Dog Forum banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's a really long story.
Owner 1 got her as a young puppy. They decided to get rid of her "because she destroyed a xmas present and pulled down the xmas tree" (complete bull in my opinion as she took no notice of my tree that was still up when she came to me) and gave her to friends then gave her to owner 2 (I don't know if cash was exchanged) and gave owner 2 proof of vaccinations
Owner 2 had her for 3 days and was walking past my house when she got hurt (stepped on some broken glass from nextdoor) i asked if they needed help as they had no control over her at all. They then told me that their landlord said they couldn't have dogs and did we want her. They gave her to me and then popped round her crate and the proof of vaccinations and left.
Personally I think they knew the possibility of her being pregnant and now the whelping over they want the profit of the pups otherwise why wait until now? They could have text/phoned at any point in the last 6 weeks but they didnt
That's a tough situation. Does seem like the original owners might be trying to make some cash off the pups. Sad! I would give a call to some rescue organizations or shelters in the area and see if they can offer you any advice. They should have a pretty good grasp on the laws regarding pets in you area.

Sucks that this is happening now. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
That's a tough situation. Does seem like the original owners might be trying to make some cash off the pups. Sad! I would give a call to some rescue organizations or shelters in the area and see if they can offer you any advice. They should have a pretty good grasp on the laws regarding pets in you area.

Sucks that this is happening now. :(
Also, if you have access, maybe speak with a lawyer... Just in case they try to say you stole their dog.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
oh my thats terrible news! how is roxy doing though? def speak to lawyers and shelters

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I've spoken to a police officer for advice and they told me that because I have the vaccination records dating from when she was 6 weeks old they cannot claim that she was stolen and it is therefore a civil matter. He also went further and said that even though it's not against the law to breed at such a young age it could be deemed neglect and considering that I have spent a considerable amount of money on ensuring her care it would be unlikely for a civil court to demand the dog be returned.
So that's a weight off my mind.
As for Roxy she is doing well. Im still having to physically lay her down at times but she is no longer just wandering off.
All the pups are putting on weight but 1 is considerably smaller so I'm keeping an eye to make sure he's getting a chance to nurse. I have noticed that although he is latching on the others are knocking him off while they are rooting around and he is then after a few minutes of trying to get back to nursing just curling up and going to sleep

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Oh man the little one sounds lazy! Lol. They are all lucky to have such an attentive human mom to watch over them!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Oh man the little one sounds lazy! Lol. They are all lucky to have such an attentive human mom to watch over them!
I think he is. He was 4th to be born and after getting him going and sorting his cord out (roxy tore it way to short) he went to sleep lol.

Not sure if anyone knows the awnser but I've just noticed that the tissue around roxy's nipples is bruised. Is this cause for concern or is it just the pups sacking so hard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I think he is. He was 4th to be born and after getting him going and sorting his cord out (roxy tore it way to short) he went to sleep lol.

Not sure if anyone knows the awnser but I've just noticed that the tissue around roxy's nipples is bruised. Is this cause for concern or is it just the pups sacking so hard
If it's bruising, then yes I would say it's just from the pups suckling too hard. Is there any lumpiness in that teat, does it feel hot at all?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Also, very sorry to hear about all the trouble with the former owners. Hopefully it can be resolved soon! I do agree with others about keeping her hidden as much as possible.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Yes I'm sure it's bruising. Her stomach is warm but not hot. I can't feel any lumps just a soft mass that I would assume is the mammory glands themselves.
She is only nursing from 1 side so I've got her to flip over to give the others a rest. I tried to get her to expose both sides by rolling her over slightly but she will only stay in that position for a few moments before moving back again.
She hasn't been interested in going for her walks so it's easy to keep her hidden atm but when she starts them up again my neighbours going to take us in the car to a field about a mile away where he walks his dogs.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yes I'm sure it's bruising. Her stomach is warm but not hot. I can't feel any lumps just a soft mass that I would assume is the mammary glands themselves.
She is only nursing from 1 side so I've got her to flip over to give the others a rest. I tried to get her to expose both sides by rolling her over slightly but she will only stay in that position for a few moments before moving back again.
She hasn't been interested in going for her walks so it's easy to keep her hidden atm but when she starts them up again my neighbours going to take us in the car to a field about a mile away where he walks his dogs.
Okay, in that case all sounds normal. Just keep an eye on it. Yes, the mass you are feeling is her mammary glands.

Good, glad you have neighbors who are willing to help out!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would keep the details of the pups, and that there are any pups, very quiet. I'm guessing there's no chance that she was stolen from the original owner if they gave up the vax records? That would be my only concern.

Be sure to get her spayed as soon as she's able. That will prevent future pregnancies, keep her healthier, prevent her from being stolen by people who want to make money off her back, and hopefully prevent the original owners from wanting her.

Those pups are so cute!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
I would keep the details of the pups, and that there are any pups, very quiet. I'm guessing there's no chance that she was stolen from the original owner if they gave up the vax records? That would be my only concern.

Be sure to get her spayed as soon as she's able. That will prevent future pregnancies, keep her healthier, prevent her from being stolen by people who want to make money off her back, and hopefully prevent the original owners from wanting her.

Those pups are so cute!
This is what the police officer was saying.

I'm starting to think that they knew she was pregnant or at least a possibility of it as I found out today from the bloke I got her off that they were supposed to be getting a tan and white staffy but ended up with roxy who is almost pure white. He mentioned as well that the male that was in the house was tan and white. The whole reason for getting rid of her doesn't make any sense either. She apparently destroyed a xmas pressie and trashed the tree but she didn't touch my tree (which still had chocolates on at the top) or my daughters birthday presents that were wrapped up in the corner.
Regardless I'm not going to mention pups and I've told the other bloke not to as well. Im not even advertising the pups at the moment just asking round friends etc

Yes I'm 100% getting her spayed as soon as possible. The vet recommended leaving it until after the pups had gone to their new homes so probably 9-10 weeks from now

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
@dc86 how is she doing and the puppies? any new updates? how is roxy(thats her name right?) sorry memory is a shocker right now. how is she getting on feeding the pups and are you still giving calcium supplement etc?

