucker and Ollie, both under 10 pounds. Our Labrador, Molly, is such an 'easy' dog in every way, and although she isn't a chow hound, she doesn't seem to mind the large Comfortis pill that she has to take.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We've used Comfortis for the past eight months. We really like it; the fleas though, have a different opinion :D. Our new dog wasn't covered in them, but you didn't have to look too hard to find one. The pill took care of them very quickly. Neither of them have issues with taking meds, thank goodness! In close to seven years, I have gotten exactly one tick off of Sam, so I'm not too worried about those. If we see a problem at this new house, I'll address it then.

Reactions: Tuckersmom
1 - 15 of 15 Posts