Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am new to this and using a forum, but I am in search of help, suggestions, advice, and if anybody else has felt the way I do. My fiance and I adopted two wonderful dogs yesterday, one a Maltese and the other a Mini Pinscher, and they are the most adorable little dogs. I love dogs, grew up with dgos, and have always imagined myself owning a dog. This is the first time I have a dog for myself in my own home, it's been great, but I continue to have more anxiety than I thought I would, I already suffer from anxiety, and I thought having dogs of my own would help with this and be an added benefit to my life, but I am in day 2 and very uptight. I worry about them (in a good way) since I got them. I know I am still getting to know them, so this may be a stressful process, but I shouldn't be crying for no reason, almost as if I am worrying I will fail these pups and what if it doesn't work? As I sit and type this, I watch as they sleep so soundly and I can't imagine not having them. Did anyone else feel this way or have any advice for me? My fiance is The calm one and tells me I will get over these feelings, but any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I completely understand your feelings. I have four dogs and every time I adopted one; I was crazy scared it wouldn't work out (what if my other dogs don't accept the newcomer? What if he's unhappy in his new home? What if he runs away?). But let me tell you, everything is going to be okay! Just take one day at a time and once you and your dogs will get into a routine, everything will fall into place. It's actually kind of sweet that you worry so much about them. If you have any anxiety, feel free to contact me, I'm happy to help!

Love,
Valerie

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
If it doesn't work... That's because they are dogs, not psychiatric drugs. Don't pin success with your anxiety on them. That will stress all THREE of you out. Think about what aspects of your anxiety might make your life and their care difficult, and plan for that. For example, if you are prone to panicking and need quiet time to get your bearings back, buy a handful of Kongs, stuff then with wet food and keep them in the freezer. If you dread going outside some days, get in touch with a local dog walker that can take them on short notice.

These dogs won't fix you but they will be with you, through thick and thin, like any good human friends. I adopted a dog in the wake of a horrendous break-up a few months ago (unfortunately timed during the busiest work month of my life). Turns out the dog had severe anxiety. I thought she would help me... Nope! Other way around first. She was terrified of doing basic stuff that I needed to do in order to take care of her (walks in the neighborhood, coexisting with my landlord, even potty breaks in the backyard when it was noisy). I had to take into account our special needs (her anxiety and my depression) and cut some slack for ourselves, while getting us on track for healing. We had both been through cruddy stuff. We had to work through it at a slow and methodical pace. During the first month I was honestly afraid that I had too much on my plate and that it would result in an accident (losing her if she bolted, leaving her in a hot car) so we had to slow down, be cautious, and take all the support we could get from family/friends/the vet. We survived the month! And then we survived the next! Here we are, just two girls surviving.

Over the months, something funny happened. When I stopped worrying about how to fix us and just focused on taking it easy on us while meeting our basic needs (safety, vet treatment for her anxiety, exercise, breaks from our triggers) the "fixing" kind of happened on its own. Ain't it funny how that works?

Take a deep breath. You will be okay. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts