Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 208 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
I was in UK last year and moving back. Petsathome sell wainwright so much better then what you listed. Also not sure but James beloved might be option also I will look online for you too. What's the budget for big bag food?

Reactions: LoveMyFosters

·
Banned
6,350 Posts

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
wainwrights is 4.4 stars on UK site The Dog Food Directory - now listing 1472 dog foods! id go with highest rating possible thats in budget personally. no idea if you need to feed grains to pregnant dog or not but @LoveMyFosters will know? James wellbeloved is 3.4 stars so for the price i saw overpriced.

I do know you can get taste of the wild there, with acana, orijen not sure how they fit in budget though theres one called millies wolfheart that gets 5.0 Stars. those are a few examples though. evoluation naturally when i saw it last year was expensive then wainwrights by a pound or two cost wise for small bag so prob not a option for you?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Firstly, can I say I'm sorry people on another forum were rude to you, I think the dog is very lucky to have been rescued by such a kind person, she could so easily gotten into the wrong hands. A couple of things, with regards to the food, I buy mine online from Zooplus & Vetuk is also a good site. I have no experience of a pregnant dog, but I know Applaws is a good brand & Arden Grange (my dog has that) James Wellbeloved is also good. I would avoid Hills, too much grain, not enough meat. If you can afford it then Royal Canin is very good (although I tried my dog on that & she prefers Arden Grange :rolleyes:)
On another note, be careful when finding homes for the puppies, there are some unscrupulous people out there who may want a Staffie pup to be raised for fighting or a breeding machine, I would go through a good rescue.
Good luck with it all, can't wait to see pics of the little ones!! :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi I had to get butchers today as I was running low. It's a high protein loaf with jelly which is gluten free and it is 52% meat (this is the highest I found that isn't animal derivative). I'm going to start changing her over today.
I've had a bit of a problem today. Her whelping box arrived but it's way to small and looks very flimsy so I refused delivery so I'm wondering if she absolutely has to have a whelping box or if I can use my huge chest of drawers turned over its 100 x 100 x 46 cm. We are moving into the spare room where she will whelp on Friday so she can get used to the room.
I don't know if anyone can advise but I used to have 2 guinea pigs in there up until middle of december when they sadly passed but I'm not sure if she'll still be able to smell them and get upset as I know she needs to be away from other animals.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
wainwrights is 4.4 stars on UK site The Dog Food Directory - now listing 1472 dog foods! id go with highest rating possible thats in budget personally. no idea if you need to feed grains to pregnant dog or not but @LoveMyFosters will know? James wellbeloved is 3.4 stars so for the price i saw overpriced.

I do know you can get taste of the wild there, with acana, orijen not sure how they fit in budget though theres one called millies wolfheart that gets 5.0 Stars. those are a few examples though. evoluation naturally when i saw it last year was expensive then wainwrights by a pound or two cost wise for small bag so prob not a option for you?
Hi thanks I looked at the link and found the food I had to buy today and it has a low score 2.8 but the information given is different from what's on the tin any idea why this might be or is it something simple like a changed reciepe?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
no idea if you need to feed grains to pregnant dog or not but @LoveMyFosters will know?
Pregnant dogs do not have to be fed grains, all they really need is a good quality, balanced diet.

Hi I had to get butchers today as I was running low. It's a high protein loaf with jelly which is gluten free and it is 52% meat (this is the highest I found that isn't animal derivative). I'm going to start changing her over today.
I've had a bit of a problem today. Her whelping box arrived but it's way to small and looks very flimsy so I refused delivery so I'm wondering if she absolutely has to have a whelping box or if I can use my huge chest of drawers turned over its 100 x 100 x 46 cm. We are moving into the spare room where she will whelp on Friday so she can get used to the room.
I don't know if anyone can advise but I used to have 2 guinea pigs in there up until middle of december when they sadly passed but I'm not sure if she'll still be able to smell them and get upset as I know she needs to be away from other animals.
You don't have to use a whelping box, a lot of things can work just fine such as a large cardboard box, etc. As long as she can comfortably lie down stretched out on her side with room for pups, then it should work just fine. Even if there is any smell left over from the guinea pigs it shouldn't be a worry.

Oh also forgot to add I felt kicks for the first time late last night. ??
That is normal, pups can be felt as early as the 6th week sometimes. Once she hits the 8th and 9th week you will really feel and see them kick.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It was so cool. It was a proper kick as well poor girl jumped so much she almost fell off the bed. My husband said he thought he felt something about 3 days ago but couldn't be sure.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It was so cool. It was a proper kick as well poor girl jumped so much she almost fell off the bed. My husband said he thought he felt something about 3 days ago but couldn't be sure.
Yes, it is very cool to feel them! It has actually be proven that petting momma dog's belly will wake the pups up and make them move closer to your hand, so in short puppies like pets even when they are in the womb. :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Hi thanks I looked at the link and found the food I had to buy today and it has a low score 2.8 but the information given is different from what's on the tin any idea why this might be or is it something simple like a changed reciepe?
your welcome unless the recipe changed or different flavor no idea unless false adversiting on the tin or the site hasnt upgraded it? let them know what on your tin ingredients wise.

