Dog Forum banner

new dogs is pregnant.

24K views 207 replies 16 participants last post by  jena 
#1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum so I hope this is the right place to post.
I aqquired/rescued a near 1 year old staffy bitch on new years eve.
Everything was going well until I noticed she was starting to change physically. I took her to our vet who said she was in good health and it was unlikely she was pregnant but I could get an ultrasound done to confirm.
I took her to a different vet on Wednesday and they confirmed she is pregnant with at least 3 pups. They didn't give me much advice other than to take her temp daily and that a significant drop means labour should start within 24 hours. They predicted that she was 5 weeks gone
Now my worry is that from what ive read online and the fact that on the ultrascan u could see that the pups were very well formed she's actually further gone than that and more like 7 weeks. The vet (from tye rspca) also said that I didn't need to change her diet until after the pups are born as she is a good weight again this is different to what I've read on different forums and websites.
I have a whelping box and a whelping kit on order in preparation and have watched a few videos on whelping and also how to try to resuscitate a pup if necessary but any other information would be gladly recieved as I feel quite out of depth here.
I should probably also mention according to her previous owners her first season was 2nd of December and they've written underneath 16th Dec.
Thanks
X

See less See more
#57 ·
oh sounds like pups soon! oh i cant wait to see pics and what gender and if goes well etc!

#61 ·
Wow, she's pretty big. Probably got more than 3 pups in there. The time is near, stay close!

Please ask if you have any questions or need help once she begins labor.

#65 ·
#66 ·
You mentioned that her temperature was a little low when you were at the Vet. Quite often a drop in temperature is an indication that the pups are due really soon. I have found that quite often the day or so before they whelp, they have what we have called "the long sleep" as they are storing up their energy to have the pups. Some females do not get very big milk bags till the puppies arrive.

#69 ·
I don't know what her temp was the vet just said it was a little low.
It's hard to tell on the photos but when she's waddling around her 2 back milk bags look huge she's starting to look like a dairy cow.
I've just noticed that her tummy is almost completely bald now although I shouldn't be suprised as my sofa used to be black lol I'm having to vacuum it twice a day.

#67 ·
Yeah so I think the pups might come soon. Roxy's pacing around the house sniffing up a storm and won't settle. I had to pop to the garage earlier, i was only gone 15 mins but hubby said she sat by the front door the whole time shaking like a leaf. She's got a bee in her bonnet about something.
So i'm sat here wondering if I should go to sleep and get as much rest as possible or if I should stay up for a bit and keep an eye on her.

#70 ·
I don't know what her temp was the vet just said it was a little low.
It's hard to tell on the photos but when she's waddling around her 2 back milk bags look huge she's starting to look like a dairy cow.
I've just noticed that her tummy is almost completely bald now although I shouldn't be suprised as my sofa used to be black lol I'm having to vacuum it twice a day.
Sounds like she may very well be in the 1st stage of labor. Shaking is often a sign of it. How is she acting right now, is she still shaking?

That all sounds normal. Mothers do shed their hair so the pups have an easier time nursing.

#71 ·
Sorry to ask but have you a thermometer handy? might just pay to put it up her backside to get a reading. btw not sure if i replied earlier but i am currently in wellington(capital) New Zealand but moving back to Uk to penrith cumbria uk. Jessie lands 29th April 2016 and i land 2nd may 2016 she has to fly before me :(

Thanks for heads up re pets at home vets because i was going to consider them so its good to know. so far i narrowing down to rowcliffe house vets and swife and frames i think they called?

#74 ·
Sorry to ask but have you a thermometer handy? might just pay to put it up her backside to get a reading. btw not sure if i replied earlier but i am currently in wellington(capital) New Zealand but moving back to Uk to penrith cumbria uk. Jessie lands 29th April 2016 and i land 2nd may 2016 she has to fly before me

Thanks for heads up re pets at home vets because i was going to consider them so its good to know. so far i narrowing down to rowcliffe house vets and swife and frames i think they called?
I have. I tried to take her temp about 5 mins ago but she won't have none of it she actually ran from me when I tried lifting up her tail so I've left it as I didn't want to scare her or hurt her.
I haven't heard of either of those vets so they are probably local ones?
Aw poor jessie how come she has to fly before you is it standard?
I don't know if I'd want to come back here if I moved away ?

#77 ·
Very strange night indeed. About 3 am roxy finally settled and laid down as if to go to sleep. Then all of a sudden she's sat up barks at me and laps the room a few times. She's then just sat in her whelping box staring into space for about 5 mins before lying back down. The rest of the night has been lie down, sit up, dig dig dig, lie down again so I'm wondering if she will go today or possibly tonight

#79 ·
That sounds a lot like first stage to me. It is quite possible she could go today.

Roxy's still the same lying down and then sitting up and staring. She's sitting in a kind of weird position almost like she's arched over slightly. I wouldn't say she was panting but her breathing is a bit deeper (she sounds like she's asleep)
She has eaten her lunch but wasn't interested in breakfast.
I could see her tummy moving but I couldn't feel any kicks about an hour ago.
I'm not sure if she's in the early stages or not
X
That is exactly how my dog was acting 2 days before she delivered. Stay close!

Reactions: TruckersMom
#78 ·
Roxy's still the same lying down and then sitting up and staring. She's sitting in a kind of weird position almost like she's arched over slightly. I wouldn't say she was panting but her breathing is a bit deeper (she sounds like she's asleep)
She has eaten her lunch but wasn't interested in breakfast.
I could see her tummy moving but I couldn't feel any kicks about an hour ago.
I'm not sure if she's in the early stages or not
X

#86 ·
Yes, sounds like she's fine now and is very close, her cervix is probably beginning to dilate. It's when she starts pushing and doesn't start having puppies that you get concerned and go in. If she's actively pushing and not producing a puppy for 1 hour, 2 hours max, go in. If she has a puppy and there's 4 hours pass and she's not having a second puppy, go in.

Always go in sooner rather than later....The earlier you catch dystocia (stuck pups or pups that are too big to pass), the better your outcome will be for mom and the pups.

Hopefully she will have them all with no problems!

#87 ·
She's still the same as earlier. She's refusing to stay in her whelping box now though and keeps getting on the bed with me or trying to go under the bed. She snuck in to my hubby a minute ago when I went to get a drink.
She's now as I type started making a strange noise almost like a very quiet growl or purring sound

#88 ·
Hiding in dark places is a sign that she is in the 1st stage. All of my dogs wanted to hide in a dark place when they were in early labor. I suggest keeping the room as quiet as possible and keeping the light low if you're able, turn on just a nightlight or small lamp, then once she starts delivering turn the main light back on so you can see and help.

Reactions: Cynna
#89 ·
(can't wait to find out what's happening!!! hoping everything is going well and she's having lovely pups and all are healthy!!!)

Reactions: crazy
#90 ·
Still no puppies but she's still the same at this rate I can see me falling asleep in the middle of the main event lol
She's still making that strange noise on and off. She didn't lie down at all last night she just sat there with her head resting on the side of the whelping box.
I didn't realise that about the lights I'm wondering if I'm disturbing her as I've been keeping the bedside lamp off so its dark but turning it on to check on her if I hear some activity from her then turning it off if she's just having a circle or digging.

#93 · (Edited)
Thank you for keeping us updated, it is very much appreciated! Sounds like she's really close.

You probably aren't, but does she seem bothered by it? If she doesn't then I really don't think it's a worry. However you can just keep the light on if you wish as long as it keeps the light in the room low and soft.

Reactions: crazy
#91 ·
incase pups com in next 6 or so hours good luck esp with delivery! 12 30am in NZ! must get to sleep

#92 ·
Waters have broken at 2pm (so 30 mins ago)
i think I've felt 1 contraction (felt like she was being squeezed like a sponge?)
she's only had about 3 mouthfuls of lunch (didn't eat breakfast) as well.
Alot of sighing going on but not much else
Does that all sound normal?

#94 · (Edited)
Yes that does sound normal, if you saw her water brake then you will probably see puppies within an hour. Yep, that sounds like a contraction all right, when she is doing that constantly but you can also see them happening without having to touch her, you are about to see a pup come out.

I hope you have plenty of towels ready? I'd say pups are about to come!

#97 ·
How exciting! More cute pups to admire soon! Good luck!

#98 ·
Well I feel like a right idiot right now. Had to take roxy to the vets as nothing was happening/progressing and the vet is of the opinion that she wet herself and had some discharge at the same time which is nothing to worry about apparently (I didn't know this hence me getting it wrong). He does think she's close though as she is contracting very mildly.

#99 ·
hmmm intresting! and you losing out on sleep poor you!

#101 ·
The vet wasn't very happy at all as I phoned for advice but the lady I spoke to said we needed to bring her in immediately and this could have been sorted over the phone.
I don't know why I can't sleep but it's not coming easy, it's 3:30 am here currently and although I feel tired I just can't settle whereas roxy is curled up in her whelping box snoring her head off.

#102 ·
*Sigh.. I hate it when things like that happen. Sorry you are having trouble sleeping, but I do understand how you feel. Please do try, and if nothing else just lay down and rest for a while, you won't be much help to her if you are exhausted! If she is only having very slight internal contractions it is very likely she will go in the morning or even afternoon, or she may even hold out into evening, really hard to say. If she's sleeping soundly right now then she isn't likely to have pups for at least 3-4 hours, probably longer.

#103 ·
Ok so not much happening but she's had bad diarrhea last night and today and she's been gagging a bit. Anyway I was just sat reading and I heard roxy licking something when I looked down there was a bright green stain on the bit of carpet any ideas what this could be? It doesn't look like poo unless it was pure liquid.
she's hasn't eaten at all today

#108 ·
How long ago did this happen? If it was green fluid then that means a placenta has detached and you should see a pup within 20mins or less. diarrhea often happens soon before delivery. Does she seem to be having contractions?

Reactions: TruckersMom
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.