Sorry i havent been asking had a breakdown week and 2 days ago and then house dad owns next door where brother lives well learnt they have to move out 10th march into dads which means i now have to sort out what i can live without and not take as 8th march everything gets packed and shipped to UK. its crazy here but at least where i live is sold!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
@dc86 how is she doing and the puppies? any new updates? how is roxy(thats her name right?) sorry memory is a shocker right now. how is she getting on feeding the pups and are you still giving calcium supplement etc?

Sorry i havent been asking had a breakdown week and 2 days ago and then house dad owns next door where brother lives well learnt they have to move out 10th march into dads which means i now have to sort out what i can live without and not take as 8th march everything gets packed and shipped to UK. its crazy here but at least where i live is sold!
Oh I'm sorry to hear that I hope you are on the way to getting better. I haven't been doing very well myself the past few days as I suffer with anxiety so I have to go to the doctors this evening. X

Roxy's doing ok although she has become very aggressive and even mouthed me quite sharply when I tried to way the pups Tuesday night. Completely my fault as my husband said he could hear she was growling from downstairs but I didn't have my hearing aid in so couldn't heed her warning.
5 of the 7 pups eyes have all opened since Tuesday and I could see tiny little bits of eyeball on the remaining 2 last night so when I do their daily health checks tonight I expect they will be open.
One of the pups has started trying to bark and what sounds like very high pitched growling it is the cutest sound I have heard in a good while.
All the pups are looking like fat little piggies so they are doing well.
I am still giving roxy the calcium supplements although I'm not sure if she still needs them but I'm taking them all to the vet for the pups first deforming treatment tomorrow so I will ask him what he thinks.
All the pups have got so big and the look so different. I will post a pic up later if I can.
X

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Oh I'm sorry to hear that I hope you are on the way to getting better. I haven't been doing very well myself the past few days as I suffer with anxiety so I have to go to the doctors this evening. X

Roxy's doing ok although she has become very aggressive and even mouthed me quite sharply when I tried to way the pups Tuesday night. Completely my fault as my husband said he could hear she was growling from downstairs but I didn't have my hearing aid in so couldn't heed her warning.
5 of the 7 pups eyes have all opened since Tuesday and I could see tiny little bits of eyeball on the remaining 2 last night so when I do their daily health checks tonight I expect they will be open.
One of the pups has started trying to bark and what sounds like very high pitched growling it is the cutest sound I have heard in a good while.
All the pups are looking like fat little piggies so they are doing well.
I am still giving roxy the calcium supplements although I'm not sure if she still needs them but I'm taking them all to the vet for the pups first deforming treatment tomorrow so I will ask him what he thinks.
All the pups have got so big and the look so different. I will post a pic up later if I can.
X
Thanks yes i am getting better only now everything gets packed and shipped to uk 8-9th march so you can imagine how knackered i am? im doing alot better thanks. Sorry to hear you havent been doing well with your anxiety glad your going doctors at least its free to go doctors in UK its $50 NZD to go doctors here so at a guess id say thats 10-20 pounds a visit.

Thanks for the update on roxy and pups i think she is being a very protective mum towards them which is a good sign i know one pregant foster dog on here was very protective for 2-4 weeks of the pups not letting the foster mum near. So sorry you couldnt hear her growls and that happened. I except its very full on , busy hectic there and most of all very overwhelming!

thats wonderful news they fat little piglets feeding well, putting on weight and 5 opened thier eyes! lol one tried to bark already? i remember when i got my charlie choc labrador he was in his crate to rest while we watched tv and we heard this really loud noise so loud i flew off the seat to see what it was. then we looked at charlie and he barked again and it was only charlie barking!! gave us all a scare lol.

yes thats a good idea to ask the vet re the supplement glad you taking them all to the vets to get checked and wormed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
I've got a bit of a problem. The puppies are crying and rooting around constantly. They latch on to the milk bar but they are pulling and crying whilst nursing. They have also gone back to waking up to nurse every 45 mins. Mums milk bar doesn't seem as full either.
I did try to supplement them as they are obviously hungry but none of them will take the replacement milk. I have tried a bottle with 3 different size teats, a syringe and my finger. They will suckle my finger but the second I put the formula on my finger they turn their heads away.
I was told that giving mum the replacement formula can help so that's what I have done but not sure how quickly that will take affect.
What can I do? I've tried phoning the vets but they are engaged constantly at the moment

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I've got a bit of a problem. The puppies are crying and rooting around constantly. They latch on to the milk bar but they are pulling and crying whilst nursing. They have also gone back to waking up to nurse every 45 mins. Mums milk bar doesn't seem as full either.
I did try to supplement them as they are obviously hungry but none of them will take the replacement milk. I have tried a bottle with 3 different size teats, a syringe and my finger. They will suckle my finger but the second I put the formula on my finger they turn their heads away.
I was told that giving mum the replacement formula can help so that's what I have done but not sure how quickly that will take affect.
What can I do? I've tried phoning the vets but they are engaged constantly at the moment
That doesn't sound good.. What brand of milk replacement are you using? Do you have access to another kind? Also, have you tried to sponge feed the puppies? Here's a video to show you what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4KdHiRsnM

If the pups won't take the replacement at all, that probably means they don't like the taste of it and you need to try another brand. As far as the mom, are you still giving her calcium?

181 - 200 of 208 Posts