ideally you need a 3.5-5 star food if possible. still though pedigree is awful food and your getting her off it thankfully! whats the food with the 2.8 rating out of intrest?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
your welcome unless the recipe changed or different flavor no idea unless false adversiting on the tin or the site hasnt upgraded it? let them know what on your tin ingredients wise.

ideally you need a 3.5-5 star food if possible. still though pedigree is awful food and your getting her off it thankfully! whats the food with the 2.8 rating out of intrest?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Butchers natural nutrition loaf in jelly made with beef and tripe and chicken and tripe. I can't see anything that would class as fillers in ingredients.
Also I noticed on the link that they take points off for clarity of labelling and I must say it is pretty poor it doesn't even state how many calories per 100g that I can see.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Butchers natural nutrition loaf in jelly made with beef and tripe and chicken and tripe. I can't see anything that would class as fillers in ingredients.
Also I noticed on the link that they take points off for clarity of labelling and I must say it is pretty poor it doesn't even state how many calories per 100g that I can see.
Reason ingredients differ is because they need to update it last updated June 2013. Might want to contact them to update it. I notice on the site says meat and animal detratives but yours don't. Intresting. Long term can you afford to feed this food? Esp when pups arrive she will need heaps more food that's my only concern re the food. Though could do half dry half that when she needs a lot more food. @LoveMyFosters dog lost weight nursing and to put weight on was fed 19 cups a day to put weight on belle. Not saying yours will require all that food just a possibility to think about. Though belle had 13 pups one still born.

Reactions: LoveMyFosters

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Reason ingredients differ is because they need to update it last updated June 2013. Might want to contact them to update it. I notice on the site says meat and animal detratives but yours don't. Intresting. Long term can you afford to feed this food? Esp when pups arrive she will need heaps more food that's my only concern re the food. Though could do half dry half that when she needs a lot more food. @LoveMyFosters dog lost weight nursing and to put weight on was fed 19 cups a day to put weight on belle. Not saying yours will require all that food just a possibility to think about. Though belle had 13 pups one still born.
Hmm yes I will contact them to update.
Yes I will be able to afford to feed this long term I do half wet half dry anyway and this cuts down price a bit.
We are going to watch her weight anyway as she was on the podgy side to begin with - we got her at approx 3 weeks gone and she was just under 18kg and she's put on a shed load of weight in the last week I wonder if I'm feeding her too much? She has 400g of wet food and 2 handfuls of dried food split over 3 meals currently with no human scrapes

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Roxy decided to panick me last night. She started panting at about 11pm and then shortly after started very quietly whimpering and couldn't settle. After about 20 mins she did calm down and go to sleep so not sure what happened there although I swear I saw her tummy moving at 1 point so I'm wondering if the puppies were just very active and causing her some discomfort.
Her tummy seems to have "popped" over night and she now has to be carried outside to go potty as she can't do the steps without dragging her nipples. Vets tomorrow for a check up and new scan

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Roxy decided to panick me last night. She started panting at about 11pm and then shortly after started very quietly whimpering and couldn't settle. After about 20 mins she did calm down and go to sleep so not sure what happened there although I swear I saw her tummy moving at 1 point so I'm wondering if the puppies were just very active and causing her some discomfort.
Her tummy seems to have "popped" over night and she now has to be carried outside to go potty as she can't do the steps without dragging her nipples. Vets tomorrow for a check up and new scan
Hmm, that's interesting.. If she's only 7 weeks along she shouldn't be going into labor yet. It is possible that the pups did kick her extra hard, yes. What do you mean by, "popped"? Are you meaning her belly looks bigger than before?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I'm not sure what it was. She did calm down and she's been fine today just sleeping most of the day really.
Sorry by popped yes I meant her belly. She seems much rounder today and it's rock hard.
Felt lots of kicks today and they do feel quite strong but no more whimpering or panting. A bit clinger today thou didn't like it at all when I went for a shower.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
have you been to vets yet? maybe previous owners got it wrong? i dont know but the stomach does expand and rounden to give pups more space afterall they are growing pups. think of pregant women all the time the stomach has to expand and grow and by time nearly time to give birth it is round as then it drops a bit when carrying babe lower in the pelvis ready for birth. probably same for dogs

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
We went to one vet (rspca one) and they estimated 4-5 weeks (so 5-6 weeks Wednesday just gone) but I think this is wrong from roxy's size and symptoms. Shes got vet appointment tomorrow afternoon for another scan to try and see how many pups there are and get an idea of size. Everything's ready now barring the finishing touches to the whelping box which I'm doing tomorrow and we are sleeping in the room and she seems happy in there. I've given her a blanket to cuddle upto during the day so I'm hoping if I put that in the whelping box it will make everything a bit smoother

21 - 40 of 208 Posts